WAIW: All Hail Fro Yo

Howdy, y’all — ok, I know that makes me sound like a cowboy, but I’ve been homesick like woah lately, and I find that phrases like “howdy” randomly pop up in my mind.

Let’s put it like this: I had to un-“like” Colorado- and Texas-related pages on Facebook, because the pictures that were showing up in my news feed seriously bummed me out. I had to hold back tears every time a picture of the Rocky Mountains or Texas Hill Country popped up on my computer, so I decided it was time to limit my exposure to such things. Sigh.

But enough of my Debbie Downer motif! Happily, since it’s Wednesday and all, my count-down to the weekend is officially on. Also, thanks to Jenn at Peas & Crayons, it’s time for my favorite mid-week tradition: What I Ate Wednesday. Yay!

Peas and Crayons

My seriously awesome find for the week came on Saturday, when it finally (albeit very, very briefly) became warm enough to contemplate getting fro yo. I mean, warmer weather is awesome in and of itself, but it’s made even more so by the fact that THERE’S A FRO YO SHOP IN MY APARTMENT BUILDING. I’m not even kidding. This is cause for a serious happy dance.

Needless to say, on Saturday I made a trip to this magical place to sample their offerings. I left with three tubs of different flavors: Nutella, blueberry cheesecake, and salted caramel. They were all spectacular. Holy mother of God, I love that stuff.

But ok, before I carry on about the glories of fro yo, here are some other meals:

Breakfasts consisted of green smoothies galore, and on the weekend, an egg white sammich.

image.jpeg DSC00682My favorite lunch this week was spicy grilled chicken served on a ginormous bed of organic romaine and topped with what was probably a ridiculous amount of guacamole. (If there’s one condiment I can’t live without, it’s good guac. If it weren’t so highly perishable, I’d choose it as the one thing I’d want to have with me if I were stranded on a desert island.)

DSC00780Dinners have run the gamut from spinach and feta turkey burgers to the Easter dinner gluttony we had with our friends (roasted pork tenderloin with spinach salad, potatoes au gratin, and cooked carrots):

DSC00793Easter gluttony continued with dessert, and between the GF brownies (made with Bailey’s, no less, which made them uber-delicious) and all the Easter candy, I’m pretty sure I single-handedly gave myself diabetes in the course of one afternoon. I owe my pancreas a major apology, but it was totally worth it. I REGRET NOTHING.

And now, for the crowning glory: the fro yo. I tried to add some fruit into the mix to make dessert a wee bit more respectable, but as you can see, the ratio of fruit: fro yo was definitely more skewed than it should’ve been. Once again, though…I regret nothing.

DSC00783It’s supposed to finally (finally!) become more spring-like this weekend, so a return trip to the glorious den of frozen vice (aka: the fro yo shop) will almost certainly happen. I can only imagine how I’ll be once summer arrives: Brandon will find me passed out on the floor with a spoon in my hand and melted Nutella flavor fro yo all over my face. It’ll be uuuuuuugly.

In the meantime though, I hope everyone has an awesome Wednesday!

Some foodie questions for you lovely people: What are your thoughts on fro yo? Do you like Easter candy? What’s your take on guacamole?

24 thoughts on “WAIW: All Hail Fro Yo

1. riversidebaking April 3, 2013 / 10:48 am

Oh my days. I am so jealous the fro-yo here is seriously lacking ,when I was in California last year I think I ate fro-yo everyday. I’m keeping my pinkberry and My-yo loyalty cards for next time πŸ˜‰ Those flavours sound amazing, please describe them in detail so I can pretend they are in my mouth! The Nutella would be my choice too x Happy Hump Day!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 3, 2013 / 2:59 pm

Ohhh, Pinkberry. That stuff is so effing delicious! The place near me isn’t a Pinkberry, but the Nutella fro yo was amazeballs. Imagine a slightly less dense and (obviously) much colder version of Nutella, and that pretty much sums it up. πŸ™‚

2. jessielovestorun April 3, 2013 / 12:04 pm

I am completely jealous of your dessert! It just looks so pretty and classy in the wine glass.

3. cookingfortheotherhalf April 3, 2013 / 12:33 pm

I absolutely love fro-yo. I cannot get enough of it! Connor and I live really close to a fro yo chain (Orange Leaf) that is one of those self-serve kinds, with a huge topping bar. So good!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 3, 2013 / 3:00 pm

The one near me is a self-serve place too, and OMG, it’s going to be insanely dangerous once the weather warms up. πŸ™‚

4. cjoye7 April 3, 2013 / 1:07 pm

Gotta say – the salted caramel was the best. Although my salted caramel/red velvet/nutella/pistachio concoction was pretty amazing. πŸ˜‰

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 3, 2013 / 3:01 pm

Dude, I loved your concoction — it was the perfect combination of flavors. The pistachio fro yo was also spectacular, so obvi we need to go back there and load up huge tubs for our own edification. πŸ˜‰

5. cleaneatingveggiegirl April 3, 2013 / 2:39 pm

Those carrots look awesome and perfectly seasoned! I am a huge carrot lover :). I am also a MAJOR guacamole lover! It is one of the best sandwich toppers, and of course tastes amazing with chips!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 3, 2013 / 3:02 pm

Carrots are the bomb diggity! I especially like them when they’re cooked and seasoned like these ones were — I shamelessly gorged myself on them. πŸ™‚

6. The Siren's Tale April 3, 2013 / 2:47 pm

That salad looks amazing. It’s not even 11am and now my taste buds are watering!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 3, 2013 / 3:03 pm

LOL — I’m glad I’m not the only one who has that reaction to salad with guac! πŸ™‚

7. Kammie April 3, 2013 / 5:32 pm

Loving your dessert. I’ve got a big sweet tooth and I loveee froyo ❀

8. chasingchels April 3, 2013 / 5:36 pm

Yes, love, and yes! These are some of the best things ever created and my favorite parts of spring/summer…you picked amazing flavors and i now want to come to your house for dessert!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 3, 2013 / 8:01 pm

YES. I thought of you when I was in the store, filling up huge containers of fro yo! Next time you’re in DC, this just means we’ll have to have a sampling party. πŸ™‚

9. olivesanwine April 3, 2013 / 7:36 pm

For some reason, I am just so-so on froyo. I love the flavors but every time I eat it, my stomach hurts! Maybe it is all of those extra toppings I put on top πŸ˜‰ And as for guacamole, I cannot get enough. If I could eat a huge bowl of it for every single meal, I would die happy!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 3, 2013 / 8:02 pm

Girl, I hear you on the toppings — I like to load ’em up too! And amen to the guacamole love; I totally agree that I’d be thrilled if I could generously add it to every meal. It’s seriously amazing stuff. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! πŸ™‚

10. Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles April 3, 2013 / 8:17 pm

Love fro yo and really love guacamole! Easter candy? I can take it or leave it. Adding Baileys to brownies sounds like an AMAZING idea!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 3, 2013 / 8:20 pm

The Bailey’s Brownies were absolutely fantastic — I substituted the 1/4 cup butter with 1/4 cup Bailey’s, and OMG. They were amazing! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

11. practicinggrace April 3, 2013 / 10:54 pm

I’m still recovering from Easter binge eating. Doesn’t help that I still have pretzel m&ms left, wahhhhhhh. Also, I’m kind of obsessed with egg sandwiches, little fun fact πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 4, 2013 / 11:55 am

Egg sandwiches are fabulous — I’d never tried them until I was in my late 20s, but as soon as I did I was a full convert. Protein + carbs = happy tummy. πŸ™‚

12. Meredith April 4, 2013 / 2:40 am

I had to unlike some FB pages from back home too, so I know how you feel! Hope you are doing better πŸ™‚ Fro-yo in your building? Omg. I was a pinkberry frequent customer cardholder back in Boston LOL. I love the stuff! Easter candy is easily my favorite of the year because of the pastel colors!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 4, 2013 / 11:54 am

Oh, Pinkberry is phenomenal! And I totally agree that Easter candy is the best — I seriously gorge myself on it. πŸ™‚