WIAW: Short Weeks and GF Strawberry Pancakes

It’s Wednesday – huzzah! Seriously, four-day weeks are approximately eleventy bajillion times easier to deal with than full five-day workweeks. Mondays away from the office are the bomb diggity (well, isn’t that the understatement of the year), and starting the week on Tuesday makes life a lot easier (ok, that’s probably the runner-up for understatement of the year).

I motion to create a four-day workweek as a matter of policy! Who’s with me? Viva la revolucion!

Ok, so maybe that’s slightly (only slightly) unrealistic. Failing the ability to do that, I’ll just revel in the fact that it’s Wednesday and get my WIAW on. Thanks as always to Jenn over at Peas & Crayons for being the hostess with the mostess!

Peas and Crayons

I started the day with my usual coffee and GF toast:

dsc00679
I have to confess: I’ve been using the same photo of this for months. Why? Because I eat the same thing every morning. Lame, I know.

After the gym, I had my (also usual) smoothie with kale, mango, blueberries, protein powder, and banana — and I bottled half of it to take with me for lunch.

DSC00826
(Sing to the tune of “Message in a Bottle” by the Police): I hope that someone gets my, I hope that someone gets my smoothie in a bottle…

ย But really, why am I carrying on about smoothies when breakfast on Saturday involved one of the most glorious weekend meals I’ve ever had?

Four words, y’all: GLUTEN-FREE STRAWBERRY PANCAKES.

DSC00823-001
THIS. I’m drooling just thinking about these.

To say that I chowed down on these would be another massive understatement. As you can see, I don’t usually do regular maple syrup — I’m a bit of a weirdo that way (among, um, many other ways) — but I’m all about strawberry jam. Strawberry pancakes + strawberry jam = bliss.

We used the boxed pancake batter from King Arthur Flour, and it was divine. This was, hands-down, the best GF pancake flour I’ve ever had. In the nearly five years since my Celiac discovery, I’ve tried a ton of different GF flour brands — and King Arthur is far and away the best. You could say they take the cake. (Sorry, that was awful. I can’t help myself!)

The directions call for 2 eggs and melted butter or vegetable oil, but in the interest of making them low-fat, we omitted the oil/butter and used 1 whole egg + two egg whites. We tossed in about a cup of diced fresh strawberries in honor of springtime, and omigodyouguys, they were delicious.

Truth be told, there’s a very good chance that I’ll make another batch this weekend and take them to work with me throughout the week. Pancakes at work would be awesome.

Aaaaaaanyways, on to my other meals. Snacks are identical to last week’s (what can I say? I’m a creature of habit!): Greek yogurt with GF granola, celery, apples, Pamela’s bars (which, BTW, are freakin’ delicious — I highly recommend them), and Mary’s Gone Crackers with Alouette garlic and herb cheese.

DSC00812
I’m alarmingly predictable.

Lunch this week has been brought to you by the good folks at Progresso. I know canned soups are a serious faux pas in the healthy living world, but they’re my go-to staple when I’m pressed for time. Nobody’s perfect, amirite?

Lentil soup
Memo to the marketing people at Progresso: y’all should probably go ahead and make “Time is of the essence” your new motto.

It hasn’t been a cooking-from-scratch week here, um, at all. Dinner was brought to you by the good folks at Trader Joe’s: I baked some tomato-basil chicken tenders with a chopped onion and a wee bit of white wine, garlic powder, oregano, and Parmesan, and served them with steamed veggies. For a meal that took almost no effort whatsoever, it was darn good. (Thank you, Trader Joe’s, for being freakin’ awesome.)

Confession: I love cooking, but right now I’m a huge fan of meals that require very little time or effort. Some might call that lazy, but I prefer to think of it as being highly efficient. One of the side effects of having a full time job, an awesome husband who I want to spend time with and talk to, a gym addiction, and a love of writing is that I don’t have much of any free time on my hands during the week. So, if I can find ways to save time while not sacrificing much in the way of health/nutrition, I’m all about it.

DSC00831
(Read in the Homer Simpson voice) Mmmmm. Chicken and veggies. Gaaaaahhhh.

My other great food love this week? Berry Berry Kix. They’re GF, preservative free, and effing delicious.

A quote from Brandon: “My wife loves Berry Berry Kix berry berry much.” My God, I love that I found a man who busts out puns as prolifically as I do.

Fact: I have a cereal addiction. I effing love it, and I might have a bowl (or two…or three) every night for dessert.

I hope everyone has an awesome Wednesday! So, my lovely fellow bloggers, tell me:

How do you save time during the workweek? What’s your favorite cereal? What do you like to put on your pancakes – are you a maple syrup person, or do you have alternative toppings?

hahaha
A little bit of mid-week humor because, y’know, Wednesday.

18 thoughts on “WIAW: Short Weeks and GF Strawberry Pancakes

1. Taryn April 24, 2013 / 12:18 pm

Those pancakes look delicious! And I’m with you on the 4-day work week. My grandmother used to do 4 10-hour days during the summer and have every Friday off. I wish that was an option for my job – I would jump on that right away. When I plan enough ahead, I make a bunch of breakfast foods on Sunday so I don’t have to make anything throughout the week. During the colder months, a crockpot full of chili is my “time saver.”

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:19 pm

Crock pots are the best! We got one for our wedding, and it’s one of the most heavily-used appliances in our kitchen.

I’m with you on the flex days, too. If I could do that, I’d absolutely cope with a long work day in order to have three day weekends. It’s awesome that your grandma got to do that! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. jessielovestorun April 24, 2013 / 12:25 pm

Those pancakes look absolutely incredible, mouth-watering, delicious,drool-worthy, um you get the picture right?!!! =)

I always top my pancakes with apple slices, pb and a little syrup. Coconut flakes are pretty damn good on them too.

3. chasingchels April 24, 2013 / 12:50 pm

Oh berry berry kix…the kiddos at the preschool i worked out till january loved those things…so did their teacher ๐Ÿ˜‰ i’ve been on a pb cheerio kick with chocolate almond milk recently…like eating a big pb cup for breakfast or snack but slightly healthier ๐Ÿ˜‰ my fav go to quick and easy meal is breakfast for dinner…pancakes and eggs or egg scrambles with toast…can’t beat how fast and delicious it is ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:17 pm

Oooohhh, that’s brilliant! I might need to try that trick soon — some PB cereal with chocolate almond milk sounds astonishingly delicious right now. Screw work; can I just leave here and bury myself in a pile of cereal?!

4. cookingfortheotherhalf April 24, 2013 / 1:56 pm

My mouth literally watered at that pancake photo. Those look amazing!

I also love Berry Berry Kix. Or any kind of Kix!

My favorite cereal is Puffins…probably the PB kind. I love putting fresh fruit and honey on pancakes. Mm.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:16 pm

Puffins are delicious! I think everyone who’s ever tried them has adored them — I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love them some Puffins. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. musingsoftheamusingmuse April 24, 2013 / 3:04 pm

I have to agree on the pancakes – they look awesome!!!

Cereal? I don’t eat much, but the more “sticky and twiggy” it is the better I like it. However, if I could have Hearty Raisin Oatmeal Crisp minus the gluten and the GMOs… I’d be in heaven. That was my favorite cereal pre-stop-eating-gluten.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:16 pm

Isn’t it amazing how there’s are particular things we miss terribly from the pre-GF days? I’ve found good facimilies for most of the things I used to eat, but the one thing I miss is, strangely enough, Special K. I used to LOVE that stuff in all its different varieties. If someone could whip up a GF version of Special K, I’d be all over it. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Alex @ therunwithin April 24, 2013 / 4:48 pm

kix are the bomb. hands down. deliciousness balls of goodness. I like the name of that bar, whenever bar – never heard of it. I would kill for four day work weeks. that would be amazing

7. Melissa April 24, 2013 / 5:07 pm

Stop the presses. How on Earth have I lived this long without knowing that Berry Berry Kix existed?! Gah. And if having Progresso soup is wrong, I sure as hell don’t want to be right. They know their soup!

Currently I’m addicted to Trader Joe’s Brown Sugar/Maple Frosted Mini Wheats, Crack in a bowl. I like to mix it up with pancakes – sometimes the syrup, more often peanut butter and/or fruit, and sometimes….applesauce.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:13 pm

Trader Joe’s seriously has some of the best products on the planet. If it weren’t for my raging case of Celiac, I’d be all up in that brown sugar/maple mini wheat cereal — it sounds amazing.

And the peanut butter + fruit combo on pancakes is definitely a good call — I’m going to try that one out!

Oh, and the Berry Berry Kix are freakin’ fantastic. I can only find them at Target, so if you happen to see them while strolling through your local Tar-zhaaay, I highly recommend picking up a box of this awesomeness. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. livliveslife April 24, 2013 / 11:31 pm

I totally second that 4-day work week policy! Those pancakes look wonderful…and it’s good to know that King Arthur has the best GF flour! I’ve been thinking about trying some out, but never know which brand to buy.

I used to be a maple syrup person, but in recent years I’ve fallen in love with melted butter and cinnamon-sugar on top. It makes them taste like doughnuts! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:10 pm

Ooooh, the butter + cinnamon and sugar idea sound divine! I’m totally going to try that next time. Good call!

9. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 25, 2013 / 2:34 am

THE PANCAKES!! Yay! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing the recipe, along with your GF flour recommendation. I’ve actually never used King Arthur flour, but apparently I’ve been missing out big time?! When I first cut gluten from my diet, I turned to a lot of pre-packaged gluten free products (Van’s waffles were my BFF), but slowly transitioned to more homemade baked goods using coconut flour and oat flour. While I love the heartiness of those flours (I have to be careful with the coconut stuff, though–too much and it sits like a rock in my stomach!), I often crave the soft, crumb-like texture that “regular” flours produce in baked goods and pancakes. What I’m trying to say is…well, what I already said: I need to try King Arthur!

Anywaaaay. Saving time. Gah. I’ve finally started meal planning and prepping, after years spent *intending* to do so. It makes a HUGE difference, and I don’t have to resort to eggs or frozen Amy’s meals every other night. I try to get everything semi-ready on Sunday, so that when Monday rolls around, I’m ready to roll. Even if there’s not much prep work I can do ahead of time, it’s nice knowing I have everything on hand to throw it together. On those nights that I reeeeally can’t bear the thought of turning on the stove? Well, there’s always Chipotle. Or Sweetgreen. Or eggs. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kix were one of my favorite cereals when I was little! My mom didn’t buy sweet cereal, but she made an exception for Kix because, you know, they’re “mother approved.” ๐Ÿ˜‰ My favorite cereals right now are those Snackimals I posted about last week, and Puffins.

Happy Wednesday!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:09 pm

Oooooh, eggs. Those really are an awesome solution for the times when hunger strikes and the only thing striking more ferociously is a burning desire not to cook. Eggs FTW!

And I completely agree about meal planning: it does make life a lot easier. We usually do it, and things get a lot easier during the week if I can do most of my meal prep on the weekend. Now if only I could motivate myself to actually do the prep work on Sunday afternoons…well, I’m working on that. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. practicinggrace April 25, 2013 / 2:10 pm

I have a bad addiction to cereal. And thus can’t buy it. I should seek clinical assistance ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 25, 2013 / 7:06 pm

Me too — I recently decided to just roll with my cereal addiction, which is why I can’t go even one day without it. (No joke. It’s ridiculous!) I’ll join you in seeking clinical assistance for this particular addiction. ๐Ÿ™‚