WIAW: Spring Chicken

Ok, so: I woke up this morning thinking it was Tuesday. For about 30 seconds, I was seriously bummed out and was all “Omigod, it can’t only be Tuesday. It seriously feels like Wednesday.” Then, as I groggily stumbled around the kitchen getting my coffee ready, I realized: it is Wednesday!

Insert huuuuuuge sigh of relief here.

Since it’s Wednesday (thank God), it’s time for What I Ate Wednesday, hosted by the lovely Jenn of Peas & Crayons. Oh, and because I’m inordinately excited about the arrival of spring (despite the persistently wintery weather that’s all up in our grill in DC), I have a few spring flower pictures to throw into the mix. Rest assured, though: I didn’t eat said flowers, despite their presence in a post dedicated to showcasing what I ate.

But I digress.

Like last week, this is a bit of a mash-up of my meals of late — and you’ll notice a theme here: chicken. I love, love, love chicken. My mom said she was once at a baby shower where they played a game of identifying baby foods based solely on smell, and that she was immediately able to identify anything involving chicken. Apparently I chowed down on insane amounts of it when I was a wee lass. As she tells it, I’d eat almost anything — as long as it involved chicken. As you see from these meals, that trend continues today.

wiawgoesgreenBreakfasts:

As always, I begin my day with coffee (aka: nectar of the gods). I looove nut-flavored coffees, and either amaretto or hazelnut flavored coffee will have me drooling like one of Pavlov’s dogs in a matter of seconds.

cropped-dsc00743.jpg
Almond Joy coffee with amaretto creamer: basically the only thing that keeps me sane at 5 a.m.

I normally have my beloved green smoothie, but yesterday I tried using organic baby kale from Earthbound Organics instead of my usual full-leaf kale. EPIC FAIL! It tasted awful. I mean, it was so bad that I made a face and violently shook my head in disgust each time I took a sip. I tried to fix it, but it was truly a lipstick-on-a-dying-pig situation: no amount of fruit, yogurt, or honey could redeem it. I tried holding my nose when I drank it, but the then aftertaste lingered in a truly heinous way.

At that point, I realized it was time to throw in the towel on the failed smoothie and just eat something else. Sooooo, I had some Cinnamon Chex with almond milk. If there’s one place where I can always find solace, it’s in a box of Cinnamon Chex.

Chex
Oh, and we had no clean cereal bowls, so I went slightly ghetto-fabulous and had it in a glass instead. I figure this either looks super-classy and stylish or super-ridiculous and lame. I can’t decide which one it is.

Other breaky offerings have included egg whites with GF toast, and, prior to the baby kale fail, the usual green smoothie:

DSC00680
Never again, baby kale. Never again.

Oh hai, here’s a random picture of some pretty flowers!

Flowers 1
So purdy!

Lunches:

I’ve been on a soup kick lately, which has included chicken and rice soup with added spinach.

WIAW: 6 Days Until Christmas!
This is a low-maintenance dish: I took pre-made GF chicken and rice soup and added some frozen chopped spinach. Et voila: lunch.

This weekend, though, we had rotisserie chicken from Costco (seriously, they have some of the best rotisserie chickens ever) with organic baby greens, raspberries, and avocado. It was soooooo effin’ delicious!

DSC00761
SO MUCH DELICIOUS.

Dinners:

Dinners have run a wide gamut lately, since Brandon and I are trying a bunch of new recipes. We’ve had Moroccan-spiced chicken with a carrot and chickpea tagine, chicken crusted with za’atar and served with Greek salad (both of which come from Nigella Lawson’s Nigella Fresh cookbook — she’s one of my favorite chefs, and her cookbooks are the bomb diggity), and tacos al carbon from a new Tex-Mex cookbook that we bought in an effort to soothe Brandon’s homesickness for Texas and our shared longing for good Mexican-ish food.

DSC00763
Moroccan chicken with carrot-chickpea tagine
DSC00769
Za’atar-crusted chicken with Greek salad

Oh hai, here’s another random picture of pretty flowers!

Flowers 2
Can I just say what a relief it is to see some pretty colors after months of dreary winter blah-ness?

Anywho, I hope you’re all having a lovely week — and, of course, happy Wednesday!

Have you ever had a smoothie go seriously wrong?  What’s your favorite kind of coffee?

18 thoughts on “WIAW: Spring Chicken

1. cleaneatingveggiegirl March 20, 2013 / 12:50 pm

I really need to try the Cinnamon Chex! I have heard amazing things about it. I am a little afraid that I will eat the whole box in about 2 days, though ;).

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 20, 2013 / 1:11 pm

Omigod, the Cinnamon Chex is awesome. I’m pretty sure it’s laced with crack, because I’ve been known to kill a full box in under 48 hours. So if nothing more, rest assured that if you do eat the whole box in 2 days, you’ll be in good company! 😉

2. Natalie March 20, 2013 / 1:28 pm

Your dinner’s look so yummy, such great seasonings and spice!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 20, 2013 / 1:58 pm

Thanks, Natalie! The seasonings and spices make a huge difference, and chicken is the perfect vehicle for just about any spice combo. 🙂

3. riversidebaking March 20, 2013 / 1:29 pm

Wow your meals look awesome. Breakfast in a glass is definitely cool, only cool kats do it! I have to have a go at that crusted chicken, it looks like a dream 🙂 x

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 20, 2013 / 1:57 pm

Yay, thanks for the validation on the breakfast-in-a-glass motif! 🙂 That makes me immensely happy. And I highly recommend the crusted chicken — my husband really liked it, which is a big deal.

4. chasingchels March 20, 2013 / 2:37 pm

Cereal in a glass is much classier than cereal in a mug which is my preferred method of consumption 😉 all of these chicken recipes look amazing….i’m a huge chicken fan too and can’t wait to try that Morrocan chicken dish…has my name written all over it

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 20, 2013 / 2:38 pm

WOOHOO! Cereal in a glass FTW! I’m so glad to hear it falls into the classy category and that I’m not the only one who does this. 🙂 Have an awesome day, love!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 20, 2013 / 3:37 pm

LOL – I hear that. I was skeptical as all get-out about green smoothies until I actually tried one. 🙂 I’ll post some green smoothie recipes on here at some point!

5. aftertheivyleague March 20, 2013 / 6:45 pm

Hahhaaha..the baby kale story had me cracking up! I could seriously picture the head-shaking no, just NO image in my head. Thank goodness you had some cinnamon chex to save the day. And I’ve been known to eat cereal with a legit measuring spoon before because we’ve been out of spoons, whatever works!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 20, 2013 / 7:16 pm

DUDE. Measuring spoon in place of a real spoon = brilliance! There’s a very real chance that I’ll eat cereal using a glass and a measuring spoon in the fairly near future (because a) I love cereal, and b) I hate doing dishes). Best suggestion ever!

6. livliveslife March 21, 2013 / 2:20 am

Ummm yes, Costco’s rotisserie chickens are the best!! Those flowers are so pretty…I hope you’re enjoying the first days of spring!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 21, 2013 / 9:18 am

Thanks, Liv! The Washington Post once did a review of all the rotisserie chickens in the DC area, and Costco came out as the clear winner. Costco FTW!

7. Kaitlin March 21, 2013 / 4:25 am

Oooooh my smoothies tend to go wrong all the time. Last week I tried for a thin mint smoothie and put way too much mint extract in. Fail.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 21, 2013 / 9:31 am

Oh, a thin mint smoothie sounds delicious — but omigod, it’d be one hell of a beverage with too much mint extract. (I’m imagining sort of an eye-popping “SHAZAM! WAY TOO MINTY!” moment…or at least, that’s how it’d go down if I were in a similar situation.) 🙂 I’m not sure if you’ve ever visited Oh She Glows — which has delicious recipe –, but this is the best recipe I’ve seen for a minty smoothie:

8. Ttrockwood March 23, 2013 / 5:23 pm

Dont give up in baby kale! The young leaves are much more flavorful- good for salad bad for smoothies. I have found spinach is always better in smoothies but since raw spinach is too hard for your body to get the vitamins from i always buy organic frozen (which is flash steamed and easier for you to absorb the vitamins) and the frozen spinach acts like ice cubes!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 24, 2013 / 12:06 pm

Thanks! I like the idea of frozen spinach — double duty for ice and greens is awesome. 🙂