Adventures in Blending: The Linzertorte Smoothie

I have a very special relationship with my blender. It’s one of my most heavily-used kitchen appliances, to the extent that hardly a day goes by when I don’t bust that baby out and blend green smoothies to my little heart’s content.

The one issue, however, is that I do get into smoothie ruts (#FirstWorldProblems, I know). A gal can only have so much smoothie monotony before her taste buds start to stage a rebellion as they demand change. What do they want? A new smoothie concoction! When do they want it? NOW!

Knowing this, one of my challenges to myself lately has been to come up with a new recipe so as to avoid the dreaded smoothie rut. So, in honor of the So Fresh, So Clean Challenge (I love the Outkast reference there, too), I decided to get creative and think up a springtime smoothie recipe to take me out of my normal blending routine.

Enter the linzertorte.

WTF is a linzertorte, you ask, and why on earth would I want to replicate one in my smoothie? Allow me to ‘splain myself: the linzertorte is an Austrian/German confection made with almond flour and raspberries, and it’s gooooooooo-ooood. Like, mind-bogglingly good. Eat-the-whole-thing-in-one-sitting good. Demand-that-you-own-All-The-Linzertortes good.

Source: http://www.goodheavensbaking.com

When I was little, my mom would occasionally have a hankering for linzertorte, and we’d drive across town to the German bakery so she could pick one up. She discovered them while she was living in Munich as a teenager; her dad became the head of Radio Free Europe when she was 17, so the whole family moved to Germany for a few years. While she didn’t pick up an affinity for German beer, she definitely became enamored by the venerable linzertorte — and she passed that love on to me.

I vividly remember the first time I tried linzertorte: I was 9 or 10 years old, and I was all kinds of skeptical about this strange and foreign baked good. My mom convinced me to have a teeeeeny taste, and I was immediately hooked. I was totally certain that my taste buds had just entered a new realm of enlightenment and glory after exactly one bite.

So, I decided to get all ambitious and re-create the linzertorte in, of all things, a kale smoothie. (Kale is one of those things that I really want to like, because it’s so gosh-darn good for you — but in order for me to consume it, I have to disguise the taste. Hence why I put it in a smoothie with a bajillion other ingredients.)

The miraculous thing? It worked. This smoothie is filled with almondy, raspberry-y deliciousness, as well as…kale. Which, on its own, is decidedly not filled with almondy, raspberry-y deliciousness. Which is why this smoothie is kind of magical.

I’m not kidding.

Granted, it’s not the most beautiful of smoothies — but its lack of aesthetic appeal is more than redeemed by its obscenely high nutrient density and its sheer deliciousness. I’m really happy with how it turned out, and I’m oh so glad that I decided to give this recipe a whirl. (Pun intended. Sorry, that was awful, I know — but I just can’t help myself when it comes to bad puns. It’s an addiction!)

DSC00810-001
“Achtung! I am zee linzertorte smoothie! Drink me or you will be shot!”

Linzertorte Green Smoothie

• 1 cup kale, de-stemmed and rinsed
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries
  • 2 scoops Vega Vanilla Almondilla protein powder OR 2 scoops of the vanilla flavored protein powder of your choice + 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
  • 1 cup almond milk + 1/2 cup water
  • Ice cubes (I used a generous handful)

Throw the ingredients in a blender, and blend for 1-2 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

Do you guys like smoothies? If so, what’s your favorite smoothie recipe?

15 thoughts on “Adventures in Blending: The Linzertorte Smoothie

1. cookingfortheotherhalf April 11, 2013 / 11:27 am

Um. This looks. AWESOME! Can’t wait to try!

I love smoothies. My favorite combo is simple but so good – vanilla protein powder, vanilla soy milk, ice, banana, and a little bit of peanut or almond butter.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 11, 2013 / 1:43 pm

Ooooh, that smoothie recipe sounds divine. I feel like one can never, ever go wrong with peanut butter and banana. 🙂

2. Greg April 11, 2013 / 1:42 pm

What kind of blender do you use?

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 11, 2013 / 1:45 pm

It’s a Kitchen Aid, although I’m not sure what model it is. It was a birthday gift a few years ago, so I confess to ignorance on a lot of the specs. It definitely isn’t one of those uber-expensive, fancy models — I’ve had great luck with the reasonably-priced blenders (my parents have a Hamilton Beach blender that they got at Target for $30, and it’s fantastic).

3. IHeartVegetables April 11, 2013 / 2:49 pm

I loooove smoothies! I like peanut butter & chocolate ones, or banana & vanilla combos. I use my VitaMix on a daily basis! It’s fantastic!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 11, 2013 / 10:09 pm

I hope to someday own a Vitamix – that and a gas grill are my big culinary dreams. Someday!!

4. Mary April 11, 2013 / 3:28 pm

This sounds so good! I love almond flavored anything :0)

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 11, 2013 / 10:07 pm

I do too! My great fear is that I will wind up with a kid who has nut allergies and will have to forgo my beloved nutty flavors.

5. The Siren's Tale April 11, 2013 / 4:02 pm

I am definitely going to try this! Kale and I have been duking it out for the past few weeks. I’m trying so hard to like it, like you said for the health benefits… but yech, it’s not my favorite. Can’t wait to hide it in a smoothie!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 11, 2013 / 10:06 pm

In my experience, hiding it is the best way to go. Some people love kale on its own (blech), but I’m not one of them!

• The Siren's Tale April 12, 2013 / 12:17 am

Have you ever tried kale “chips”? People have told me it’s good in the oven spritzed with a tiny bit of EVOO and sea salt, but I’m scared to try! Haha

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 12, 2013 / 2:58 pm

Indeed I have, and I love them! They taste totally different when they’ve been EVOO’ed and baked — kale chips were actually my first introduction to kale, and I was hooked on them after, like, one bite.

6. Melissa April 11, 2013 / 5:03 pm

love love love smoothies. I like the traditional peanut butter + banana + spinach combo, but if I have it on hand I’ll always go with a mango smoothie!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 11, 2013 / 10:04 pm

Confession: I’ve never tried the traditional banana, PB, and spinach combo – I keep meaning to, and then I think up some random concoction and get distracted. It sounds delicious, though!

7. Alex @ therunwithin April 11, 2013 / 7:45 pm

that actually sounds freaking delicious and I have never been a big fan of spinach in things.