Friday Fun Times: Five Things I’m Diggin’ This Week

Good morning, and TGIF! (*Does Friday-induced happy dance*)

In celebration of the fact that it’s Friday, I figured I’d do another post to highlight all the things I’ve been loving on/excited about this week.

1) Although the tote I bought from Target a few weeks ago managed to break and thus meet its demise shortly after I bought it (booooo), I was able to return it without any problems. I then picked up this bag as a replacement, and I also replaced my old wallet, which was starting to fall apart a bit. To say the least, I looooooove both the new bag and the new wallet — the blue and turquoise are so pretty, and they seem so seasonally appropriate! I may or may not get a bit giddy every time I look at them.

Bag and wallet

2) The Firestarter Sessions is blowing my mind, people. This book is seriously awesome. I also recommend checking out Danielle LaPorte’s website (she’s the author of this wondrous tome); as Taryn put it (quite perfectly, I might add), it’s like reading a conversation with your best friend.

Apparently Danielle LaPorte is launching a magazine in September and is accepting writing submissions — and as you might have guessed, I’m itchin’ to submit something for their consideration. (*Starts wiggling in desk chair out of sheer excitement*) It’s scary, and the “Oh God, I can’t possibly be good enough – there’s no way I’ll get anything but rejected” voice of fear is acting up like nobody’s business — but I’m just going to channel my inner Kanye and tell that voice that “Imma let you finish, but I can write the best submission of all time!” Ok, it won’t be the best submission of all time — but it will be from the heart, and that’s the best kind of writing I can possibly do.

3) Fitness updates: I ran 2.5 miles on Wednesday afternoon and donated my Charity Miles to Every Mother Counts (an organization I greatly admire). In my quest to do something meaningful with my life and to feel like I’m making a contribution — albeit a small one — to making the world a better place, Charity Miles has become one of my favorite go-to sources of action and inspiration. Being able to get my sweat on while helping to raise money for causes I believe in has, for me at least, been seriously awesome.

I also did more FitnessBlender and Yoga Downloads workouts this week. I did Yoga Download’s Yoga Sculpt class last night, and then I busted out Fitness Blender’s cardio kickboxing this morning. I loved them both!

I’ve also recently decided to embrace a standard of fitness that has more flexibility than I’ve allowed myself to have before. I was kicking myself for not having enough time to cook meals, work out for 45 minutes a day, and blog in my spare time — but all that scheduling insanity started really wearing on me. In light of that, I came to the conclusion that it’s ok to keep my workouts around 30 minutes each.

The fact is, blogging makes me incredibly happy, and writing brings me more joy than any job ever has — so I want to make time to do it. If it comes at the expense of those last 15 minutes of exercise, then so be it.

4) ELF cosmetics: While I was at Target, I was doing some reconnaissance in their cosmetics section as part of my hunt for new eyeliner and new eye shadow. (My collection has been rapidly diminishing, but I hate spending moolah on obnoxiously overpriced cosmetics, even at my beloved Target.) Lo and behold, I saw that ELF products are between — get this — $1-$2. I’m not kidding. I just about had to scrape my jaw up off the floor. I got two eyeshadow sets and one eyeliner pencil for $5 total, which felt like the cosmetics coup to end all cosmetics coups. It was astonishing.

ELF

5) A mailbox full of goodies: This month’s InStyle and Birchbox arrived on the same day. If that isn’t worthy of a whoop of excitement, I don’t know what is. A certain someone — whose name may or may not be Lillian — might have also picked up a bottle of rosΓ© at Costco yesterday (because this person is super classy like that, and she obviously has really high-brow taste in wine). This person might be really excited to read InStyle while drinking a glass of vino after work, possibly while deep-conditioning her hair with one of the Birchbox samples. #SorryI’mNotSorry.

DSC00859-001

I hope y’all have an awesome day — and of course, I’ve got questions for you lovely people:

What’s your favorite way to unwind on a Friday night?

Do you have any big or exciting weekend plans?

{Obviously, this is the really important question} Do you like cheap wine from Costco or Three Buck Chuck from Trader Joe’s? (Please tell me yes and that I’m not the only one around here who’s the total opposite of a wine connoisseur?)

26 thoughts on “Friday Fun Times: Five Things I’m Diggin’ This Week

1. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 10, 2013 / 6:47 am

Hahaha I LOVE three buck chuck! and ive never had costco wine- not because i’m to fancy for it- but because i havent been to costco in for-ev-er. I’m not above walking into a wine store and upon being greeted by the wine guy, i respond to his “may i help you” with “yes, what is your best cheapest wine? and sir, by best cheapest, i mean cheapest.” Awesome find with the elf products! That wallet is my favorite thing ever and good for you to applying to the new magazine!! no guts no glory.

I’m noticing that I too love blog writing more than any job and i tend to budget my time around the blog, versus other things that used to take priority. have the most wonderful weekend!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 11, 2013 / 7:47 pm

Hooray for cheap wine! I’ve been known to wax poetic about how much I love crappy boxed wine (seriously though, I think that shiz is delicious), so I’m glad I’ve got company in asking straight-out for the cheapest available vino. πŸ™‚

Have a lovely weekend!

2. riversidebaking May 10, 2013 / 7:24 am

Love your new bag and purse, the colours are so summery and dreamy! What’s a Birch box (forgive my english innocence)!
    I love trader joes so much, I may petition them to come to London, I think it was the favourite bit of my holiday (maybe not, buts it’s close). The one bit of America we do get over here though is Costco, I recently went to a hen party and stocked up on pastries, booze etc on the way, no one had heard of Costco but all agreed to was really good value for money. Also totally love that when you go to costco you get fed by all the samples on the way round – don’t get that anywhere else here.

Anyway sorry for waffling!
    Steph x

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:17 pm

Ooooh, it’d be amazing if Trader Joe’s came to London! It’d give Whole Foods a run for their money (although I looooooove M&S, so hopefully TJ’s wouldn’t give them too much competition). πŸ˜‰

As for Birchbox, it’s a cosmetics sampling service — I’m not sure if they ship to the UK, but it’s incredibly reasonably priced, and it’s also highly personalized. I love and highly recommend it! https://www.birchbox.com/

3. musingsoftheamusingmuse May 10, 2013 / 9:08 am

On the wine, even wine EXPERTS say that it doesn’t matter the price of the wine as long as you LIKE the wine. One of the highest rated 2012 reislings comes from Wollershiem Winery here in Wisconsin and it sells for ~$8 a bottle – it’s SUPERB. Their Prairie Fume is also a top seller (Wisconsin has some pretty kick ass wineries).

I’m officially addicted to the computer, but I try to pull myself away to read or watch a disc from Netflix with Mr. Muse.

And my weekend? Getting the hairs on my head trimmed – hooray! Super-big plans right there. πŸ˜‰

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:14 pm

Oh! I approve of the wine experts’ take on this matter — hooray! And here I was, feeling silly about my affinity for crappy boxed wine and $8 Costco rose. πŸ˜‰

Have a lovely weekend, and happy hair cutting!

4. Alex @ therunwithin May 10, 2013 / 10:52 am

i think finding a schedule that has the balance you want is key. to some blogging may be an extra unnecessary thing, but like you i find it such a release to just write.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:13 pm

Amen, sister soultrain — it’s all a matter of personal preference. I was thinking today about a friend who felt that if blogging cut into her exercise time, then it was unquestionably the blogging that would have to take the hit — it’s the opposite for me, but I’m a big proponent of doing the things that make you happy and fulfilled. πŸ™‚

5. cleaneatingveggiegirl May 10, 2013 / 11:38 am

That wallet is fantastic! I am majorly crushing on everything turquoise right now :).

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:11 pm

Thanks! And oh, turquoise — I love ALL THE TURQUOISE. It’s so pretty and summery, and I can completely relate to crushing on all things turquoise! (In case, y’know, that wasn’t totally obvious.) πŸ™‚

6. chasingchels May 10, 2013 / 11:43 am

Ahhh i love the elf stuff!! Let’s me pretend to be a girl the very few times a year i get the urge (read:have to) without breaking the bank πŸ˜› the only thing i’m doing this weekend for sure is getting a hair cut (and running a few miles is probably a safe bet :P), and I couldn’t be happier. My fav way to spend a friday night is with the boy, homemade pizza, wine, and our new dvr or netflix πŸ˜€ can’t wait for 5:30 tonight! Oh, and i love that you’re limiting exercise so you can do what you love more…put a huge smile on my face πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:10 pm

Aaaaah, pizza, wine, and Netflix! Best. Combo. Ever. πŸ™‚ Enjoy your haircut and your much-deserved downtime, love!

7. Alix May 10, 2013 / 1:56 pm

Man, I loved Three Buck Chuck back when it was Two Buck Chuck! I still love it at $3, though.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:09 pm

Oh, those were the days! I remember being stunned that there was such a thing as $2 wine — I mean, it’s still fairly stunning at $3, and it’s damn good. Aaaah, TJ’s!

8. Melissa May 10, 2013 / 2:56 pm

Haha I will drink whatever wine is available, and most of the time that’s Barefoot or Chuck or Costco – no shame. I love having a drink and watching a movie or reading a magazine on a lazy Friday night.

As for this weekend? Maybe some friend meet-ups, but otherwise I’m looking to be lazy! (besides saturday night when I work, sigh).

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:08 pm

Booo for working on Saturday night, but hooray for the rest of your plans to veg and hang out with friends! πŸ™‚

I’m glad to know I’m in good company on the good ship Cheap Wine, too. πŸ™‚

9. megbek May 10, 2013 / 4:11 pm

Blogging makes me happy too and it’s worth the time and effort! I love tuning into what others are doing because honestly, it’s my motivation. I get so many ideas from other folks and I wouldn’t be the runner I am today without blogging. So much love! Dude, Elf stuff is amazing! I dislike wine altogether and would much rather have a fatty beer than anything else! πŸ™‚ Have a great weekend!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:07 pm

I totally agree — I love hearing about what other people are doing and thinking. Y’all are fascinating! πŸ™‚

And I totally hear you on the glories of beer. If I didn’t have to deal with Celiac, I’d be all about it — and, prior to my diagnosis, I totally was. (Abita Strawberry Ale and Allagash White were my absolute faves.) Have a brewski for me, and happy Friday! πŸ™‚

10. Michelle @ Run Kiwi Run! May 10, 2013 / 4:51 pm

That wallet is gorgeous! I’m heading to the states in just under two months (I’m in New Zealand) – how am I going to fit such wonderful Target buys into my suitcase?!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013 / 6:04 pm

Thanks! πŸ™‚ There have been times when I’ve traveled with an extra (empty) suitcase so I can buy a ton of stuff while on vacay. I get weird looks when I fly with a suitcase full of GF bread from Colorado (if trafficking in carbs could be a crime, I’d be sooooooo very guilty), but it’s worth it! πŸ™‚

• Michelle @ Run Kiwi Run! May 10, 2013 / 8:14 pm

I always travel with GF food… At least I can ‘eat’ my way through what I take and stock up with some of the amazing things you guys get to have (picky bars are something I’m looking forward to trying!)

11. Tiff May 11, 2013 / 7:20 am

I likecheap wine from TJs, but i dont like all of it. There are certainy some hidden gems! love yournew wallet. So cute!

12. Jorie May 11, 2013 / 11:19 am

There’s nothing like getting mail — and when it’s presents in the mail, it’s even better. My favorite way to relax on Friday is making a pizza, sipping a diet coke (I try to only have one per week), and catching up on a few TV shows or reading. I don’t mind going to a local pub with a few friends but it has to be quiet enough to enjoy conversation. Or I get out my cane and start banging on the ceiling. (Because I’m a grandma).

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 11, 2013 / 7:45 pm

LOL – I can totally appreciate the bit about busting out a cane to quiet down the young whipper-snappers upstairs. πŸ™‚ And I totally agree about the bars: I can’t deal with it when it’s too loud to carry a conversation without yelling. Grandma status 4 lyfe!

13. Mariette May 12, 2013 / 12:23 pm

Yes 30 minutes for a workout is OK! I’m trying to convince myself the same thing. I’ve been so stuck in the mindset that if I couldn’t get in an hour it wasn’t even worth it, which simply is not true. I have to quit feeling guilty if I can only squeeze in 20 or 30 minutes. Intensity is key!

And p.s. LOVE your wallet, is that Target too? I might have to go check it out πŸ™‚