Short and Sweet: Yea or Nay

Good morning, y’all!

I’m going to keep things on the shorter side this morning, since it’s going to be a busy day and I feel like I have approximately seven bajillion things to do. This picture was spreading like wildfire on my Facebook newsfeed yesterday, and it just about sums up the way my brain rolls these days:

Uh huh ;)

So today, I’ll go with some of the topics that occupy those 2,857 tabs — but divide them into ye olde fashioned categories of Yea or Nay (not so ye olde fashioned translation: likes and dislikes).

Nay:

• This magazine cover. I’m not one of Gwyneth Paltrow’s biggest fans, but my bigger issue is how fitness magazines fawn over her for allegedly having the perfect body. I see this all over the place, and it’s monumentally irritating. She works out for hours and hours each day and follows an incredibly restrictive diet regimen — and somehow that’s supposed to make her a role model? (Although really, fitness mags don’t ever get into the reality of what she has to do in order to look like that; instead, they cover small fractions of her routine and act like you can also have 4% body fat if you just follow her super-doable tips and tricks. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, ladies! Obvi!) However, I call bulls**t on this. Not only is it wildly unrealistic, it’s unhealthy as all get-out. Color me peeved, my friends. Colossally peeved.
SELF magazine Gwyneth Paltrow
Source: mamasarollingstone.com
  • The persistent homesickness. I’m working hard to focus on the positive and make the best out of life in DC, but I find that the homesickness creeps right back in as soon as I let my guard down. I’ve been here for four years, and I keep thinking that the homesickness will get better with time — but it’s not, so I just have to make the best of it. Le sigh.
Homesick
Source: memegenerator.net
  • With apologies to any dudes who might read my blog: I have a raging case of PMS, and it’s driving me batty. I feel like someone injected saline into my skin — and although I don’t weigh myself, I must’ve gained a lot of water weight because my pants quite literally stopped fitting overnight. I’m increasing my intake of magnesium and potassium (and cutting waaaaaaaay back on the sodium) in an effort to shed some of the water retention, but UGH. No likey.

Yea:

• One of my girlfriends recently went on a business trip to Israel, and I asked her to stock up on one of my favorite Israeli exports for me: Ahava skincare products. I love, love, love this stuff, but it’s obnoxiously expensive on this side of the pond. (Side note: ahava is actually Hebrew for love, so one could say that I have much ahava for Ahava. I’M SO PUNNY.) Since it’s so much cheaper there, I gave her some cash, asked her to go to town, and was able to get far more bang for my buck. This mineral hand cream is like a dream come true for me:

Ahava cream

• I’m finally getting back into my workout routine after the two-week Breaking Bad-induced hiatus. I really missed exercise, and I really missed how good I feel — both physically and emotionally — after a good sweat session. I will say, though, that I had a substantial epiphany during this two-week hiatus. It was a big one, and I’ll write about it when I have a bit more time — but for now, let’s just say that I’m seeing exercise, health, and weight in a very different light these days.

Exercise = my natural high

• I kind of love the fact that there’s a truly obscene number of rom-coms on my Amazon watch list. Using my time at the gym to watch movies that Brandon would never watch (I refer to this magical time as rom-coms and cardio) is quite possibly the awesomest multi-tasking I’ve ever done. Brandon would sooner cover himself in raw steak and go hang out with a pack of hungry wolves than sit through a crappy rom-com, but gawd, I love those movies. Much like celeb gossip, I fully realize that they’re horrible — but I don’t care. Cue Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You,” replace Kevin Costner with celeb gossip and rom-coms, replace the beautiful, impeccably dressed Whitney with a sweaty, yoga pants and t-shirt clad me (but keep Whitney’s voice, because she was amazing), and you have the perfect image of my feelings on this matter.
Rom coms
This is an alarmingly accurate representation of my Amazon watch list. Source: http://www.ommster.com
  • The toasted almond-amaretto coffee I bought at Target this weekend is effing sublime. It smells amazing, and it tastes even better. My long, arduous, and often frustrating search for good almond-flavored coffee was 100% worth it, my friends, because it led me to this wondrous stuff. The sheer deliciousness of this coffee has only reinforced my feeling that Target can do no wrong; while this is great for Target, it’s probably bad for my bank account. (I shouldn’t be let into Target without a chaperone, because left to my own devices I’ll gladly BUY ALL THE THINGS.) Target addiction aside, though, this coffee is a serious winner. My mornings have become considerably easier due to its heavenly qualities.

Coffee

And now, I’m off to prep dinner, write an article, get ready for work, and try to keep my ducks in a row — thank God for the coffee, my friends. πŸ™‚ Hope everyone has an awesome Tuesday!

19 thoughts on “Short and Sweet: Yea or Nay

1. cookingfortheotherhalf April 9, 2013 / 3:08 pm

Haha I love that E Card at the top — SO TRUE.

That coffee looks amazing. Toasted Almond is my favorite coffee flavor!

2. Alex @ therunwithin April 9, 2013 / 3:23 pm

so I really dig this yay or nay thing… may steal this gem from you. I agree with the magazine covers, I hate when they glorify one thing or one body. hello… so unrealistic and not true

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 9, 2013 / 9:17 pm

Steal away on the Yea or Nay format! πŸ™‚ And I’m glad to hear there are others who can’t deal with these magazine covers — here’s to being healthy!

3. Melissa April 9, 2013 / 4:01 pm

I love this post format, it’s so much fun to put together. I love almond flavor, so I may just have to hunt down this coffee….

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 9, 2013 / 9:19 pm

Thanks! The format randomly occurred to me while I was still waking up this morning, so I’m glad you liked it! πŸ™‚ And I highly recommend hunting down this coffee flavor the next time you find yourself at Target — it’s worth it.

4. chasingchels April 9, 2013 / 7:11 pm

I second Alex’s comment and would like to add that Target holds a similar place in my heart…next time I’m in DC we should do some damage together πŸ˜‰

5. quartercenturysouthernliving April 9, 2013 / 11:12 pm

I LOVE the e card.

That would totally be my Amazon watch list. Going the Distance is my favorite!! Have a great night πŸ™‚

6. jessielovestorun April 10, 2013 / 4:39 am

Um, I don’t think I realized you lived in D.C? How did I not know this.. and why did Caitlin and I not see you when we were there?!!

7. Jorie April 10, 2013 / 5:32 am

Lillian, I can so relate on the Target front. I do not visit Target without spending less than $100. I call it the Target Curse and it’s a very real thing. My boyfriend makes fun of me but just accompanied me on two Target runs and saw the effect of the curse in action! He had to drag me away from the purses.

Good on ya for calling out that magazine cover. Super lame. They never mention the 1,000-calorie diet or three hours daily in the gym. Nah, just lift a few dumbbells and eat some spinach and you too can weigh less than 100 lbs at 5’10” tall! Major eyeroll.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 10, 2013 / 1:40 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who loses all semblance of self-control in Target! And OMG, the purses. They have some super cute ones available right now, and I had to work realllly hard to keep from buying them. πŸ˜‰

8. Adventures in Kevin's World April 10, 2013 / 7:25 am

I’m a (straight) guy, and I don’t get the Gwyneth Paltrow thing either. And while we’re on that type of rant, I just love all the women’s “image” magazines (like Self). They purport to want to make women feel better about themselves, but I think they do just the opposite. Ridiculous dieting role models from stars with lots of free time and personal trainers.
    Thanks for a fun read.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 10, 2013 / 1:42 pm

Thanks, Kevin! I completely agree — the alleged purpose of these mags is to help women feel good, but I’ve found that every time I read one, I feel like absolute crap. There have been times when it takes me days to get over it. Now that I’ve realized what’s really going on, the whole thing just pisses me off. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who feels like this — and it’s especially good to know that there are guys who are on the same page. Thanks for reading and commenting!

9. cjoye7 April 10, 2013 / 1:28 pm

Hooray for Ahava!! And that coffee looks A.MA.ZING. Next time you want to make a Costco run you just let me know – cuz, I’ve got lots of time on my hands these days. πŸ˜‰

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 10, 2013 / 1:43 pm

Girl, any time you want to hit up Costco/Target, you know I’ve got wheels and would be happy to provide transportation!