MIMM: One Lovely Blog Award

Monday has returned…replete with wintery slop.

Gross Weather
THIS IS NOT OKAY.

WTF, Monday? What’s next? Are you planning to commemorate the beginning of Passover by bringing your Biblical plague homies (frogs, pestilence, locusts, etc.) to DC for the day? I mean, wintery slop is fairly miserable on its own, but it’d be a lot more amusing if it were accompanied by a downpour of frogs. At least then maybe work would get cancelled?

Biblical plagues aside, though, there are two things making my Monday look brighter: Marvelous in My Monday, hosted by Katie at Healthy Diva Eats, and the fact that I was nominated for my first blog award, thanks to the amazing Meghan of After the Ivy League!

In true DC fashion, I’ll say this: a pajama-clad happy dance may or may not have taken place when I saw that she’d nominated me. Further, I can neither confirm nor deny any allegations of said happy dance.

But whatevs, the happy dance totally happened.

So ok, the One Lovely Blog rules are to share seven random things about yourself and then nominate seven other bloggers. And, um, I think I’m pretty well equipped to rise to the challenge of being random.

…Because I’ve never been random on here before. Once. Ever. In just the same way that I’m never, ever sarcastic.

One-Lovely-Blog

Ok, so…random facts:

1) Brandon and I had a Borat-themed wedding. I’m not kidding. When we were wedding planning, prospective vendors would want to know what our wedding’s theme was. They’d throw out suggestions like princesses, fairy tales, Romeo & Juliet (ok, why do people choose this as a wedding theme? Romeo & Juliet is a tragedy. They both wind up dead.), and the rest of the conversation would usually go like this:

Me: Um, our theme is Borat.

Vendor: *Stunned silence*

Me: You know, Borat? The movie? Sacha Baron Cohen? Yekshimesh? High five?

Vendor: *Crickets*

Me: Hello? Are you still there?

Vendor: *Sputters in horrified disbelief*

We even had a wedding sack so we could re-enact the scene where Borat tries to bag and marry Pamela Anderson:

IMG_9041
That’s me, getting bagged and carried out of our wedding reception by my beloved.

2) I absolutely loathe fish. I mean, I can’t even handle the smell of it, or anything else that comes from the ocean. I want to like fish, because I know it’s really good for you — in the same way that I want to like tomatoes and cucumbers, which are super nutritious but also high on my “I’ll barf before I eat this” list (which is a big deal, considering that I’m mortally terrified of barfing and will do anything to avoid it) — but every time I try fish, I’m unspeakably grossed out. Even the smell of it makes me want to run away. So, my apologies to my brain cells for all the omega-3s I won’t be consuming through fish.

3) I’m incredibly OCD-like in my cleaning and organizational habits. I can’t sleep when I know the apartment is messy, unmade beds drive me to the brink of insanity, and I get all twitchy and agitated if my stuff is disorganized. It’s all a coping mechanism, though: when left to my own devices, I’m absent-minded, forgetful, and generally a hot mess. So, my rigid stance on cleanliness and organization is basically the only thing standing between me and total dysfunction.

4) I miss the West like woah. Every time I see a picture of the Colorado, Texas, or the Rocky Mountains, I get that “Why is someone trying to rip my beating heart out of my chest?” feeling before realizing that, no, it’s just crushing homesickness.

This is where I grew up, and I can confirm that DC ain’t got nuthin’ compared to the Rocky Mountains. (Image source: http://www.cheyennemountain.com)

5) I cannot — CANNOT — handle horror movies in any form. Scream, the movie that most of my friends thought was so campy as to be considered comedy instead of horror, made me terrified to answer the phone for weeks. Legit horror films aren’t even a vague possibility for me, as they’ll instill unspeakable terror in me for way too long. A colleague once told me the plot line for Paranormal Activity, and yours truly had to sleep with multiple nightlights on for at least the next four days. No lie. It’s a really good thing Brandon and I hadn’t started dating yet, because that almost certainly would’ve sent him running for the hills.

Couldn’t have said it better myself, my furry compatriot in horror movie avoidance.

6) When I was in London last fall for work, I took a few hours to go to Westminster Abbey. While walking around, I happened to see a plaque listing the names of various barons and other types who were buried there…only to find the name of one of my ancestors staring up at me. I wigged out, insofar as one can very quietly and respectfully wig out in Westminster Abbey.

7) I love doing accent impersonations. I can mimic Russian, Middle Eastern, French, British, Southern, Upper Midwest, and Jersey accents, and I wish I had time to take an improv comedy class so I could put this random skill to use. Since I don’t have time now, let’s just assume that I’ll be yukking it up in a retirement community circa 2046.

And now, to nominate seven other bloggers! All these are blogs that I’ve recently discovered but really enjoy — so to all those I’m nominating, I apologize if this is the blogging equivalent of a creepy blind date where the guy calls you 5 minutes after you get home.

1) Stephanie @ Riverside Baking
2) Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie
3) Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living
4) Sara @ The Life Effect
5) The awesome, hilarious women @ A Confederacy of Spinsters
6) Caitlin @ The Siren’s Tale
7) Jorie @ The Midwest Maven

Anyways, it’s now time for me to hit the gym – and here’s a hint as to today’s entertainment while sweating it out on the elliptical:

I REGRET NOTHING.

Hope you all have an awesome Monday!

20 thoughts on “MIMM: One Lovely Blog Award

1. jessielovestorun March 25, 2013 / 11:18 am

Oh my goodness, your wedding sounds like it was ridiculously perfect & fun!!!!!

2. Jorie March 25, 2013 / 12:11 pm

Thank you so much for the nomination, Lillian! Your facts had me cracking up. A Borat-themed wedding sounds HILARIOUS. What other little touches do you do? At one of my friend’s wedding, someone changed into that skimpy bathing suit of his and hit the dance floor. I think the older people were horrified but the younger (drunker) people were rolling on the floor, laughing. My college roommate was the exact same way about scary movies. Couldn’t watch the previews on TV let alone the real deal. I described the plot of Paranormal Activity to her and she actually screamed out loud in terror at one of the suspenseful plot points. And I don’t think I was even telling it that good. Ha. Anyway, thank you again for the award!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 8:35 pm

You’re quite welcome! πŸ™‚ Other Borat touches for our wedding included a Photoshopped picture of me pushing a plow through a field in my wedding dress, which Brandon made into a poster and framed for all to see. The big thing was the wedding sack, though — his mom custom made it with our names, wedding date, and the Borat-esque tassel. We had a ton of fun with it!

3. brenaturally March 25, 2013 / 12:41 pm

I am so with you on the scary movies! Won’t watch them…no way! Not even the commercials for them. I’ll close my eyes or change the channel. My hubby likes them but I refuse. Give me a rom-com anyway. πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 8:35 pm

For real! My husband likes horror movies, but he just has to watch them when I’m not around. πŸ™‚ And I’m totally with you on the rom-coms!

4. HealthyDiva (@HealthyDiva31) March 25, 2013 / 2:05 pm

I love fish BUT I agree on the scary movies, I do not like them either!!

Congrats on the blog award and happy Monday!

5. Alex @ therunwithin March 25, 2013 / 2:51 pm

you don’t like fish? wuh oh, we should not go out to eat together ever. haha one of my favorite foods for sure

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 8:39 pm

LOL – you’re not alone in that boat, believe me! My dad LOVES seafood and can’t understand how he wound up with a kid who doesn’t like it.

6. chasingchels March 25, 2013 / 6:43 pm

Bahahahaha your wedding made my day…that’s one of the best themes ever (totally agree with you about the oddity of romeo and juliet weddings…love the music but the story? so freakin sad)! Oh and next time I come to DC, we are going to whatever restaurant you want, and you can do your impersonations for me all night long, ok?

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 8:40 pm

YES. Next time you come to DC, we’ll go to Founding Farmers, followed by a fro yo extravaganza, and I’ll do lots of ridiculous accents the whole time. WIN!

7. Danielle March 25, 2013 / 9:44 pm

Haha I’m not surprised everyone was shocked at your wedding theme…definitely different! I bet it was hilarious!
    I LOVE horror films even though they can end up staying with me for weeks!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 25, 2013 / 9:48 pm

Thanks, Danielle! We had an awesome time at our wedding, and we’ve framed and prominently displayed the wedding sack picture in our living room — so the shocked reactions live on when people see it! πŸ™‚

• Danielle March 25, 2013 / 9:53 pm

Ha certainly not the traditional wedding portrait! Great memories though!

8. quartercenturysouthernliving March 26, 2013 / 12:50 am

Thank you SO much for the nomination!! I just had to read aloud your Borat themed wedding details to Dan. LOVE. I am the exact same with scary movies! I don’t go to bed until Dan gets home, and if Nola barks at a noise, I deadbolt all the doors, haha!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 26, 2013 / 10:51 am

You’re quite welcome – your blog is awesome! πŸ™‚

And I’m glad to know I’m not the only one in the “Hell no, I won’t watch scary movies” boat. Brandon loves them, but I can’t even handle it when he watches them while I’m in the apartment (unless I hide in another room with the door closed and my headphones in). I’m such a wuss!

9. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish March 26, 2013 / 6:31 am

I absolutely LOVE that you and Brandon held a Borat-themed wedding! The Pamela Anderson sack re-enactment is hysterical! Do you have any videos documenting the other shenanigans that went down? I’d get a total kick out of watching them!

I’m the same way about house/apartment cleanliness; I can’t close my eyes until everything is put back in its proper place. Sometimes, I’ll climb out of bed five times just to re-arrange something in my room that doesn’t look right. OCD much? Yeppp.

What town/city are you from?! (I could have clicked on the link before asking, but that would have been too easy). I miss the Rockies like crazy, too, and can’t WAIT to set my eyes on them when I arrive at home next week. I’ve been planning my return to the west for years, yet I’m still here!

xoxo

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 26, 2013 / 10:47 am

We don’t have video, but we do have a ton of pictures — I coordinated with our photographer beforehand and made sure it was high on the “must take” list. I’ll post them later today!

And aaaah, the West. I’m from Colorado Springs, CO, and my husband is a born and bred Texan — so we’re desperate to leave DC and head back to our native territory. Fie upon these jobs of ours that keep us tethered to Washington!

10. cjoye7 March 26, 2013 / 9:14 pm

Awww the wedding sack. Perhaps one of the top funniest moments OF MY ENTIRE LIFE. The wedding blog was also a highlight. I still send the link to everyone I know planning a wedding. And I’m right there with you on no scary movies! EVER.