A Brief Compilation of Random Awesomeness

Good morning, everyone! Since mi madre is visiting, I’m going to keep things short and sweet so I can spend time with her. With that, here’s a brief compilation of things I’m diggin’ this week:

This ad that my mom saw in the NY Times last week — she cut it out and brought it with her, and she correctly assumed that it’d be refrigerator-grade hilarity for Brandon and me:

NYSC Kim Jong UnThe fact that I have a new article up with Girls Gone Sporty — hooray!

Getting back into my workout routine after weeks of being thrown out of whack by the Breaking Bad marathon. I’ve been cardio-ing my little heart out (pun intended), and although I hate to admit that those weeks without my daily trip to the gym left me woefully out of shape, I’m glad that I’m back at it. I think it’s safe to say that exercise is kind of addictive for me; I love the way I feel after a good workout, and it was driving me nuts that I didn’t have time to get to the gym when Walt and that evil mofo Gus were taking over our lives.

EHRMAGHERD.

My routine this week is heavily reliant on the elliptical and the bike, since the insanely high pollen count has kicked my asthma into high gear. When my asthma acts up like this, I have to forgo running — even with my inhaler as my trusty sidekick, the wheezing started after .75 miles yesterday. In the interest of not dying (y’know, a minor detail), I decided to call it quits after a measly one mile and stick with the sort of cardio that makes me sweat like mad without being quite as taxing on my lungs. I’m adding weights back into the mix today (which I’m pretty effing stoked about), with a mix of upper body and lower body strength training. Have I mentioned that I looooooooove strength training? SO. EXCITED.

Half the Sky Movement Awesomeness: As y’all might know, it’s taken me a lot of soul-searching to figure out, well, what I want to do with my life. After the spectacularly painful realization that the line of work that I’d spent 10 years preparing for — and starting a career in — actually leaves me feeling unhappy and unsatisfied, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what sort of work I’d find meaningful, enjoyable, and edifying. I eventually realized that some of my long-buried passions — writing, health, and international women’s issues — are what really drive me.Β

Rumi quote

Once I realized that, I became a community ambassador for the Half the Sky Movement. (Side note: if you only read one book or watch one documentary this year, make it this one. You won’t regret it!)

Through that ambassadorship, I found out that Half the Sky rolled out two awesome initiatives yesterday: the first, Rise4Women, will help raise resources and recognition for non-profits focusing on issues that affect women around the world — issues such as human trafficking and sex slavery, access to good prenatal and obstetric care, access to education, the ability to earn income, and a ton of other things we take for granted.

Through the Crowdrise challenge, the organization that earns the most money between April 24 and June 6 will receive a portion of the campaign’s $75,000 in prize money. I hiiiiiiiiighly encourage you to look through the list of organizations and see if there are any that resonate with you. Are you appalled by the fact that human trafficking and sex slavery even exist, let alone affect hundreds of thousands of girls and women? Check out the Polaris Project. Are you a mom or mom-to-be who can’t fathom giving birth without a skilled attendant on hand? Check out the Friends of Edna.

The second Half the Sky initiative that I’m really excited about is a Thunderclap campaign — started by the International Women’s Health Coalition (IWHC) — to ensure that women and girls remain a priority for U.S. foreign policy. Under Hillary Clinton’s tenure as Secretary of State, issues affecting women and girls around the world were a key element of her policy planning. Now that John Kerry is at the helm of the State Department, the IWHC and Half the Sky want to make sure that women and girls are a priority for foreign policy. Imma blow up Twitter with these hashtags, y’all.

With all that being said, the last thing I’m srsly excited about is the legit arrival of spring. Yeah, the pollen count might kill me, but it’s totally worth it for stuff like this:

My airways are closing, but I don’t caaaaaaaaare!

Hope everyone has an awesome Thursday — so tell me, what random yet awesome things are inspiring you or making you happy today?

15 thoughts on “A Brief Compilation of Random Awesomeness

1. Alex @ therunwithin April 18, 2013 / 2:37 pm

what a better thing to read this week, random awesome things are all around us. like giving up your seat for someone else on the metro.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 20, 2013 / 11:46 am

THAT, my dear, is seriously awesome. I’ve only seen that happen a few times, and I always want to hug the person who gives up their seat. πŸ™‚

2. Melissa April 18, 2013 / 4:41 pm

I saw someone post that ad online! Hilarious. Some awesomeness I’ve had around here this week has been warm weather and getting to hang out with my brother.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 20, 2013 / 11:45 am

The warm weather was AMAZING – I’m glad you got to get outside and enjoy it. And it’s awesome that you got to hang out with your brother, too — spending time with family is the best. πŸ™‚

3. Mariette April 18, 2013 / 4:54 pm

Oh my gosh, I love the ad at the top. Too funny! My random happiness for the week is planting my first potted plant, (yes I am so very far behind the domestic curve) and having it flower for me in the mornings! It’s the little things πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 20, 2013 / 11:44 am

Girl, I hear you on the potted plant happiness! It took me a while to get there too, so you’re in good company on that one. πŸ™‚ Getting to start your day with flowers sounds fantastic — talk about starting the day off on a good note!

4. chasingchels April 18, 2013 / 5:59 pm

Reading this at the park with big kid sitting next to me and peanut on the other side enjoying the sunshine on an 80 degree day πŸ™‚ and knowing that you are living it up with your mum…both are putting a smile on my face today πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 20, 2013 / 11:42 am

Awwww — hugs to you, love! πŸ™‚ (And, um, YAY for the sunshine and gorgeous weather! Even though they were only a temporary motif, they were still awesome.)

5. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 18, 2013 / 11:48 pm

Haha! The NYSC ad made me laugh out loud! Seriously–I’m in Starbucks, and I just awkwardly chuckled. Three people turned their heads. It was totally worth the embarrassment, though. πŸ˜‰

Congrats on the publication of your article in Girls Gone Sporty! I’ll be checking it out once I’m done here. I’m also really inspired by the work you’re doing for the Half the Sky movement. Both Rise4Women and the Thunderclap Campaign sound like fantastic initiatives that will make a huge impact in the lives of women around the world. I’m so happy to hear that you’re following your passion, and doing what you love!

Enjoy the rest of your week with your mom! ❀ xoxo

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 20, 2013 / 11:41 am

Thanks, darlin’! The Half the Sky stuff really has changed my life. I’d been interested in international women’s issues for a really long time (owing to a class I took when I was studying in Israel), but Half the Sky took all those academic interests and made them actionable. It’s awesome to have such supportive comments as I pursue this! πŸ™‚

6. jessielovestorun April 19, 2013 / 4:51 am

Woo Hoo! Congratulations on the new article being up on Girls Gone Sporty! Who’s awesome?!! YOU ARE! =) Ha Ha.

7. Jorie April 19, 2013 / 1:29 pm

Awesome article, Lillian! Loved the newspaper clipping your mom found HA. And I, too, am addicted to the exercise high. I get so grumpy when I don’t have regular cardio in my life.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 20, 2013 / 11:38 am

Thanks, hon! πŸ™‚ And I think the NYSC ad is going to stay on our fridge for a looooooong time — it’s one of the best ads I’ve seen in ages.