MIMM: A Premium on Comfort

Good morning, lovely people — I hope everyone had an awesome weekend! Mine was fantastic, although now I’m desperate for more caffeine after a night of supremely weird dreams. (Seriously, brain, WTF? Dreams about my teeth falling out? Gross!)

Weird dreams aside, though, our weekend was awesome: we spent time with some good friends and their adorable daughter, caught up on some of the DVR backlog that accumulated while we were on our Breaking Bad marathon, I made another trip to Target (!!!!), and I gave the apartment a thorough cleaning in anticipation for a special visitor arriving tomorrow…but before I go into the details, I owe a big thank you to Katie from Healthy Diva Eats for hosting Marvelous In My Monday. Muchas gracias, mamacita!

While at Target on Sunday, I got sidetracked by approximately eleventy bajillion displays. (This is par for the course for me, since being in Target means that I have the attention span of a fruit fly.) The most notable among them were cute pajama pants, scented candles, and coffee mugs…but really, it’s Target, so the list goes on (and on and on and on).

I remarked to my friend Christie —Β  who had the courage to brave the masses at Target with me — that I clearly have a problem, because I’m powerless when presented with cute PJ pants, scented candles, or anything of that ilk.

Her response? “You don’t have a problem. You just place a premium on comfort.”

YES. THIS IS WHY WE’RE FRIENDS, Y’ALL.

I picked up some adorbz and insanely comfortable pajama pantalones as well as a scented candle (because, y’know, comfort) — but in an act of tremendous self-control, I resisted the urge for another coffee mug. To quote the DirecTV commercial that I love, I am epic win.

DSC00818-001
So much comfy.

After loading up on my creature comforts, I dove into a deep clean of the apartment (I still have a few things to do tonight, but it’s mostly done). I love it when my home is clean and organized — I vividly recall waking up one morning when I was 8 years old, looking around my generally messy room, and thinking “My life would be a lot easier if I was clean and organized. I’m going to do that from now on.”

And, wouldn’t ya know, that’s exactly what I did. Since that fateful day in 1989, I’ve made my bed every day (and, in fact, am driven mildly insane by an unmade bed) and have been all about keeping my shiz in order. Mildly OCD? Maybe. But, as Gretchen Rubin so accurately noted in The Happiness Project, outer order leads to inner calm. Amen, sister soultrain. Amen.

DSC00817-001
I love list. Not lamp. List.

This deep clean was particularly special, though, in light of a certain guest who will arrive tomorrow evening: my mom! (*Insert happy dance here*)

One of the biggest difficulties in living out East is being far away from my parents. Plane tickets between Colorado and DC aren’t cheap, which means we only get to see each other a couple of times a year — so needless to say, I’m incredibly excited to see my mama.

Me and my mom when she visited me in Israel — replete with the Dome of the Rock in the background.

One other glorious note to the weekend: the weather is finally warm enough — and, God willing, it’ll continue to stay that way — to warrant the bi-annual great clothing swap-out: the epic process in which I bring my summer clothes out of storage and find a hiding place for my winter clothes for the next 6 months or so. It’s a heck of a process, but I’m proud to say that I made it work. It took some Tetris-like rearranging in our rather miniscule closet, but I emerged victorious in the end. πŸ™‚

I hope everyone has an awesome Monday! So, tell me:

Have you ever had weird dreams about your teeth? Do unmade beds bother you, or are you chill about it? What’s your biggest Target weakness?

23 thoughts on “MIMM: A Premium on Comfort

1. Taryn April 15, 2013 / 2:14 pm

I just read a book where someone get dreaming about her teeth falling out – I can’t remember what book it was though (and that’s kinda killing me). I’m pretty sure she said it had to do with feeling like you’re not in control of what’s going on in your life.

Love those Target PJs! I’ve been looking for some new comfy PJ pants, and those look pretty awesome. Yay Target!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 15, 2013 / 5:03 pm

Target is the best! I swear, that place is my Mecca. πŸ™‚ I can also confirm that the PJ pants are incredibly comfy, and I highly recommend them if you’re in the market for a new pair.

I’m glad to know the dream about teeth falling out is common enough to be in a book! I thought my brain was just doing ridiculous things on its own, so this is actually a huge relief. πŸ™‚

2. Emma April 15, 2013 / 3:06 pm

Yep, I have had the teeth dream and have heard the same – it’s to do with change / lack of control. Apparently it’s a fairly common one, but yes it’s gross!
    Absolutely disagree with the made bed though, you’re just going to mess it up again anyway! I like getting into a messy cozy pile of covers and I feel restricted and uncomfortable when it’s all neat and tucked in!
    So glad we got to see you at the weekend πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 15, 2013 / 5:01 pm

Oh, thank God – I’m not the only one who’s had the weird tooth dream. It was seriously gross, but I’m glad to know it’s common enough that other people have had it too.

On a less gross note, we loved hanging out with you guys — and seriously, Chloe is ridiculously cute. πŸ™‚

3. Alex @ therunwithin April 15, 2013 / 4:49 pm

I am such a list girl too, I already have one with all the things I still need in my apartment, things to do before my new job, random to do list for the day… I could go on I am a list girl at heart

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 15, 2013 / 5:00 pm

I love lists too — I swear, sometimes I think my lists spawn baby lists. It’s *that* ridiculous. πŸ™‚ Glad I have a fellow list junkie!

4. Mariette April 15, 2013 / 5:30 pm

I’ve had the creepy teeth dreams too! I’ve read it has something to do with not being able to communicate.. Who knows!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 / 2:50 pm

Oh, good — I’m glad to know there are others in the crappy teeth dream boat! I looked up what it means, and there are about eighty bajillion different interpretations. Le sigh!

5. Kammie April 15, 2013 / 5:40 pm

The only dreams I have about my teeth is when they fall out. It is SO realistic too. It scares the living crap out of me. I can feel the teeth dangling from my mouth by just a thread, or I’ll touch it and they will slowly fall, one after the other. It’s so terrifying and I have had this happen in my dreams countless of times. It’s probably one of the only recurring dreams that happen to me. Although I haven’t had it in a couple of months now thankfully. I read somewhere that it means you aren’t in control of your life. Which sucks cause I’d like to think I am. Meh.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 15, 2013 / 6:22 pm

RIght?! This dream was incredibly realistic — and thus horrifying — and I was unbelievably relieved when I realized it was just a dream. I looked up what it means this morning, but there were different explanations on each website. Le sigh.

• Kammie April 16, 2013 / 1:39 am

Ugh, what else is new. I don’t usually really believe in the “dream dictionaries” – I studied Psychology in school so I know there are different schools of thought on that, but it does make me curious when it’s a recurring dream. What did the websites say? Was there anything they agreed on at all?

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 / 2:49 pm

Sadly, no — there was all sorts of wild variance. Some people said it’s a lack of control, others said things like needing to floss more. (I just about threw my toast at the computer screen when I read that one. Really? You think?) So much for the grand insight I was hoping for…

• Kammie April 17, 2013 / 3:12 pm

Hahahhaha that’s hilarious!! That’s just soo insightful.

6. chasingchels April 15, 2013 / 7:15 pm

Ahhh how exciting that your mama is coming!! I hope you both have a wonderful visit πŸ™‚ I was sooooo getting on board with the making the bed thing…and then someone moved home and sleeps till after I leave for work and apparently doesn’t see the need to make it so I come home to a messy bed…I’m letting it slide for now, but we move, he is in for a rude awakening πŸ˜€

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 / 2:51 pm

Bhahahaahah! Joe will have to get used to the bed-making regime once you move — aaah, the joys of domesticity! πŸ™‚

7. jessiebearwhat April 16, 2013 / 2:04 am

Ahhhh I love Target. I want those pj pants!! Too cute/comfy lookin’.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 / 2:52 pm

Right?! Target is the greatest place on Earth. (Seriously. Disney World ain’t got nothin’ on Le Tar-jay.) πŸ™‚

8. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 16, 2013 / 5:44 am

Phew! I feel better knowing that my affinity for adorable pajamas (and slippers) means nothing more than that I “just place a premium on comfort.” I can *totally* relate, girl! I actually wear a different pair almost every night because, well…why not? I absolutely love the orange and white-striped pants you picked up. Adorbs!

I make my bed every day without fail. If I don’t, I have a mini panic attack. My mom used to make it for me when I was young, and then one random day, she decided it was time for me to take responsibility. Well, it took me a few years to jump on board the bed-making train, but at some point in high school, I realized I’d had enough of messy sheets, and started doing it first thing in the morning. Now I can’t even imagine climbing into an un-made bed at night!

Have tons of fun with your mom! I feel the same excitement whenever mine visits; flights to Boise are so expensive (it’s cheaper to fly to Europe!), so she usually comes just once or twice/year.

xoxoxo ❀

9. jessielovestorun April 16, 2013 / 8:31 am

I pretty much live off of lists. It may be weird but I get the biggest smile on my face when I cross off a completed task, ha ha! I hope you have the most wonderful time with your mom my dear!!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 / 2:47 pm

Thanks, hon! My lists are the core of my life — there are times when I think my lists get together and spawn baby lists while I’m sleeping. πŸ™‚

10. cjoye7 April 17, 2013 / 12:25 pm

Glad to see that my “premium on comfort” mantra is catching on. Can we make it a hashtag? Then I’ll really feel like I’ve made it. πŸ™‚ Thanks so much again for taking me shopping with you and for the AMAZING care package – I’ve been enjoying it all week! Love you lady and hope you have an amazing week with your mom!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 / 2:44 pm

I’m so glad you love the care package! I was pretty stoked when I was putting it together, so I’m glad it’s brightening up funemployment. πŸ™‚