Grown-Up Saturday Morning Cartoons: Article Roundup

G’morning, y’all — imagine me raising my ginormous mug of coffee in the general direction of the computer screen and saying something along the lines of “Cheers, my friends, and happy Saturday.”

True to my usual style, Brandon and I spent last night watching Breaking Bad (we’re thisclose to being caught up), and I fell asleep on the couch at 10. I live a wild life, people. Between my dinner of leftover pad Thai, the sweatpants and hoodie I donned, and my superpower ability to fall dead asleep in front of the TV at 10 p.m. on a Friday night, let there be no doubt: Aerosmith’s Livin’ On The Edge was written about me. Obvi.

Anyways, I’m hoping Brandon and I can power through the remaining episodes of Breaking Bad, because yesterday I had an epiphany: spending all my evenings watching 2-3 hours of TV is, well, basically ruining my life. (What do you mean, “being dramatic” and “over-exaggerating”? I’M NEVER DRAMATIC, AND I NEVER EVER EXAGGERATE.)

Seriously, though: I usually spend my evenings writing, and then I work out in the mornings before work. Since the Breaking Bad marathon commenced, though, I haven’t had time to write in the evenings, which means it’s been relegated to the mornings. My mornings are already on a tight schedule, so writing in the morning has meant that I haven’t had any time to work out. I become a cranky, grouchy mess when I don’t work out, so that’s problem number one.

Problem number two? It takes me some time to put together a post that I really like, and there’s just not enough time for it in the mornings. I’ve repeatedly missed the bus during its more reliable time frame, which means I’ve also been late for work more than I’d like to admit. Which means I then have to stay late, which means I have to start cooking dinner as soon as I get home, which means there’s no time to work out in the evenings, which brings me back to problem number one about becoming cranky due to my lack of exercise.

So, like I said: it’s ruining my life. I really, really, really hope we can get caught up on the rest of Season 5 this weekend so I can go back to my normal routine. Pray for us, people.

In the meantime, though, it’s time for the weekly round-up of articles. Grab a beverage (preferably one with caffeine), unwind, get your read on, and enjoy. πŸ™‚

Health & Fitness:

NPR: Maybe Isolation, Not Loneliness, Shortens Life

NYT Well: Extra Fiber for Stroke Prevention

Greatist: Seven Bodyweight Exercises We’re Doing This Week

Time: Multiple Vaccinations On The Same Day Doesn’t Raise Autism Risk

Gender Issues:

Time: In Saudi Arabia, Women’s Voices Are Starting To Be Heard

MissRepresentation: #NotBuyingIt – Victoria’s Secret’s “Bright Young Things” and “Thigh Gap”

HuffPost Women: Real Bikini Bodies Look Like This

The Accidental Devotional: The Day I Taught How Not To Rape

NPR: In India, Discrimination Against Women Starts in the Womb

Happiness & Stress Relief

Everyday Health: 6 Ways To Reduce Stress and Protect Your Heart

Fast Company: Buddha Had It Right: Relax The Mind and Productivity Will Follow

NYT Well: Easing Brain Fatigue With A Walk In The Park

Humor & Warm Fuzzies:

NYT: Rabbi Herschel Schacter Dies At 95; Cried to Jews of Buchenwald: “You Are Free”

Found The Marbles: 20 Acts of Kindness You Can Do From Your PC, Tablet, or Phone

BuzzFeed UK: 28 Newspaper and Magazine Layout Disasters

Time: The 5 Best Comedy Clips of the Week

BuzzFeed: 31 Kids Who Just Had Their Lives Ruined By The Easter Bunny

8 thoughts on “Grown-Up Saturday Morning Cartoons: Article Roundup

1. Alex @ therunwithin March 30, 2013 / 2:34 pm

haha I love your humor with this. when I was addicted to finishing up the first season of a very guilty pleasure I feel embarrassed naming (cough the new 90210) I was staying up way past my bedtime and getting up in the morning to work out was hard. Thank goodness that is over.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 31, 2013 / 4:35 pm

Hey, as far as I’m concerned, there’s no shame in having guilty pleasures! (Have I mentioned that I genuinely enjoyed reading the Twilight books? No lie.) πŸ™‚ I’m looking forward to the day when we power through the remaining five episodes and life gets back to normal.

2. Jorie March 30, 2013 / 9:23 pm

Lillian, I can SOOOO relate to the Breaking Bad dilemma. My boyfriend and I cranked through all 4.5 seasons (seriously, keep going, it’s so worth it!) and I felt like I was sacrificing all my free time too. But we’re like robots (must. find. out. what. happens. to. Walt). Thanks for the linksβ€”I loved the Easter bunny, the real women in bikinis, and the article about loneliness vs. isolation. Great reads!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 31, 2013 / 4:33 pm

Right?! As much as it’s ruining my life, I can’t seem to stop. We have five episodes left until we’re caught up, and I’m effing obsessed. I’m glad I’m not the only one who went into robot mode in hopes of finding out what becomes of Walt. πŸ˜‰

3. Meredith March 31, 2013 / 1:35 am

I have yet to watch breaking bad, but after reading this, it looks like I may need to give it a try! I am very similar to this with the real housewives franchise…i know it’s trashy tv but I’m literally addicted, and I think we are all allowed to have a few guilty pleasures! I have had many way-too-late nights of catching up on episodes. Thanks for the great links, I’m enjoying while sipping a coffee!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 31, 2013 / 4:34 pm

Girl, we all need our trashy TV shows and other guilty pleasures — ain’t no shame there, as far as I’m concerned! (Celeb gossip is one of my favorite things in the entire world, so I can completely relate to the need for brain candy.) πŸ™‚ Hope you enjoyed the coffee and the AM reading!

4. quartercenturysouthernliving March 31, 2013 / 1:39 am

Oh my goodness, you are so funny, I love this!! I can totally relate, except my excuse is ‘Boy Meets World’ and I am not sure if that is acceptable πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte March 31, 2013 / 4:21 pm

OMG, it’s *absolutely* acceptable! I used to love that show, and I’m more than a little thrilled that it’s coming back. πŸ™‚