30s > 20s (And Not Just Mathematically)

I always used to hear people say that life ends at 30. People fear turning 30 with the same level of dread that you’d feel if you encountered, say, a pack of rabid badgers.

For years, all I heard was that turning 30 heralds the impending demise of all that is fun and exciting in a girl’s life.

But I gotta say: it just ain’t true. Granted, I’m only 32 — but so far, I can definitely say that my 30s are far preferable to my 20s.

Even my 30th birthday was chill: dinner and drinks at my fave Thai restaurant. 30s FTW!

To wit:

I’m unspeakably glad that there’s no longer any compulsion to go out on the town on Friday and Saturday nights. A couple years ago, I was walking through Dupont Circle late on a Saturday night after spending the evening hanging out with one of my favorite girlfriends, who just happens to be a fantastic cook. She’d whipped up so much delicious Bengali food that I thought my distended stomach was going to give out in its attempt to process the metric ton of spicy deliciousness I’d consumed.

While walking through Dupont, I repeatedly saw gaggles of young women looking like Dolce & Gabbana threw up all over them. This was in the dead of winter, it was frigid out, and there was a biting wind to add to the misery. These girls, however, were in towering high heels and miniskirts. Without jackets.

I snuggled deep into my parka, feeling happy about wearing three layers and being decidedly un-sexy, andΒ  thought to myself, Sweet baby Jesus, do I ever love my sweatpants and movie streaming service.

My parka, also known as my BFF.
My parka, also known as my BFF.

I’m an old woman trapped in a younger woman’s body, and this “You can have the bars, I’m watching movies on the couch” motif — which people do a lot more of in their 30s — suits me quite well.

Last night, for example, Brandon and I had a raucous evening…and by raucous, I mean incredibly chill (aka: the perfect Saturday night). We picked up a couple of custom framed paintings from our local Michael’s, got dinner at our favorite Afghan kabob place, and then watched Breaking Bad until midnight. Whenever I think back on the more wild times of my 20s, I’m filled with gratitude that that particular phase of my life is over.

If this is what the 30s are like, then I feel confident in saying that 30s > 20s.

17 thoughts on “30s > 20s (And Not Just Mathematically)

1. quartercenturysouthernliving March 24, 2013 / 1:41 pm

I am laughing so hard at this – I snuggled deep into my parka, feeling happy about wearing three layers and being decidedly un-sexy, and thought to myself, Sweet baby Jesus, do I ever love my sweatpants and movie streaming service. I am SO with you!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 1:34 am

Glad it made you laugh! πŸ™‚ Comfy clothes are the best things ever, aside from, y’know, indoor plumbing and electricity.

2. Alex @ therunwithin March 24, 2013 / 2:12 pm

I feel no need to go out in DC but I do admit that i think I NEED to go out. i have yet to meet friends near me or even go to any sort of bar in DC. I know, I am lame as ever. i blame my stupid work schedule

3. cjoye7 March 24, 2013 / 4:25 pm

Lovely photo btw! And yes – a recent excursion through Adams Morgan the other weekend late at night when it was frigid made me extremely glad for my long coat and boots instead of the mini skirt and heels the girls were trying to finagle. It wasn’t a pretty sight.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 1:36 am

It’s one of my favorite pictures of us! πŸ™‚ And sweet Jesus, I haven’t been to Adam’s Morgan in YEARS. The last time I went, it involved bucket-chugging at Dan’s Cafe and Jumbo Slice…so…circa 2006?

4. cleaneatingveggiegirl March 24, 2013 / 9:34 pm

I actually just turned 25 today and was thinking about how much closer I am getting to 30! πŸ˜‰ I am glad to hear that the 30’s are great and should be looked forward to :).

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 1:37 am

Happy birthday!! The back half of your 20s are pretty awesome too — hope you had a fabulous day!

5. saradavies March 24, 2013 / 10:08 pm

I absolutely LOVE this! I’m 23 and I feel exactly the way you do… I’m glad I get to spend an extra decade in sweatpants and snuggled warm. I’m off to stream online now πŸ˜‰

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 1:38 am

Thanks! 32 year-old me has mad solidarity with 20 somethings who are all about chilling on the couch while donning sweatpants. πŸ™‚

6. jessielovestorun March 25, 2013 / 3:02 am

I’m currently in my 20’s and have no desire to act the way that some 20 year olds do… I’m much more content with a night in w/ the hubs that consists of movies, board games & some good food πŸ™‚

7. Jorie March 25, 2013 / 4:17 am

Preach, sister! At 24, I feel like I am already “over” that bar scene you described! I will go out for a beer every now and then, but I find myself annoyed with the drunk people, complaining about the loud music, and generally counting down the hours until I can go home and crawl back into my sweatpants. I think my 30s will suit me juuuust fine πŸ™‚ Awesome post!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 11:41 am

That’s exactly how I felt when I was 24 — I was over it well before I hit my 30s, and now I finally feel like life has caught up to the preferences I’ve had for a looooong time. πŸ™‚ I’m willing to bet you’ll love your 30s!

8. Meredith March 25, 2013 / 11:51 am

Alleluiah! I have been over my 20’s after living in Boston for 4 years and basically being told I “have to go out” every Friday and Saturday. No one wants to go out in the snow/freezing/icy dead of winter…no one! I am loving my “mid-to-late-20’s” friday nights in πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 8:42 pm

Amen, sister! I can barely handle staying up past 10:30, let alone braving the snow and cold in order to go out. Going out in Boston must’ve been unbelievably cold!

9. fortheintolerants March 28, 2013 / 6:29 pm

I have a friend who, when I turned 30 (and was heavily despairing), sent a cheeky email with just one line as her greeting: “Welcome to your dirty thirties. Like a fine wine, it only gets better and better from here on out.”

Damn straight, how right she’s been. You couldn’t pay me enough to go back to my teens and it would take a good 10 milllion or more for me to go back to my 20s…and I’m saying that like I mean it. Enjoy each and every moment of your fabulous 30s! πŸ˜‰