WAIW: Book Love, More Fro Yo, and Lots of Chicken

Have you ever had one of those experiences where you feel like you’re in need of something — even something small — and suddenly, BLAMO, the answer to your question/very thing you need is right in front of you?

I had this experience this weekend with my beloved Sonoma Burgers, but it also happened again Monday night: while I was on the bus, I was thinking about how I often feel like I don’t deserve to ask for what I really want.

I feel inexplicably selfish and, I dunno, bad when I say “Hey, I’d really like a helping hand/bit of encouragement/opportunity to open up.” (It turns out that while I’m really progressive and all about reinforcing other peoples’ self-worth, I’m like an angry Calvinist in caffeine withdrawal when it comes to doing those things for myself.)

Anyways, there I was: sitting on the bus and feeling bad about the fact that I’d really, really, really like it if some key things in life could just fall into place. A few seconds later, I realized: I need some inspiration in my life. And where, exactly, is a nerdy girl like myself supposed to find such inspiration?

Books.

They’re my homies.

So, I pulled up the Amazon bookstore on my iPhone and browsed my little heart out as the bus hurtled down the highway — and within minutes, I’d found the perfect thing.

Image Source: http://www.positivelypresent.com

Like I said before: BLAMO.

As soon as I started reading it, I knew I’d found the perfect book for me. I’m 15% of the way through (thank you, Kindle, for giving me such precise percentages), and I already feel like I’ve hit the jackpot. All the messages and viewpoints that have led to me being so harsh on myself are getting debunked faster than Usain Bolt can run 100 meters. (Ok, that’s a slight exaggeration. But that’s not the point.)

Adding to which, all the gut feelings I’ve had in recent years — for example, the fact that everybody says that working and adulthood are supposed to be a slog towards retirement and that work is supposed to be more or less soul-shredding, while I keep thinking “That can’t be true. There has to be some way to work hard, earn a decent amount of income, make a meaningful contribution to the world, and actually be happy”are being validated left and right.

Needless to say, I lurve it. One could even say I’m eating it up, which brings me to…

Peas and Crayons

Woohoo! Thanks as always to Jenn over at Peas & Crayons for hosting. ๐Ÿ™‚

My food offerings this week have been pretty consistent with my normal routine: Coffee and toast before my morning workout, followed by a big ol’ smoothie.

Lunches this week have relied on my foodie BFFs, the elusive but beloved Sonoma Burgers. I still can’t get over the fact that I finally found them after 18 months of fruitless searching!

Aside from the Sonoma Burgers, our one time venturing out for lunch this week wound up being a serious GF win: we went to Coastal Flats in Fairfax, VA after our closest-approximation-to-Tex-Mex plans (out here on the East Coast, we know we can’t get the real thing — but we’ve found a reasonable facsimile) were thwarted by the insane Cinco de Mayo crowds. The folks at Coastal Flats were incredibly accommodating of my gluten allergy; the manager came and talked to me about what menu options were safe, how they prepare the GF food, etc., and he was awesome. Not surprisingly, my meal — a chop salad with pan-seared chicken — was delicious!

My snacks have involved the usual suspects: Pamela’s Whenever Bars, Greek yogurt with fruit and granola, and fresh fruit (apples and cantaloupe: best snack fruit ever).

Dinners have been all over the place, and last week I made coconut-cashew curry chicken tenders with jasmine rice and broccoli…

DSC00851

…as well as a spatchcock-style roasted chicken with white wine, lemon, and oregano.

DSC00845Desserts have been — need we even ask? — fro yo!

Pinkberry

With all that being said, I hope everyone has a phenomenal Wednesday! And tell me…

Has the right thing ever fallen into your lap at exactly the right time?

Do you ever feel bad about asking for what you really want?

What’s your favorite dessert?

28 thoughts on “WAIW: Book Love, More Fro Yo, and Lots of Chicken

1. livliveslife May 8, 2013 / 7:33 am

Hooray for froyo! Best dessert ever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Meredith May 8, 2013 / 7:37 am

I’m so with you on that one lady! I have always felt guilty to ask for what I want-mainly at work, but also in some relationships too. I am going to have to take a look at that book ๐Ÿ™‚
    My favorite homemade dessert is chocolate chip cookie bars with a scoop of icecream. classic and delicious. But Fro-yo is my favorite treat to get out for dessert!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 5:13 pm

Oooooh, chocolate chip cookies with ice cream sounds absolutely sublime. Brandon makes these cookies (Monster Cookies) that are among the most addictive things on the entire planet. If those were to ever join forces with fro yo or ice cream, I think I’d have a dessert-induced bliss seizure.

3. Taryn May 8, 2013 / 8:39 am

“It turns out that while Iโ€™m really progressive and all about reinforcing other peoplesโ€™ self-worth, Iโ€™m like an angry Calvinist in caffeine withdrawal when it comes to doing those things for myself.” – Me, too! So I’m adding that book to my Kindle as soon as I finish writing this comment. If it helped you, it’s definitely worth reading.

• Taryn May 8, 2013 / 8:47 am

Just had to follow up because I ended up on http://www.daniellelaporte.com/ (the author of that book) – I’ve read one post so far and ohmygosh, it’s just so perfect. It’s like reading a (much better written) conversation with my best friend. Thanks for finding that book!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 11:05 am

Right?! I love her website, and I totally agree that it’s like reading a conversation with my best friend. Lurve!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 5:12 pm

Seriously, I can’t recommend it highly enough — I figure that if I’m this impressed with it 15% of the way though, I’ll be bursting with praise by the time I actually finish it!

4. jessielovestorun May 8, 2013 / 8:43 am

I’m not sure what’s wrong, but the only photo your page will load for me right now is the froyo, Ha Ha! Either way, it looks delicious & perfect for the spring & summer nights!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 5:11 pm

Hmmm, I’m not sure what’s up with that either – thank you for letting me know, though! ๐Ÿ™‚ (Hey, at least the picture of the fro yo came through — it’s the most important one, no?)

5. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 8, 2013 / 9:24 am

YES! This post speaks to me this morning. my mom always says women have a problem asking for what they want, while men seem to always make it known when they need something (be it a raise at work, emotional support, etc) And i’m the same way, sometimes i just dont feel like I deserve whatever it is i want to ask for. i’m working on changing that though. I need to get this book, it sounds amazing.

and also your analogies this morning are amazing- the angry calvinist in caffeine withdrawal made me spit out my own coffee, and the usain bolt reference warrants a virtual high five.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 3:26 pm

I think you’re right that there’s a gender divide on this — I’ve heard many women say how guilty they feel for this, and I don’t know any dudes who feel that way.

And I’m glad you like the analogies! ๐Ÿ™‚ Virtual high-five received and reciprocated.

6. cookingfortheotherhalf May 8, 2013 / 9:43 am

Omg that froyo looks incredible.

That book looks awesome and like…exactly what I should be reading next.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 3:24 pm

I highly recommend the book — it’s fantastic, so I’m all on board with you adding it to your reading list!

7. musingsoftheamusingmuse May 8, 2013 / 9:46 am

I’m a true believer in “everything happens for a reason”, and that said – often, yes… the “answer” just seems to fall into my lap right when I need it.

Desserts? Chocolate. Anything chocolate. I’m currently out of chocolate dessert… so I shall be making some Black Bean Brownies to remedy that issue. They are fudgey and delicious and… I load them up with “sticks ‘n twigs” like cacao nibs and ground flax seed.

And now… asking for what I want. I have the SAME issues you describe. Mr. Muse and my Mom tell me that I am THE HARDEST person to shop for because I never say what I want. Even my “wish list” contains items I could really “use” so they aren’t seen as an indulgence by anyone but myself. Even asking for help for little things, I feel like I have to apologize first for my even NEEDING to have to have help. I will be adding that book to my must read list!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 3:23 pm

Oooh, black bean brownies sound divine!

I completely agree on feeling guilty about even needing to have help. I feel bad about that all the time, and I’m working on getting better about it — Brandon always has to remind me that I’m not alone and that he’s here to help shoulder the load, but it’s hard for me to remember sometimes.

8. Jorie May 8, 2013 / 11:07 am

I must look into that book, Lillian! That sounds like just the kick I need.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 8, 2013 / 3:18 pm

It’s fantastic! I can’t recommend it highly enough, and I’m not even 1/4 of the way though — I imagine I’ll be shouting my praise from the rooftops by the time I actually finish it!

9. Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles May 8, 2013 / 6:36 pm

I do believe that sometimes things fall in our lap just when we need it– like it’s so meant to be! Book sounds great and so perfect

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 6:05 am

I totally agree — I’ve had that experience more than once, so I feel like things definitely pan out in certain ways for a good reason. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Brittany May 9, 2013 / 12:33 am

I struggle sooo hard at asking others for much of anything. I think I’m superhuman or something, when in reality I need help more than people think. I need somethings to start falling into place, and I am patiently waiting for that to happen! Books most definitely help!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 6:04 am

Amen, sister soultrain! It’s amazing how hard it is to ask for help and acknowledge that we’re not superhuman, and yet it feels oddly liberating when I eventually just go ahead and cop to it. (Whoda thunk it?) ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Melissa May 9, 2013 / 1:12 am

I really do think that eventually things fall into place when we least expect it. I know I also undervalue myself – I put the needs/desires of others ahead of mine, and sometimes that’s so detrimental to your own personal happiness and success. I would definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts when you’re finished with that book, but it already sounds like it’s something I should put on my list!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 9, 2013 / 6:02 am

I can totally relate to the issue of undervaluing yourself — I do the same thing all. The. Time. I’m trying to take note of how often I do that and how it makes me feel when I do it; as you said, it’s incredibly detrimental to happiness and success, so I want to train myself out of that particular habit. ๐Ÿ™‚