MIMM: Scenes From a Relaxing Weekend

G’morning, everyone — it’s a gloomy and rainy Monday morning here, which I think calls for an extra cup of coffee. (Or three. But hey, whatevs.)

Once I wash down a few mugs of delicious java, IΒ  have a new workout on tap for this morning — and because little things make me inordinately happy, I’m really excited about it. (Things like a new bottle of body wash have been known to make me bound out of bed, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, in excitement.) I’ll let y’all know how it goes!

In the meantime, thanks as always to Katie for hosting Marvelous In My Monday, a much-loved weekly blogging ritual that helps mitigate the Monday blahs.

Anyways, we had an awesomely relaxing weekend, and it was just what I needed.

Brandon and I had many long chats about life, our jobs, etc., which was phenomenal. I love the times when we’re able to just hang out and talk. Apologies for the impending schmaltz here, but I must say: back in the days of my generally disastrous dating misadventures (and oh, there were many disasters), I never thought I’d find a man whose company I enjoy as much as that of my closest, dearest friends. On our first official date, Brandon and I talked for something like six hours before actually going out to dinner — and that was when I knew this guy was different. I love spending time chatting and generally being goofy with him, which is something I would’ve never thought possible four years ago. Life works in amazing ways sometimes, y’all.

Marriage = Friendship
To quote the Princess Bride: Mawwiage!

I was also able to do a lot of reading, which was freakin’ phenomenal. I love reading — when I was growing up I used to spend hours each day with my nose stuck in a book, and given the opportunity to do the same thing now, I’d gladly go for it. Many thanks to Meghan for mentioning the existence of HGTV magazine; I love me some design mags, and this was the first issue of my new subscription. (*Does happy dance*) Let’s not forget the Sunday Times, which has been a staple of my weekend for many years.

Sunday NY Times and HGTV Magazine
Gettin’ my weekend leisure reading on.

The weather was gorgeous this weekend, so we decided to walk to one of our favorite restaurants. After a delicious lunch, we strolled home in the sun — and I took pictures (albeit camera phone pics, but hey, that works too) of some gorgeous azaleas. I lurve azaleas, and it makes me happy each spring when I see them bloom.

Azaleas
They’re so purdy!

I also tried out a new breakfast concoction, thanks to a brilliant idea from Caitlin: peanut butter cereal with chocolate almond milk. Now, few things make my taste buds as happy as the chocolate-PB combination, but really, a girl can’t exactly go nuts (pun intended) on Reese’s without her teeth and estomago rebelling against the deluge of sugar. So when I saw Caitlin mention her favorite cereal combination, I swear I could hear bells ringing and see lights flashing (Γ  la someone who’s just hit the jackpot at a casino slot machine). I had to try it, and hoooooly crap, y’all, it’s effing delicious.

Gluten-Free Cereal With Almond Milk
Best. Combination. Ever.

The panda is cheering because he knows he’s about to be united with his culinary BFF. Obvi.

Gluten-Free Cereal with Chocolate Almond Milk
Behold, the bowl full of deliciousness!

This concoction is filled with so much win, I can’t even tell you. I have no idea why it took me so long to get on the chocolate almond milk bandwagon, but I’m officially a convert. I’m going to add chocolate almond milk to all manner of things now, so this should be fun.

I also did a wee bit of blog maintenance: I added a new page for the Inspirational Women Interview Series, and I’m thinking of categories that would be worth breaking out into separate pages. Right now the only thing I can think of is a recipe page, but I’ll gladly take suggestions — let me know if y’all have any ideas! πŸ™‚

I hope everyone has a lovely Monday — what was your favorite part of the weekend? Have you tried chocolate almond milk? What’s your favorite weekend reading material?

And now, some nerd humor:

Galileo Meme
#nerdhumor. It’s how I roll.

22 thoughts on “MIMM: Scenes From a Relaxing Weekend

1. Caitlyn April 29, 2013 / 11:08 am

That breakfast sounds amazing!! Ah, I too love the classic and never disappointing chocolate/PB combo. Yum! And hooray for getting some reading time!!

2. jessielovestorun April 29, 2013 / 11:38 am

The way you just talked about your man just made me smile so big! Call me sappy, but I just love hearing how others are so in love ❀

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 30, 2013 / 12:03 am

Jessie, that’s so sweet! Thank you! πŸ™‚ I, too, love hearing about other peoples’ love stories — they’re often truly amazing. πŸ™‚

3. musingsoftheamusingmuse April 29, 2013 / 11:43 am

Chocolate Almond Milk is…the bomb. I only buy it occasionally, however, because a half gallon would be gone in a day around here.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 30, 2013 / 12:04 am

I combined chocolate almond milk with strawberries for dessert, which wound up being AMAZING. Give in to the dark side! Resistance is futile!

4. Jorie April 29, 2013 / 12:51 pm

I have never heard of this chocolate almond milk and I think it would be mighty delicious combined with my fav TJ’s cereal, peanut butter puffins!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 30, 2013 / 12:05 am

I’ve heard it’s amazing with PB Puffins — I loved Puffins when I tried them, but they didn’t play nice with my estomago (for reasons unknown to me). This was a serious bummer, but I do love my PB Panda Puffs!

5. ahealthyhappyhome April 29, 2013 / 2:16 pm

Couldn’t agree more with that quote about marriage. I love that my husband is my best friend as well as my companion through life. I was actually just thinking this weekend how grateful I am to have such a wonderful man in my life πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 30, 2013 / 12:07 am

It’s awesome that you’ve got such a great relationship with your husband — I find that a lot of people seem to not like their spouses very much (why they got married in the first place, I’m not sure), so it’s always a joy to hear about people who consider their partner to be their best friend too! πŸ™‚

6. Alex @ therunwithin April 29, 2013 / 2:29 pm

never tried chocolate almond milk but it does sound pretty darn tasty.

7. The Siren's Tale April 29, 2013 / 2:48 pm

That sounds like such a wonderful weekend πŸ™‚ Glad you enjoyed!

8. chasingchels April 29, 2013 / 3:02 pm

Ahhhh yay!!! I’m so glad you tried it and liked it πŸ™‚ it seriously cannot be beat…i didn’t buy chocolate almond milk this week with the whole move thing and i’m already dreaming about saturday’s grocery trip…you better believe both chocolate almond milk and pb cereal will make the cut πŸ˜€

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 30, 2013 / 12:15 am

Seriously, I’m SO glad you mentioned this combination on your blog — I’d been hearing about chocolate almond milk and had been wanting to give it a try, and your post gave me the last little push I needed. I’ll never, ever let myself go without chocolate almond milk again!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 30, 2013 / 12:18 am

Ooooh, the registry! That was one of my favorite parts about getting married — as I told Brandon, I wasn’t one of those women who’d been planning her registry since she was a little girl…but I had been planning my registry since at least college. πŸ˜‰ We took it as an opportunity to load up on kitchen appliances, and it was freaking awesome. I’m glad you had such fun putting it together — now just wait until the gifts start arriving, and the fun will REALLY begin! πŸ™‚

9. HealthyDiva (@HealthyDiva31) April 29, 2013 / 11:59 pm

Mmmmmmm loving the breakfast!!!

Love the LOVE you have with your man, love is a beautiful thing! ❀

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 30, 2013 / 12:18 am

Thanks, hon! And, as always, thanks for hosting MIMM — this makes my Mondays infinitely brighter!

10. Meredith April 30, 2013 / 11:25 am

I love that marriage quote. I absolutely agree, friendship is the best foundation πŸ™‚
    I have yet to try chocolate almond milk on peanut butter cereal..now I will be trying it!