No Mas: A Rant

Well.

I was going to write a post today about our meal plan for the week, but last night as I was working out, Brandon went to pick up the mail — and when he returned, I saw that this month’s issue of SELF Magazine had arrived.

I’ve been a subscriber for a few years now, and although I originally liked it, over time I started finding that reading it makes me feel like sh*t. So, a few months ago, I decided that I wouldn’t renew my subscription when it expires this summer.

It hasn’t expired yet, though, and the June issue arrived last night. Upon seeing the cover, it pissed right the eff off.

You see, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about weight, health, body image, and fitness. I feel like almost all fitness and health information is geared towards weight loss and the aesthetics of being thin and toned, as opposed to the noble goal of simply being healthy and strong.You don’t see magazines talking about getting strong, you see them talking about burning calories. They don’t talk about how running can enhance your cardiovascular health, they talk about how to get skinny in time for beach season.

This, in my book at least, isn’t cool.

Look, I know that skinniness sells (whereas words like “cardiovascular” make peoples’ eyes glaze over). I get it. But really, I find that the emphasis on being thin consistently makes me feel awful.

I exercise all the effing time and I eat well (boneless, skinless chicken breasts and steamed veggies are my homies), but I have curves. Lots of ’em. I don’t have a perfectly perky tush, my child-bearing hips make me look like I was built to be Michelle Duggar’s understudy, and I was genetically graced with a stomach that, despite an unending number of crunches and hours of Pilates, will never be perfectly flat.Β  Maybe I’m wrong here, but I suspect I’m not the only one in this boat.

Anyways, back to last night: there I was, sweating like a wildebeest after a hard workout, standing in the kitchen while quietly seething about the magazine cover, and shaking with both muscle exhaustion and fury. It was a sight to behold, I’m sure.

Just as my ragey-ness was reaching critical mass, I decided to take a Sharpie and write my rebuttals all over the magazine cover. To explain where I got this idea, for about 15 years now, my best friend Susie and I have been writing witty, funny, and occasionally caustic commentary all over magazine ads we find ridiculous (and then sending them to each other at random, because nothing perks up a crappy day like an unexpected trove of advertising snark from your bestie). So, I decided to do the same thing with the cover of this month’s SELF:

DSC00920

Let’s take a closer look, shall we?

DSC00923

First, I’m sick to death of celebrity fitness tips. CELEBS HAVE PERSONAL TRAINERS, PEOPLE. Their careers and very livelihoods depend on them looking fantastic, and they hire a boatload of people to help them stay that way. Trainers, cooks, dieticians — you name it, they’ve got it. And yet, there’s this ridiculous idea that they work out just as much as anybody else and lead otherwise normal, pedestrian lives. I call bullsh*t on this. Celebs can give us all the “secrets” they want about their fitness routines, but nobody talks about the fact that it usually involves hours of the moves they describe in the pages of these glossies. (And I don’t know about y’all, but I have neither the time nor the desire to work out for 2-3 hours per day. I tap out after an hour, and then I go do other things that benefit my health such as hanging out with Brandon, cooking dinner, reading, or writing.)

DSC00922

Next, the issue of beach bodies: I’m so. Damn. Tired. Of hearing. About. Beach. Bodies. This is where the fitness-for-aesthetics vs. the fitness-for-health issue really gains momentum: if you spend all year working out and eating well, why this emphasis on going super-uber-epic-hardcore for summer? If you can run a 5K, lift heavy things, and you’ve been known to slurp down green smoothies on a daily basis, aren’t you already in good health? Oh, but wait, that’s not what really matters, is it? What really matters, friends, is that you look good in a bathing suit.

Adding fuel to the fire is the whole “It’s June, people! No more procrastinating!” motif. Oh, you’re totally right! In addition to everything else I’m doing, I need to lose weight and get super toned, like, yesterday! Gosh, staying active and healthy throughout the year — not just for the summer — was a seriously slacker move, wasn’t it? Thanks for the reminder, y’all! I’m sure I’ll make people fall over in disgust when I roll up at the pool with my regular body; that said, I take full responsibility for the horrors that ensue as a result of my procrastination. (*Screams internally*)

DSC00924

As for the alleged “miracle foods” that “practically lose the weight for you,” this is another area where the eat to be healthy vs. eat to be skinny issue fires up. Look, eating to be skinny just plain sucks. I’ve done it more than once. It drains all the joy out of life (or at least it did for me) when you have to weigh, measure, and account for every ounce of food that passes your lips. It makes food the enemy. And, in my mind at least, foods like steel-cut oats, chia seeds, nuts, beans, Greek yogurt, and lean protein should never be the enemy.

With that in mind, why not tell people to focus on eating whole foods for their inherent health-enhancing value instead of for their metabolism-revving properties? Why not encourage people to focus on nourishing theirΒ  bodies with foods that pack a walloping dose of nutrients, instead of eating particular foods because they “practically lose the weight for you”? Oh, that’s right: because, once again, what really matters is that you look hot.

DSC00925

This one really got me. Of the seven cover features, five were weight-related. The two that weren’t were in a small font, with plain black & white text, which means that compared to the other large-font, color-blast headlines, these were the ones meant to garner the least attention. The eye is drawn towards the bigger letters with bright backgrounds, not towards the small b&w text. So, the two topics that genuinely relate to health rather than being skinny are fully intended to be afterthoughts. Awesome.

So, to say the least, I was mighty angry. It made me think of one of my favorite documentaries, Miss Representation (the trailer is below): if the media is both the message and the messenger, what do fitness magazines say to women? They say that it’s not enough to be healthy and strong – you have to look good in a bikini too.

Chances are, if you subscribe to a fitness magazine, you’re pretty active. You probably take good care of yourself, eat your veggies, and get your blood pumping at least few times a week. And yet, five out of seven — a whopping 71% — of the feature articles are about weight loss.

What, exactly, is this supposed to do for women’s self-confidence? While many of these feature pieces are published in the name of empowerment, I feel like what they really do is make women feel inadequate for their lack of a bikini body/Brazilian tuchus/washboard abs. This is not okay.

Suffice it to say, I’m now doubly committed to not renewing my subscription when it expires this summer. I’m saying no mas. I’m done with buying into a media message that makes me feel like crap and tells other women that they’re not good enough — that being athletic and healthy plays second fiddle to the holy grail of a tight, tiny, and toned bikini body.

There’s a phrase in Arabic, khalas, that roughly translates as “no more,” “it’s finished,” “I’ve had it,” or simply “enough.” As I Sharpied the daylights out of the magazine cover, I found that I was saying it over and over under my breath. Khalas. I’m finished. I’ve had enough.

45 thoughts on “No Mas: A Rant

1. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 21, 2013 / 8:37 am

BAHAHA! oh my gosh lets be friends forever. Everything on this gets a huge YES and an AMEN. Also I’d like to add that I don’t like how they chose cover photo that makes Shay Mitchell look very, i dunno, childlike? hesitant? something. (i just looked it up, she’s 26) I’m sick of seeing girls posed on covers to look meek. is it cute to be unsure of oneself? Be on the cover of Self but don’t look too strong or heaven forbid- intimidating. look cute, look toned, but not too strong. ugh im sick of it, put someone on the cover who looks like they just did a crazy workout and are proud of themselves. show me the neon red “runners face” and then maybe ill read it.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 12:04 pm

I totally thought the same thing about Shay Mitchell! She looks really uncomfortable — her head is lowered and her shoulders are all scrunched up, which looks, exactly as you said, childlike/hesitant/meek/something of that ilk. It was the first thing I noticed, actually: as soon as I looked at the cover, I was like “Wow, that’s the best photo they could come up with? The poor girl looks like someone just poured ice water down her back!”

I totally agree with the issue of girls being posed to look meek (or, alternatively, super-provocative and uber-sexy, which is its own can of worms). You nailed it: look toned and cute, but don’t go looking strong or badass — we can’t have that sort of heresy going on, now can we?

2. Emma May 21, 2013 / 9:15 am

Lil, this is awesome! I totally agree, but aside from the serious point of this post, I got a kick from your ‘Michelle Duggar understudy’ child-bearing hips. I hear ya as a fellow curvy girl! Although my childbearing hips failed me in conjunction with my child’s giant head, I still appreciate them and have no desire to be a stick insect

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 12:42 pm

Thanks, Emma! I’m glad you liked the Michelle Duggar bit, too — those birthin’ hips come in handy sometimes, but I think even Madame Duggar would’ve been hard pressed to deliver your adorable kid via anything other than a C-section. πŸ˜‰

3. Kelly May 21, 2013 / 9:17 am

Thank you for writing this post. I have been a long time subscriber of Self magazine and I have been having the same opinion lately. The magazine used to be informative and inspire/motivate me to be healthy on a daily basis. Now when I read it I find myself rolling my eyes at most of the articles. The magazine lost its way and I won’t be re-subscribing either.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 12:45 pm

Thanks, Kelly — I’m so glad I’m not the only one who’s been thinking this way about women’s fitness mags!

4. Robin May 21, 2013 / 10:14 am

oh my, so funny every time I read one of your posts I have been mulling over a similar topic. You don’t know me but we must be wired on the same plane….. I wasn’t thinking about magazines this time, but totally agree. I’m just fed up w/the negative self-image thing, because I have been really down and have no reason to be….. But as far as magazines go, they try to sell us “in 30 days!” in just “5 min a day”…get that bikini body, or whatever. Here’s the deal…I have done p90x 3 times. Chalean Extreme twice. Insanity for the last 6 months. I can do 12 pullups at a time. Lots of pushups. I’m in my 40s. But, guess what. I don’t think I’ll ever be bikini-body ready by June. It’s just because nothing happens in such a short period of time, And actually nothing happens in even a long period of time. You just become the best “you” you can be after all this hard work…and most of the time that means lumps and bumps regardless of whether you are a small size or a bigger one….there are lots of variations in body types, and most of them don’t fit perfectly in some little bikini that makes basically everything stick out in weird ways. And the other issue is that inner-confidence to wear a bikini, something else many of us will never have, regardless of size…..Anyway, I could go on for years about this…but thanks for your post…keep writing and doing what you do πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 12:46 pm

You hit the nail on the head, Robin: you can do hours upon hours of hard work in the gym, but you’ll still have lumps and bumps, even with the best possible version of you. Thanks so much for your encouraging words! πŸ™‚

5. thepaceofitall May 21, 2013 / 10:14 am

Well said! Especially the one about celebs having personal trainers – so true. Of course they look good, it’s their job to look good and they have all the resources in the world to do so.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 12:48 pm

Right?! I mean, if I didn’t have a desk job, was in possession of a bank account flush with millions in annual income, and my livelihood depended on me looking awesome, I’d absolutely have an entourage of cooks, trainers, etc.! Since I’m 0 for 3 on those, though, so I’ll stick with my at-home gym. πŸ™‚

6. Alex @ therunwithin May 21, 2013 / 10:30 am

I am beyond with you on this. truth – i haven’t bought a magazine in over two years because of this. I get so caught up in not a healthy way with all the crazy fads that pop up on the pages. one thing though recently that I am sick of is the beach bod. I don’t think I will ever and could ever have a flat stomach or tiny legs. isn’t going to happen. instead I have strong legs that let me run and a stomach that is part of my genes. it stinks because we compare ourselves to those that have their lives circled around their looks – aka they can afford expensive cleanses and trainers that work them day in and day out.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 12:59 pm

It’s awesome that you haven’t bought a fitness mag in over 2 years — I’m about to join you in that boat, and I agree that it’s a much healthier and happier way to be.

7. megbek May 21, 2013 / 10:36 am

Okay, where to begin here… First I love you tons for revealing my dinner last night! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Owe you, girl! Second, I couldn’t agree more about everything you said and I can’t even organize a proper response. haha. So lame. Um, but the way you rebutted everything on that cover was perfect. I am SO SO sick of reading about beach body tips and tricks and BS. Sorry, but you can’t get a ‘that body you want’ ONE week before you go to the beach or whatever. It takes so much time of hard work, dedication and love to get the body you want. It’s a year round task – one that is the best task in life, if you ask me. Another point that hit home – famous people. DUH they all have personal trainers, and duh they all have nutritionist, chefs, the whole shebang. Of course they’re going to be in tip top shape (I’m basically repeating your retort here!). But seriously, I’m really glad you’re unsubscribed to this JUNK magazine, which is one of many in the arena. YUCK! Such bad messaging in these magazines and it teaches people that you don’t have to work hard year round – that you, too, can have the body you want in ONE week. Ugh. No wonder so many people in today’s world struggle with a healthy balance. Sheesh. Loved this today, beautiful. πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:00 pm

Right?! One week to lose a ton of weight is insanely unhealthy, and, like you said, it takes a ton of hard work over a long period of time. Personally, I’d rather just stay active, eat well, and not stress about having the perfect beach bod when summer rolls around. There’s more to life than looking hot in a bikini!

8. livliveslife May 21, 2013 / 10:48 am

Ok, first of all, you’re awesome. Thank you for bringing this topic up. I guess I never really thought about magazines in that way, but you’re right. They’re more likely to harp on being skinny than they are on getting in shape and being healthy. I’m right there with you…I work out at least five times a week and eat healthily, but still have those curves that others would definitely not consider “skinny”. But chances are, I’m 10x healthier than a “magazine worthy” skinny girl.
    The miracle foods is another thing that gets me. I’ve had to stop watching shows like Dr. Oz because of this. It all just drives me nuts. You’re absolutely right – eating clean, whole foods is the way to go. Anything that isn’t man made is a miracle food in my book.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:16 pm

Thanks, Liv! You’re totally right that you’re likely to be 10x healthier than a “magazine worthy” skinny girl, even when it comes to fitness mags (fashion mags are a whole different matter, and the same principle applies x100 in that context).

You’re totally right about so-called “miracle foods,” too — the hype surrounding them is just absurd, and I daresay it’s inaccurate too. Just eat whole foods, and you’ll be much healthier for that move alone!

9. Dana May 21, 2013 / 3:13 pm

110% Concur!! This was perfect. Adorable blog. πŸ™‚

10. musingsoftheamusingmuse May 21, 2013 / 4:32 pm

You know… you are so very correct. I hadn’t really LOOKED at the covers of the magazines that I get, Shape and Women’s Health, but just looking at the cover of the May issue of shape there are five articles about losing weight, one about skin (“Sexy Summer Skin” to be exact) and one on lessening stress.

I just got an issue of InStyle magazine that threatened it was my second to last issue and I found myself looking at the last few issues thinking, “I would never pay $800 for a dress…. or $1600 for shoes….” Apparently I’m not high-brow enough.

I work out 5-7 days a week. I drink smoothies. I think of food as fuel (usually… if it’s not fuel, it’s the enemy). I try to eat right 80% of the time (outside of cocktails). I have curves and damned if I don’t sweat like a wildebeest too when I work out.

Where ARE the articles about being strong and healthy? Not skinny. Not thin. Not Beach Body. But Strong and Healthy.

You, Ma’am, are onto something here!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:19 pm

Many thanks! πŸ™‚ You raise a perfect example of what I’m talking about: you’re obviously healthy, you work out a ton, you eat healthy foods (and ain’t nothin’ wrong with a cocktail), and you’re curvy — clean eating and exercise aren’t meant to make stick figures out of people, they’re meant to make them healthy. And that, ma’am, is exactly what you’re doing! πŸ™‚

11. Mariette May 21, 2013 / 6:48 pm

1st) I agree!!!!! I get fed up with the constant “Lose Weight Now”, “7 Day to a Beach Body”, #1 you have no idea where I’m starting, #2 why are they constantly throwing ‘lose weight’ articles at me? Maybe I just want to get in better shape? I think we can agree, these titles sell the magazine, but it’s just ridiculous. They set unrealistic expectations; No after 10 days I will not look like Jessica Biel, quit setting my expectations so high!! Those results require a LOT of commitment, time, hard work, and some level of genetic disposition.

I read Women’s Health (but I don’t think I’ll be renewing) and Oxygen Fitness. Oxygen is a lot more about health, but some of their titles are almost just as bad; but I do find that the workouts are a LOT more likely to produce actual strength results. The stick in the Self magazine moving around a 5lb-er isn’t doing anything.

2nd) tuchus lol I’ve never heard this term before. Love it.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:25 pm

YES to the twiggy women in SELF who weild 5 pound Barbie weights — I have no desire to do that. I want to be strong, thankyouverymuch, not lift dainty little things that make me look like a delicate flower.

And I’m glad you like the term tuchus — it’s a Yiddish phrase, and since my Dad grew up outside NYC, Yiddish has always been part of our family vocab. (This despite being not the least bit Jewish. Oy vey!) πŸ˜‰

12. liveandbeawesome May 21, 2013 / 7:42 pm

And this is why I don’t ever buy magazines. I have nothing to add other than I agree with you 100%. It’s disgusting and makes me rage and just adds fuel to fire in our weight-obsessed society.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:27 pm

You’ve definitely got the right idea in never buying magazines! From now on, my mags will be things like the HGTV magazine — y’know, things that don’t fuel bad body image and weight obsession. πŸ™‚

13. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama May 21, 2013 / 9:48 pm

Awesome post & righteous rant! 100% agree! I NEVER want my girls to buy into this B.S. or feel bad about their bodies or themselves. Life is short – the focus should be on healthy & happiness – not some unattainable, unrealistic standard! Thanks for a great post!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:28 pm

Thanks so much, Nicole! I agree that life is too short — and our time and energy are too precious — to be spent on attaining unrealistic and unhealthy standards. Your girls are lucky to have you as their mama!

14. aftertheivyleague May 21, 2013 / 10:02 pm

I LOVE THIS POST. I feel the EXACT same way when I read magazines these days. And it’s not even just the “healthy” genre, it’s all over my Cosmo too. I’m thankful that when I read an article geared towards burning calories and eating less and yada yada, I take it with a grain of salt and have finally gotten over the self-obsessed must-lose-3-pounds way of life. But it’s still SO frustrating to read. Why can’t they talk about just plain ol’ being healthy? Instead of chewing gum to prevent yourself from eating for another 45 minutes? (<–read that gem in Fitness).

And and YES. All celebrities–it's their freaking job to look good. So of course they train and diet like crazy. Is it your job to look good? Probably not. Just live your life and be happy. Ugh. So annoying!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:33 pm

Whaaaaaaaaat? Chew gum for 45 minutes to keep from eating? Holy crap, that’s ridiculous. Way to promote deprivation, Fitness! (*Shakes fist with one hand, gives a superbly indignant thumbs-down with the other hand*) That’s absurd. And infuriating. WTF?!

The fact that something like that could even make it through the editorial process is appalling. I mean, I know dieting is a lucrative industry, but UGH.

15. jessielovestorun May 21, 2013 / 11:26 pm

AMEN TO THIS WHOLE FREAKING POST!! Every time I see magazines w/ saying something similar to “Your beach body in 7 days” I just can’t help but want to scream! I mean really, isn’t living healthy based on bio-individuality?! How do they know that their workout or meal plan will benefit everyone? They dont!!! GRRR

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:34 pm

Amen to bio-individuality! That, I think, is one of IIN’s best teachings. It’s totally true! πŸ™‚

16. Meredith May 22, 2013 / 12:05 am

So well written, honestly I loved reading this! I haven’t read a fitness magazine since I moved to Australia (at first it was because they cost double the money here) but then I realized even just reading the cover made me feel like complete crap every time. And I never saved them or anything, so really it was always a waste of money and emotionally draining. I’d much rather spend money on something like cooking light magazine, where I actually enjoy reading/saving the recipes!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:35 pm

A waste of money and emotionally draining is the perfect way to describe it, Meredith — you’re absolutely right. There’s no value to the content (nothing I wind up saving, anyways), and it only makes me feel like crap. Good for you for switching to CL — I love their recipes!

17. Melissa May 22, 2013 / 2:06 am

First off, please rant more often so we can rage together. I constantly feel bombarded by the media – WHERE ARE MY ABS?! They must show since it’s beach time right? Pinterest is also horrible when it comes to body image. I hate some of those photos that make the rounds on there.

And good lord, I have wide hips too. Birthin hips, if you will. And that’s not going to change no matter how many “miracle foods” or special exercises I do. Not to mention that I’m somehow supposed to shrink my hips and waist while engorging my boobs (never gonna happen). Why do we let these unrealistic expectations crush us? It’s suffocating, and it’s still something I find myself fighting on a regular basis. But you’re right – it needs to be about strong, about healthy, about what your body can do, not about how thin we are compared to our friends, coworkers, and fellow shoppers.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:42 pm

LOL — yes, let’s rage together more often! I approve of this plan! πŸ™‚

I totally agree that Pinterest is like a vortex of really unhealthy thinspo stuff. It pisses me off SO MUCH whenever I see something about “no excuses until you get your dream body,” which is just a soul-sucking, joyless way to live. Blergh.

I also completely agree on the issue of being crushed by unrealistic, unhealthy expectations. I feel like these expectations are everywhere: Victoria’s Secret catalogs, fitness mags, regular women’s mags, commercials, TV shows, etc. (Miss Representation does a great job of breaking down and highlighting some of this stuff, as does America the Beautiful) — the list goes on, and it’s pervasive. It’s amazing how much it can have a negative impact on women who are otherwise self-assured, smart, and incredibly capable.

18. Little Miss Fit May 22, 2013 / 8:00 am

I absolutely LOVE this post!! Every single thing about it! Good for you in saying this all and speaking to the truth and heart of the matter. Kudos to you! πŸ™‚

19. The Siren's Tale May 22, 2013 / 10:40 am

Endless amazing points in this post. Immediately when I saw the cover picture, I thought “foods that lose the weight for you?!?!” I honestly feel these magazines just focus on being skinny, beautiful, and stylish a lot of the time. They don’t talk much about healthy lifestyles for the body and mind. They don’t talk about people’s natural body structures that may prohibit them from every being “skinny” (and honestly, is that the point?!). Annnnd like you pointed out – the celebrities on the covers? Enough is enough! If I had someone to spend all day with me, telling me what to eat, when to eat, what to drink, how to work out, all while my hair, makeup, and outfits were all being completed for me — sure I’d be thin as a rail and gorgeous all the time! There’s needs to be a magazine for real women about real bodies, real fitness, and what a real healthy lifestyle is!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:44 pm

YES! A magazine for real women would be a more than welcome — and very much overdue — change. A friend of mine talked with the women who are launching Verily Magazine next month, and I think it has a lot of potential to fill that niche. Fingers are crossed!

20. Jorie May 22, 2013 / 10:54 am

You get the standing O today, Lillian! Awesome dissection of the magazine cover. It’s obnoxious how these magazines are all about thinness and ONLY thinness. And we wonder why this country has such unrealistic beauty expectations…

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 22, 2013 / 1:45 pm

Thanks, Jorie! I totally agree that these magazines feed into — and stand to gain a lot from — the skinniness obsession. It’s their bread and butter, so they perpetuate it to no end. Of course, this comes at the expense of real women and women’s self-confidence, and that’s not okay!

21. fortheintolerants May 22, 2013 / 5:33 pm

“Maybe I’m wrong here, but I suspect I’m not the only one in this boat.” Nope, you’re not, and not by a long shot. It’s absolutely ridiculous how these magazines bang on about the same crap month in and month out (if you look at 85% of the magazines in the women’s section there’s a lot of recycled bla bla) and they don’t really give us any new information while – subconsciously – telling us that we’re freaks or lost causes because we don’t have time to work out for 3 hours a day, much less a personal trainer. I’d be far more interested in learning how to increase my cardio-output and overall endurance. Tell me how I can prepare kale in a way that will have me drooling long after I’ve finished my meal. What about including eco-friendly cosmetics/natural products that can be used in lieu of expensive creams? Or sharing fashion tips for items that will actually fit my flawed amazonian frame and won’t require the bank account of some A-list celebrity to procure.

*slow clap* ….for this whole post. Awesomeness.

22. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 23, 2013 / 9:07 am

I clicked over from After the Ivy League, and I’m so happy Meghan mentioned this post – it’s brilliant! It does frustrate me to see the attention that those sorts of magazines give to weight loss. If you subscribe to an exercise magazine, chances are, you eat at least a fairly healthy diet and work out. So why is the idea of weight loss pushed so hard? It’s ridiculous, and I admire your commitment to stop subscribing!

23. Chelsea Eats Treats May 23, 2013 / 6:08 pm

I clicked over the After the Ivy League too!! What a great article. You are totally right!!!

24. Pingback: Seize the Latte