Fun Times With The Leibster Award

Back in the days when I used to take the Metro, I’d emerge from the stop near my office and see a bunch of WaPo Express employees handing out free papers. There was one guy in particular, though, who always made me smile. As far as I could tell, he only worked on Tuesdays — because every time I came up the escalator on a Tuesday morning, I could hear his voice booming “HAPPY TUESDAY! HAVE A GREAT DAY! HAAAAAAAPPY TUUUUUESDAAAAAY!”

I gotta say: I’ve never especially liked Tuesdays, but this guy always made them a bit brighter. Even though I no longer endure the misery that is the Metro, I still find myself saying “HAPPY TUESDAY!” in my head each week.

This is a particularly happy Tuesday, since the lovely Liv from Liv Lives Life and the lovely Mariette from Cursory Moments both nominated me for a Liebster Award!

Picture 2

The Liebster Award works thusly:

1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger(s).
  2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
  4. List 11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers (as best as you can tell based on the info provided!). They should be bloggers that you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
  5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers that you nominated to answer.
  6. Let all of the bloggers know that they’ve been nominated.  You cannot nominate the blogger that nominated you.

So, with all that in mind, let’s get this party started!

11 Random facts about yours truly:

1) One more for the grandma-status column: I can feel weather changes in my bones. Whenever the weather starts getting cold, drizzly, or just generally gross, my knees and hips start aching. I know this particular mutant skill should only be relegated to old people who wear overalls and straw hats and say things like “Sorm’s a-rollin’ in. I can feel it in my bones,” but this pink jacket-wearing 30-something is totally impeding on their territory.

2) I love art, but I veeery nearly failed art history in college. I was fascinated by the class, but as luck would have it, my brain outright rejects rote memorization. More specifically, it refuses to retain any information I try to cram into it by such means. I aced every paper — if I was able to write an in-depth analysis of a few pieces, I was golden — but I spectacularly flopped on all the tests that required us to memorize hundreds of works of art. The professor, God bless her, took pity on me and gave me points for trying so hard on the final exam. I wound up with a C in that class, which was the first and only time in my life I’ve been ok with getting a C. This was my face during pretty much every art history exam:

image

3) Speaking of art, my all-time favorite artists are Monet and Matisse. I love my Impressionists and my Fauvists! (See? I didn’t almost tank art history for lack of interest or effort!)

4) I love nearly every kind of music, but I have a not-so-secret love of both country music and 80’s big hair bands. I’ve been known to listen to Garth Brooks and Def Leppard within a few minutes of each other, which I know is unbelievably weird. But hey, I’m nothing if not eclectic.

5) The only kinds of music I don’t like are show tunes and opera — but even then, there are some exceptions. Most notably, I love Carmina Burana and I’ve been known to sing the occasional song from Fiddler on the Roof.

6) Speaking of Fiddler on the Roof and all things Jewish, I’m what my Jewish friends call an Honorary Member of the Tribe: I speak Hebrew, I know a ridiculous amount about Jewish holidays and religious traditions, I’ve lived in Israel…and yet my ethnic and religious heritage are about as shiksa-y as a gal can get. Truth is stranger than fiction, y’all.

7) I’m scared of the dark. (Always have been, always will be.) If I wake up and can’t see anything, it throws me into a state of abject terror. Do I insist on having night lights throughout my home? Yes. Do many people think this means that I’ve failed at adulthood? Yes. Does that deter me? No.

8) I think pinatas are one of the awesomest things on Earth.

9) I also think this about avocados. If you were to fill a pinata with avocadoes, it’d be the funnest possible way to make guacamole, and then I’d be an exceedingly happy camper.

10) The first time I remember being aware — acutely aware, in fact — of my hair influencing how I look was sometime when I was about 3 years old. What happened, you ask?

Well. My mom, for reasons that she now fully admits were ill-conceived, decided to give me a bowl haircut. Now, bowl haircuts looked bad on boys circa 1984, but they looked really, really bad on girls who happened to have a lot of very thick hair. I vividly remember looking in the mirror and bursting into tears because my new haircut made me look like a boy. I wept bitterly for days afterwards, and I was angry about that incident for years. (I’d also like to destroy all photographic evidence of that hideous haircut. Thirty years later, it still horrifies me.)

11) For the last day, I’ve been constantly thinking of the GF cinnamon bun featured on Sara’s blog. I’m not kidding. I need one of those things, ASAP.

On to Liv’s questions:

1. If you could be a fly on the wall for any significant historical moment, which would it be and why? I’m a history nerd, y’all — so my answer to this is a tough one. However, because the validity of the Battle of Troy is disputed, I’d have to go with that.
  2. What was your favorite class in high school? It’s a tie between international politics and senior year AP English.
  3. What is your favorite time of day? Morning, preferably around 8 a.m.
  4. If you could be an animal, which would you be? A cheetah! I’d love to run like the wind, and I love the big cats. 🙂
  5. Do you have a least favorite word? What is it? Nibbles. It grosses me out.
  6. What TV show are you obsessed with right now? We’re obsessed with Breaking Bad, but I also love The Americans, The Soup, True Blood, and Fashion Police.
  7. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? Durrrrr…I’m not sure. Fro yo?
  8. North or South? South…west. I can’t do the southeast – I know a lot of people love it there, but it always wigs me out.
  9. What is one goal on your “Life’s To Do list?” See a volcano erupt!
  10. What is your favorite way to celebrate a birthday? With a glass of sangria, a good dinner, and some ice cream…and presents. I might be an adult, but I still love presents.
  11. Who do you most admire?  I know it sounds cliche, but I deeply admire my parents. They’ve set a wonderful example of what a healthy, happy marriage looks like, and they’ve both been willing to take big risks in order to be true to themselves and follow their dreams.
Last random fact: I really want to get a dog someday. Also, I freakin’ LOVE chocolate labs. When I saw this picture on Pinterest, I might have swooned and turned into a pile of goo.

This is the part where I’m going to break the rules a little bit: instead of nominating specific blogs, I’m going to simply say that I love – and therefore nominate – the blogs of all the folks who read and comment here. Y’all rock my world!

And, in that same spirit, I love learning new and random things about you lovely people. If you’re so inclined, I’d be thrilled to see y’all list some random facts that give us readers some insight into who you are as a person, not just who you are as a blogger. You all strike me as being incredibly cool people, and I’d love to learn more about you!

Soooo…consider yourselves nominated, and have a HAAAAAAAPY TUEEEESDAAAAAAY! 🙂

(Side note: If you’d rather not do the whole award post, no worries – but I’d love to hear a random factoid about you in the comments!)

27 thoughts on “Fun Times With The Leibster Award

1. musingsoftheamusingmuse May 7, 2013 / 8:18 am

Congrats on the Award! Also: I think we must get together and make guacamole-a la-pinata.

2. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 7, 2013 / 8:18 am

Congrats on the award!! You deserve it. i loved reading this post!! it’s always so fun to get to “know” the blogger better. and thats so funny i had the EXACT same problem in art history- i wanted to minor in it so badly but it was pulling my gpa down so i dropped it. however, i think my problems lay in both the tests and the essays to be honest… for whatever reason i just could not “do” art history.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 7:32 am

I’m SO glad to know I’m not the only one who struggled with Art History — everybody else seemed to think it was easy, which made me feel even more bewildered. Bad memorizers, unite! 🙂

3. Taryn May 7, 2013 / 9:15 am

Senior year AP English was my favorite class in high school, too! And I love that you included pinatas on your list – the gif made me laugh.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 7:30 am

I love the horrified looks of the people in the background in the piñata gif. That, I think, might be the best part. 😉

4. Alex @ therunwithin May 7, 2013 / 10:21 am

I am showtunes girl, sorry. I think I credit it to my drama phase in eighth grade when I become obsessed with all things musicals and plays. I still listen to them now, not as frequently but I may or may not know every word. You should invent a guacamole pinata, that would sell. delicious if you ask me

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 7:30 am

I think I’m the only woman alive who doesn’t love show tunes, so you’re in good company! 🙂 And YES to the guac piñata – it needs to happen.

5. livliveslife May 7, 2013 / 10:52 am

It would be really interesting to see the Battle of Troy. I like that answer! Actually, I like all of these facts and ideas…particularly the avocado pinata. Too funny!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 7:29 am

I’ve decided that the avocado piñata needs to happen. I’m not sure how or when, but it *will* become a reality!

6. chasingchels May 7, 2013 / 12:38 pm

Pinatas are awesome as are avocados and I loved AP English in high school too 🙂

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 7:10 am

My senior year AP English teacher was one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. The course itself was awesome, but he made it especially amazing!

7. Cindy Jillie May 7, 2013 / 1:02 pm

I’ve never had guacamole. In a piñata? You crack me up.

8. Mariette May 7, 2013 / 1:40 pm

Gosh, I can’t remember the last time I hit a pinata… I might need to incorporate that into the next bday bonanza!

And fear not, we’ve all had the terrible hair cuts. My mom gave me some doozies, like HUGE bangs, an excessive amount of bangs, bangs that were rolled into a tight weenie roll… Thank Mom!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 6:48 am

OMG, the bangs rolled into a tight weenie roll made me giggle uncontrollably. I’d forgotten about that trend! Oh, how I don’t miss the 80s and early 90s. 😉

And I fully support the incorporation of pinatas into birthdays and, well, any occasion. I got a unicorn pinata for a colleague’s farewell party a few weeks ago, and it was awesome — and through that, I realized that any occasion at all can totally call for a pinata. 🙂

9. Jorie May 7, 2013 / 9:09 pm

Congrats, Lillian! You deserve it. I genuinely look forward to reading what you write. UM those chocolate labs are swoon-inducing. Pinterest has the cutest puppies. I could survive on fro-yo and pizza for the rest of my life, no sweat. I’d have rickets and weigh 400 pounds, but I could do it.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 6:45 am

Amen, sister soultrain! Pizza and fro-yo would totally be the way to go. Like you said, we’d be riddled with nutritional deficiencies and morbidly obese — but it’d be doable. 😉

10. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 8, 2013 / 12:41 am

Squee! I love the idea of making guacamole out of pinata-fallen avocados. It would kind of be like a wine grape crushing, but a far more delicious and stain-free experience. Want to join me in making it happen once I return to DC? Gah, that would be an epic party!

Speaking of parties…80s hair bands = totally rad. I’m also a huge fan of 80s pop, show tunes, and crooners like Frank Sinatra. My iTunes playlists are pretty eclectic.

Oh man, I wish I could have shared that cinnamon roll with you! Actually, I don’t. But I totally would have bought you one of your own! 😉

Happy Tuesdaaaaaaay to you, too! ❤

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 6:43 am

Bhahahahah — girl, I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to ask you to part ways with even a portion of one of those wondrous things! 😉

And YES, pinata-guacamole party. Your description of it being akin to wine grape crushing is perfect. One key question remains: what to call this. Pinole? Guacata? What’s the best way to combine the two words?

11. Melissa May 8, 2013 / 1:49 am

Monet is my all-time favorite artist, hands down. I saw a showcase of his work at a museum when I was in Paris, and spent hours at the museum…while making a list of my favorites.

I haven’t hit a pinata in forever. I miss the feeling of the bat in my hand!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 6:40 am

Omigod, getting to see a full Monet showcase — in Paris, no less — must’ve been amazing! What an awesome experience to have! (And, um, can I live vicariously though you when it comes to Monet showcases in Paris?) 🙂

12. jessielovestorun May 8, 2013 / 5:31 am

Congratulations on the award my love! I swear, everytime I read another one of your posts I swear we just become more and more similar! I too am terrified of the dark (my parents electricity bill used to atrocious while growing up.. whoops), my mom too gave me a bowl cut.. and yes I have thick hair…. now that I think of it, maybe it was a punishment for the high electricity bills?? Ha Ha

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 6:39 am

Bhahahahaha! I’m so glad I’m not the only one who burned through my parents’ income by keeping all the lights on. (And holy cow, this was especially bad if I was ever home alone. EVERY LIGHT IN THE HOUSE would be blazing!) 🙂

And oh, the bowl cuts — why did anyone ever think they were a good idea?!

13. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama May 17, 2013 / 3:11 pm

Loved learning a little more about you! I love Garth Brooks, and, though I’m not a big show tunes fan (and my husband is DEFINITELY NOT), we both get ‘If I Were a Rich Man’ from Fiddler on the Roof stuck in our heads. My aunt also sang ‘Sunrise, Sunset’ at our wedding. We hadn’t seen the movie at that point, but she sang it beautifully. Once we saw the movie, we loved it. Again, not a big musical fan but Fiddler on the Roof and Singing in the Rain are awesome!

I grew up in the Southeast and agree that there are some pretty CRAZY things that happen below the Mason Dixon Line. We’d love to move out West some day, and our ultimate dream is to live abroad in Western Europe for a few years while our girls our young. Still looking for those job opps!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 18, 2013 / 11:47 am

Living abroad with your girls would be amazing — it’s awesome that you guys are looking to do that! My mom’s dad was in the foreign service, so she spent a lot of time in Europe when she was growing up, and she loved it. It’s a fantastic idea, and I’ll keep my fingers crossed for those job opps! 🙂