Good morning, everyone!
I’m working on a few more big posts for later in the week, but for now we’re going to go with a random compilation of Thursday thoughts. My brain hasn’t quite woken up yet, so this could very well get reeeeeaaaallly random.
1) As it turns out, yesterday’s snowstorm was a total bust — but we still got the day off from work, which was fantastic. (I have to admit, though, my Coloradoan heart was a-breakin’ whenever I looked out the window and saw…rain.) This post from Buzzfeed sums up the whole experience beautifully.
2) Confession: I love reading my horoscope. It’s all taken with a very large grain of salt, of course, but it’s fun nonetheless. My favorite, though, is when the horoscope makes specific mention of things that don’t even remotely apply to me. For example, a) talking about opportunities to flirt with a new love interest that could turn into a serious relationship, or b) today’s offerings, which focus exclusively on home renovation. No joke. Home renovation. Considering that I’m married and living in an apartment, this is both bewildering and amusing. So, to any single, home-owning Aquarius people out there: go for broke, my friends.
3) I’m really, really intrigued by CrossFit, but I haven’t jumped on the CrossFit bandwagon. This is due purely to cost: we’re trying to save money, and I can’t justify ponying up moolah for a gym membership — even one as specific as CrossFit — when we have a free gym (and a really good one, at that) in our apartment building. So, I’m trying to figure out ways to do what basically amounts to a DIY CrossFit workout. Any ideas or resources y’all might have would be awesome!
4) I’m also really intrigued by kettlebell workouts. Basically, I love strength training — so if a workout involves strength training, I’m sure to be intrigued. The gym in my building has a few kettlebells, so I’m going to look up some workouts this weekend and give them a try. I’ll report back with what I find!
5) While I’m on this workout tangent, I should confess that I’m trying to love Pilates. I have weak abdominal muscles, so Pilates usually turns me into a twitchy, shaky mess. The first time I went to a Pilates class was about 8 years ago — at the time, one of my roommates and I had memberships to the same gym, so we decided to take a Saturday morning Pilates class to see what all the fuss was about. We’re both active, athletic people, so we felt pretty confident strolling into what we thought would be a fairly easy class. No more than ten minutes in, she and I looked at each other in shock: we were getting our butts kicked. Our legs were shaking. We thought our muscles were going to give out. We were stunned. Needless to say, I don’t dig Pilates classes (since I still sport the same motif), but I’d love to pick up some Pilates DVDs or downloads.
6) There are a few things that I’m powerless to resist buying whenever I see them being sold at reasonable prices: scented candles, cute coffee mugs, and workout clothes. The scented candles are sensible, since I usually burn them while we’re cooking dinner. We burn through them pretty quickly, so it makes sense to stock up. The same goes for workout clothes: I use them almost daily, so it makes sense to have a decent stockpile.
The coffee mugs, however, are a different story. I have — no joke — a veritable cornucopia of coffee mugs. I have far more than I can reasonably use before the dishwasher fills up. And yet…when I see a cute coffee mug, my brain goes “WANT!” The logical side of my mind tries to put up a fight, saying that we have plenty of mugs as it is, but the “WANT! WANT NOW! MUST HAVE!” drowns it out. Luckily, Brandon was with me the last time this happened and was able to put the kaibosh on it. We were at Target when I saw super cute mugs on sale for $2 — I gasped audibly and beelined for the display shelf:
Me: Omigod, look at this! It’s so cute! And it’s two dollars!
Brandon: Dude. The cabinet is already completely filled with mugs. We have no room for another one.
Me: Sure we do! And for two dollars, how can I not get this?
Brandon: No, we really don’t have room. Think about it: where would we even put this one?
Me: *Pauses while contemplating the reality of the situation* …On the counter? By the coffee machine? Strategically placed?
Brandon: *Gives me the “I rest my case” look*
Me: *Sighs in resignation, puts the mug back on the display shelf*
Anyways, those are my random thoughts du jour. I hope y’all have a lovely Thursday!
What are your purchasing weaknesses? Also, do you have recommendations for CrossFit, kettlebell, or Pilates workouts that can be done at home? (Seriously, I’ll take all the recommendations/ideas I can get on this!)