Getting My Nesting On

Good morning, y’all — this morning is dawning cool and cloudy here in DC, which (apologies for the impending mope) kind of matches my mood since my mom returned to Colorado yesterday. After I dropped her off at the airport, I was all:

The good thing was that the security line at the airport was actually ridiculously short, so she and I got to hang out at the DCA Starbucks and chat. The short line was a pleasant surprise, since we were expecting the airport to be a hot mess — and, of course, getting to spend even an extra hour with my mama was a huge bonus.

Granted, we still both got all choked up when we said goodbye outside the security line. I’ve only cried at the airport a few times, but in each of these instances, the TSA agents have given me serious side-eye. They get all suspicious, and amidst my tears, I get all flummoxed and annoyed. I mean, come on — I’m crying because I miss my mom, not because we’re weepy terrorists.

image

After leaving the airport, I decided it was high time to indulge in a bit of retail therapy. My tote bag has started falling apart, so I hit up Target (but of course) and found that this lovely tote — which I’ve been eyeballing for months — was on clearance. Epic win!

Meronaยฎ Mega Tote Handbag - Multicolor

When I came home, I then indulged in my other great coping mechanism: cleaning. I recognize that being all OCD about cleanliness and organization is, at its core, just something that gives me a sense of control (especially when I’m upset). While for some people this can be a bad thing, for me it really helps ease the sting of whatever is upsetting me.

First, it gives me something to do (as opposed to crumpling into a mopey heap o’ sadness on the couch). Second, a clean home makes me happy — and especially when I’m bummed out, I’m a big fan of things that make me happy.

Perhaps most importantly, it contributes to my overall response to a problem. I’m a big proponent of the theory that while in many cases you can’t control what happens, you can control how you respond to it. I can’t control where we live or how far I am from my family, but I can choose to cope with that situation in a productive way.

My efforts to productively cope involve things like exercise, teaching myself to focus on the good things (I love our apartment, our new neighborhood is great, we have awesome friends here, and my shortened commute is a Godsend), and ensuring that our apartment truly feels like a home. Cleaning is an important part of that homeyness — so for me at least, cleaning and nesting are inextricably linked.

home

And, adding to that, there’s my old pal exercise — which, as you may have gathered by now, is my numero uno way of dealing with life. When the going gets tough, this cowgirl gets to the gym. Which, as it turns out, it’s time for me to do! On tap for today: 30 minutes of elliptical and the bike (while watching the last portion of What to Expect When You’re Expecting — which, BTW, is hilarious), followed by 15 minutes of strength training. Woot!

Have a lovely Tuesday, y’all — and tell me: what are your go-to coping mechanisms when the going gets rough? Do you ever get homesick? Do you ever go on a cleaning binge as a way of dealing with life (please, please tell me I’m not alone on that)?

16 thoughts on “Getting My Nesting On

1. cookingfortheotherhalf April 23, 2013 / 11:36 am

I always get homesick when I say goodbye to my mom! I think it’s totally normal.

I also am the same way with cleaning — it feels really productive and therapeutic.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 24, 2013 / 1:40 am

I figure it’s the best of both worlds — just like you said, it’s cathartic while also being productive. And I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who gets all bummed out when her mom leaves! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Sarah April 23, 2013 / 2:09 pm

I don’t do it often, but my husband says he always knows when I’m really mad when he finds me scrubbing grease from dark corners in the kitchen. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 24, 2013 / 1:39 am

LOL – I like using the depth of housecleaning as a barometer of your emotional status. Awesome!

3. cjoye7 April 23, 2013 / 3:00 pm

Exercise (Dance Trance or salsa dancing) is my number one coping mechanism. Followed shortly thereafter by coffee and/or cocktails with my girlfriends!

4. Alex @ therunwithin April 23, 2013 / 3:29 pm

therapy can come in many forms so I am glad you practiced some self care.

5. Melissa April 23, 2013 / 6:04 pm

It’s so good to read that someone else has a compulsion to clean in order to cope with stress….and let’s be serious, when it happens for me, it is a BINGE. Those baseboards have never been so clean.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 24, 2013 / 1:37 am

You’re soooooooo not alone! The cleaning binge is epic when I’m upset/stressed out. I figure there are worse ways to cope with stress, right?

6. chasingchels April 23, 2013 / 7:38 pm

Aw I’m sorry love ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I know how you feel ha, and it sucks big time. Cleaning is sometimes a way for me to cope (although that usually happened before Joseph came home rather than after), but usually I stick with running, rereading a favorite book, watching a favorite movie, asking for extra hugs from the munchkins, and copious amounts of chocolate.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 24, 2013 / 1:38 am

YES. The chocolate is totally key – and, if it weren’t so flippin’ cold here lately, fro yo would be too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Meredith April 24, 2013 / 2:39 am

So sorry your mom left. My family just left too, so I know how hard it is. My coping involves either exercising or baking…I realize those are kind of counter-productive, but baking just makes me smile, so I’m sticking with it!
    Plus, if that doesn’t work, there is always retail therapy. Love your new tote!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 24, 2013 / 10:59 am

I totally agree on the therapeutic benefits of baking! I do the same thing — there’s something soothing about the way a bunch of ingredients come together to create a delicious, sweet baked good. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Jorie April 24, 2013 / 3:26 pm

Aw, Lillian, I can totally relate to crying when you drop family members and friends off at the airport. I’m guilty of that too. I think cleaning and exercise are totally my way of coping too. Cleaning makes me feel in control and exercise keeps me sane. I get so cranky when I don’t regularly hit the gym.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:14 pm

Thanks, Jorie! I’m glad to know I’m not the only airport crier who then goes home to clean and hit the gym. ๐Ÿ˜‰ This makes me feel a bajillion times more normal! ๐Ÿ™‚