MIMM: Food and Naps

G’morning, everyone — hopefully y’all had an awesome weekend! I was feeling a bit under the weather this weekend, so it was fairly low-key…which, given my grandma-status ways, was actually glorious.

I tend to feel torn about weekends: they’re basically the only opportunity I have to hang out with friends and socialize, and they’re definitely my one shot chance to clean, do laundry, and run errands.

And yet, as soon as the weekend rolls around, all I want to do is relax. I want to read, hang out in my PJ’s, commune with the couch, watch a week’s worth of DVR’ed TV, and just generally chill. Alas…

So, strangely enough, I actually wind up feeling ok about the times when I’m not feeling well and am basically forced to take it easy. This weekend was one of those times, so here’s a brief recap of a generally relaxed couple of days. It was, shall we say, Marvelous (with many thanks to Katie from Healthy Diva Eats for hosting Marvelous in My Monday)!

I started feeling gross on Saturday morning, so I spent the morning having breakfast and a leisurely cup of coffee while reading. Feeling gross wasn’t great, but the coffee and quality time with my Kindle were fantastic.

image(9)

I probably should’ve gotten up and been productive after that, but I was still incredibly tired. I don’t normally take naps — I usually feel worse after napping than I do beforehand — but Saturday was one of those times when it just couldn’t be resisted. I was stumbling around the apartment and barely able to keep my eyes open, so I decided I couldn’t resist the allure of sleep. And nap I did: a whopping 3 hours later, I finally woke up and re-joined the world of the living.

By that point it was 3 p.m., and because I have weird food cravings sometimes (side note: because fatigue and food cravings always raise a few eyebrows, let’s get this out in the open — I’m 100% sure that I’m not pregnant!), I really wanted some frozen yogurt. I managed to acquire some Pinkberry before Brandon and I went to see Iron Man 3 (which was awesome — I really can’t get enough of Robert Downey Jr.). Behold the salted caramel and strawberry deliciousness:

PinkberryYesterday I went to a lovely baby shower for one of my old roommates, who happens to be one of the funniest people I know. I can’t wait to meet her wee one, because that kiddo is going to have no choice in life but to be just as hilarious as his/her mama!

After the baby shower, I was once again totally exhausted. I didn’t nap this time (napping two days in a row would’ve made me think that I’m almost certainly dying), but Brandon and I watched TV until I felt well enough to venture out for some food. After getting dinner, we went to the grocery store that I love most in the world (even more than Trader Joe’s, which is really saying something!): Wegman’s.

And, as luck would have it, a magical thing happened during our grocery store adventure. You see, for the last 18 months, I’ve been searching fruitlessly for my favorite kind of GF veggie burger. I’ve gone to just about every grocery store in DC in hopes of finding Amy’s Sonoma Burgers, but no one out here carries them. (Of course, they’re stocked, like, everywhere back in Colorado. Le sigh.)

After over a year of searching, I’d resigned myself to the notion that Sonoma Burgers never made it out East, and that I’d just have to indulge my love of of these magical things whenever I’m visiting my parents.

As I was walking through the frozen foods section in search of frozen fruit for my smoothies, I looked up and was face-to-face with none other than my elusive but beloved Sonoma Burgers.

Y’all, I just about cried. I didn’t actually do it, but I did gasp — loudly — in shock and delight, and I did say “Omigod, omigod, omigod, I thought I’d never find these and holy crap they’re here Wegman’s is a wondrous place omigod!”

To say that I’m unspeakably excited for lunch today would be a massive understatement. I might lose my job on account of people thinking I’ve lost my mind when I start doing a happy dance by the office microwave, but oh well — it’ll be worth it.

Tell me about your weekends: did you do anything fun and exciting, or was it a weekend of R&R?

What was your favorite part of the weekend?

22 thoughts on “MIMM: Food and Naps

1. jessielovestorun May 6, 2013 / 8:10 am

I always thought Trader Joe’s was my favorite… that was until I was introduced to Wegmans! Wegmans may be the GREATEST grocery store EVER! Whoever says Whole foods rocks, they obviously have never stepped foot into a Wegmans.. am I right, or am I right?!!

p.s. so glad you are feeling better โค โค

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 11:25 am

You’re absolutely right — Wegman’s is the best grocery store EVER. I mean, I love TJ’s, but Wegman’s is hands-down the greatest. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks that! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Alex @ therunwithin May 6, 2013 / 8:26 am

um well now i want to try them. sadly haven’t been to get to a wegman’s but like you always like finding that beloved product you can’t replicate.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 11:24 am

If you have Zipcar access, I highly recommend getting a car for a few hours and making the trip out to Wegman’s — they have an incredible GF section, so it’d be worth it if you can make it out there! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Kate May 6, 2013 / 8:28 am

Are you an introvert? I ask because I get the same way on the weekends – it’s the time to socialize but I want to veg, veg, veg. I’ve always wondered if this is an introvert thing or if everyone experiences it. Glad you found the elusive Sonoma Burgers! It’s those types of things that can turn a day around. And happy to hear you’re feeling a little better. My weekend was the exact opposite of veg… was at the auto shop at 7a on Saturday which started one of my busier weekends in 2013 thus far. The joys, right?

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 11:23 am

Oy vey, that sounds like one hell of a weekend! (Anything that involves being at the auto shop at 0700 sounds truly ghastly.)

As for introversion, I’m a little bit of both: I’m generally an extravert, but I have serious introvert tendencies. Most notably, when I get tired or mopey, I just want to shelter in place and cocoon myself. I generally love socializing with my friends (socializing with strangers is a whole different can of worms — I can’t stand it), but as soon as I feel under the weather or tired, I just want to be in a quiet place where I can read and drink tea.

4. HealthyDiva (@HealthyDiva31) May 6, 2013 / 8:45 am

Pinkberry is marvelous!! Wish we had one close! I saw they have cookies and cream right now too!! YUM! I like the salted caramel, good pick! I have had that flavor before, also love their peanut butter!!

Happy Monday!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 11:20 am

Their peanut butter flavor is also amazing — really, though, I’ve never met a Pinkberry flavor that I don’t like. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have an awesome day!

5. Caitlyn May 6, 2013 / 9:01 am

I feel the exact same way about weekends. Coffee & kindle time is always fabulous.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 11:19 am

For real – Kindle time and coffee on their own are awesome, but when they combine forces, it’s truly fabulous. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you have a good day!

6. OneMotherofaDay May 6, 2013 / 10:10 am

I ran a 1/2 marathon yesterday, breaking my PR for halfs by more than 5 minutes. I was very happy with my race. Today is going to be a somewhat rest and relaxation day, as much as I can rest with a very active 17month old running around.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 11:18 am

Holy crap, that’s awesome — what a huge accomplishment! You definitely deserve a day of R&R (well, as much R&R is possible with your wee one)! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 6, 2013 / 11:31 am

Oh i totally know what you mean- i like a restful weekend just as much -if not more- than i like really social ones. It’s just necessary to recharge at the end of the week. This weekend my boyfriend and I kept it pretty low key. even on cinco de mayo, we planned on doing this whole day drinking thing, but we ended up getting 1 beer and then just going to the park to soak up the sun ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 11:36 am

Aaaah, that sounds lovely! It’s awesome that you also got to soak up some sun this weekend — I find that some photosynthesis (never mind that we’re not actually all plants) makes everything in life better. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a great Monday!

8. chasingchels May 6, 2013 / 12:19 pm

Aww i’m sorry you were under the weather this weekend ๐Ÿ˜ฆ hoping that you’re feeling better AND incredibly jealous that you have a wegmans…anytime i visit my sister in nj i make her take me so i can play there haha. I love it ๐Ÿ˜› and i’m about as decisive as you weekend wise…only time i have to relax and see everyone and get stuff done…normally i try to shoot for a little of each but this upcoming weekend all i want to do is relax…i’m wiped!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 3:15 pm

Girl, when next weekend rolls around, I hereby command you to do absolutely NOTHING. Ok, not nothing — but a couple days of vegging around the house are definitely in order for you!

9. Moi Contre Le Vie May 6, 2013 / 12:40 pm

I always have the same issue with weekends – I *should* socialize and stay in touch w/ people but all I really want to do it clean, cook, run errands, and spend hours on end glued to my laptop catching up on everything. I tryyyy to balance but moderation isn’t really my strong suit. ๐Ÿ™‚

And congrats on the veggie burger! I completely understand that search as my mother & referred to them as “barf burgers” when I was growing up… Not terribly mature obviously but it does illustrate the usual cardboardy flavor. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 3:13 pm

Bhahahah! I love the term “barf burger” — they definitely look that way! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m also glad to know that I’m not the only one who feels torn on the weekends. I totally get what you’re saying on trying to balance the two, since moderation isn’t really my strong suit either. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Melissa May 6, 2013 / 7:29 pm

I was totally one of those people who scoffed at the kindle when it first came out….how could such a cold uncaring object replace a book?!

Yeah, I’ve changed my tune. I LOVE mine. You’ve seen a bit of my weekend, but I’m thinking that some relaxing/reading is in order this coming weekend – I’m definitely always torn between DOING ALL THE THINGS and….none of them.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 6, 2013 / 8:07 pm

Right?! I totally gave Kindles the “Pishaw” treatment at first…and then I started running out of space on my bookshelves. And I started getting tired of schlepping huge books with me during my commute. And now? I’m a convert! ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope this weekend gives you time to commune with your Kindle for some R&R — you definitely deserve it!

11. Meredith May 7, 2013 / 8:34 am

Salted caramel pinkberry is literally my favorite food on the planet. I will cry when I step off the plane in June and see a pinkberry!! hope you are feeling better, and sooo glad you found your veggie burgers!

12. Jorie May 7, 2013 / 9:19 am

Hope you’re feeling better, Lillian! I like to spend my weekends relaxing too. I’ve been so on-the-go the past couple weekends because I moved into a new place so that’s been super annoying. I cant wait to veg.