WIAW: Moms Are The Best!

Good morning, y’all! It’s a particularly good morning around these parts because a certain mom (cough, cough — mine — cough, cough) arrived last night. YAY! (*Insert happy dance here.*)

As I’ve mentioned a time or twelve, I really miss my family, and the fact that I don’t get to see my parents or brother nearly as often as I’d like really wears on me. However, this means that when any of them come to visit, it’s cause for serious celebration.

DSC00819-001
A wee display of my mom’s favorite foods and a welcome sign: like I said, I can’t let this visit pass without some celebratory fun times. It’s not exactly epic, but hey, it’s the thought that counts.

I’m going to take Friday and part of Monday off to hang out with mi madre, and I’m incredibly excited about it. Oh, and did I mention that I live within walking distance of a Marshall’s? We’re going to get our mother-daughter shop on, people.

Before that can happen, though, I have to get through the next 36 hours. This is helped — quite tremendously, at that — by the fact that it’s time for What I Ate Wednesday, hosted by the lovely Jenn from Peas & Crayons. This is my favorite mid-week tradition, and I love seeing what y’all have cooked up.

Peas and Crayons

I’ve had a wide range of food, per the usual. There’s the daily coffee-n’-toast before hitting the gym, and the daily post-workout smoothie:

cropped-dsc007431.jpg

DSC00814

DSC00680Lunches have ranged from leftover pad Thai to salad with leftover balsamic-herb chicken, grapes, red onions, feta, and some home-made Greek vinaigrette dressing. Snacks — which, as you might have discerned from past WIAW posts, are basically my reason for being — included Pamela’s Whenever Bars, Greek yogurt with granola, carrots and celery with dill dip, Mary’s Gone Crackers with Alouette cheese, and fruit galore (namely apples and cantaloupe).ย  DSC00812dsc00447Dinners have also run the gamut — and I had a ton of pictures that I’d been taking throughout the week, only to find that the memory card was in my computer the entire effing time. EPIC FAIL! How was I able to not even notice the flashing red “NO MEMORY CARD” notice in the camera’s LCD screen!? This is why I’m scared to have kids, friends: the most obvious things totally escape me. Oy vey.

Given that most epic of food photography fails, I have but one picture of dinner for y’all: salad with rotisserie chicken and some papaya-poppyseed dressing from the good folks at Annie’s Naturals (this stuff is divine, BTW).

DSC00815

Now I’m off to the gym for my daily sweat session, but I want to know: Do you have a favorite type of salad dressing? Have you ever had a major photography fail?

Hope everyone has an awesome Wednesday!

13 thoughts on “WIAW: Moms Are The Best!

1. cjoye7 April 17, 2013 / 12:19 pm

The light champagne vinaigrette from Trader Joe’s is to DIE for. And yes, got to Israel a few weeks ago and found that my camera battery was completely dead and my charger wasn’t working. Thank god for camera phones!

2. Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles April 17, 2013 / 7:33 pm

I’m obsessed with Annie’s organic basalmic dressing right now, but I really should try the papaya poppyseed!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 / 8:12 pm

Ohh, the balsamic is delicious too! I’ve reached the conclusion that Annie’s can do no wrong in the salad dressing department. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Melissa April 17, 2013 / 7:48 pm

I love the Annie’s Honey mustard dressing – and topping salads with a ton of salsa, because God knows I can’t go one week without Mexican food. I’m glad you get to have a super awesome fun-times weekend with your mom! You can’t beat family time.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 / 8:13 pm

The honey-mustard dressing is delicious — I hadn’t thought of it on Mexican food, but that sounds awesome. (And hey, I fully support a lifestyle that involves weekly Mexican food. The more the merrier, really!) ๐Ÿ™‚

4. jessielovestorun April 18, 2013 / 3:09 am

Your mom is way too cute. I hope you guys have an amazing time shopping & whatever else you get into ๐Ÿ™‚

5. fortheintolerants April 18, 2013 / 11:53 am

Moms are indeed the best, enjoy your shopping excursion! As for dressings, I’m a simple olive oil and apple cider (sometimes balsamic) vinegar girl. If I want to go really wild I’ll add some Eden organic mustard into the mix. *ooooohhhhh*

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 20, 2013 / 11:47 am

I hadn’t thought of using apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic — but ehrmagherd, it sounds delicious. Good call! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Meredith April 18, 2013 / 2:06 pm

Have a blast with your Mom! There is nothing like reuniting with your Momma ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so jealous of your close Marshall’s…have a blast!
    I have yet to find an awesome salad dressing in Australia…but one that like is Newman’s Own light caesar. It’s good, but I need a new balsamic vinagrette suggestion!