TGIF: A Veritable Hootenanny of Random Awesomeness

Happy Friday, y’all! (And, um, did you like the use of “hootenanny” in the title? I wanted to use something more entertaining than “compilation,” and that’s what popped into my head. I’m nothing if not weird, folks.)

I apologize for being late with this morning’s post — I’m taking a sick day due to, ahem, some rather hardcore lady-troubles. (Sorry for the TMI.) I decided that instead of trying to force myself to be productive at work (and probably doing a really sorry job of it), it’d be better to ride out the pain by lying on the couch and communing with my heat pack and a bottle of Tylenol. Sooooooo, here I am.

But anyways, on to happier topics! Yesterday at work I started an email chain wherein we all wrote in haiku format, which might have been the best work-related email thread ever. (It also goes down in the Annals of My Greatest Accomplishments, which include such acts as quoting Team America: World Police in an international law paper that I wrote in grad school.) With that in mind, here’s a haiku summing up how I feel about the upcoming 3-day weekend:

Times ten for the long weekend
I need this like woah

Obviously, I have a lucrative career as a farcical haiku author ahead of me.

Seriously, though, I’m desperately in need of a 3-day weekend. I reeeeeaaaallly hope that the aforementioned lady-troubles abate so that I can, y’know, actually enjoy the holiday.

In the meantime, though, and in the spirit of celebrating the long weekend, here’s a random compilation of awesome things that happened this week:

1) On Tuesday afternoon I went for an awesome run around the National Mall with the help of my beloved and trusty Charity Miles app. I donated my miles to Every Mother Counts, and listened to Florence + The Machine’s Shake It Out on repeat while I ran. There’s something strangely spiritual about these runs on the Mall — the trees and the monuments all make it feel like sacred space to me. While running by the World War II Memorial, I decided to get a picture of the portion memorializing my beloved home state. Not that I’m counting down or anything, but in two months I’ll be here:

WWII Memorial Colorado

2) While walking home from the bus stop the other day, I suddenly got a whiff of honeysuckle and immediately felt giddy. I love this stuff — it smells so effing good — and the first time I encountered honeysuckle as a child is one of my more vivid childhood memories. My dad and I were coming home after a bike ride (and by “bike ride,” I mean that I sat strapped into a seat in the back while he did all the hard work) when we passed a bunch of honeysuckle.Β  I asked what smelled so good, and he stopped the bike so I could basically bury my face in it. To say the least, I get really happy when I encounter this stuff, and I haven’t seen much of in the concrete jungle of the DC Metro area. So, as you can imagine, this was an awesome surprise!

Honeysuckle

3) After all the Crock Pot flops, we had a serious winner of a meal last night: chicken saltimbocca. This stuff is divine, y’all. Chicken breasts wrapped in Prosciutto and sage leaves, then sauteed in lemon juice and olive oil? Freakin’ awesome. The dish lived up to all my hopes, and I was seriously happy about it. I know the picture doesn’t look too appetizing (gravy/sauce has a way of doing that), but I promise: it was gooooo-oood.

DSC00935

Anyways, I hope everyone has a fabulous long weekend!

Do you have any big plans for the holiday?

What’s your favorite place to go running?

Do you have any happy childhood memories that pop up whenever you see/smell something?

17 thoughts on “TGIF: A Veritable Hootenanny of Random Awesomeness

1. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 24, 2013 / 10:35 am

That chicken saltimbocca looks incredibocca. i had to miss a dinner earlier this week because of lady troubles, and i once confused one absurdly bad month with the black plague, so i TOTALLY get it. Feel better!! I love your haiku, i wish you worked in my office to start some awesome email chains. and that tuesday run sounds like such a great event! feel better soon and enjoy your weekend chica!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 11:02 am

Bhahahahahahahaha! “Confused an absurdly bad month with the black plague” made me laugh so hard I spit my coffee out. It’s true! I’ve told Brandon, oh, at least 100 times this weekend that I’m almost certainly dying. πŸ˜‰

2. thepaceofitall May 24, 2013 / 10:57 am

Lol love the word hootenanny, I need to use it more often! And that chicken looks delicious. Ok, do I know what honeysuckle smells like? I’m not sure. I love gardenias though, they’re in bloom these days and I love catching a whiff of them when I’m outside.

Feel better! Love your haiku, it’s awesome. like whoa. πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 11:01 am

Gardenias are amazing! I love that Houston has so much green space where things can, y’know, actually grow. (DC is mile after mile of concrete. Bureaucratic chic?)

3. cjoye7 May 24, 2013 / 10:57 am

I nearly spit out my coffee laughing so hard at the email chain of haikus. Absolutely fantastic! And I would LOVE to read the int’l law paper in which you quote Team America. πŸ˜‰ By the way, watched The Dictator last night and thought of you!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:59 am

“You are having a boy…or an abortion?” Seriously, I love Sacha Baron Cohen. He’s freakin’ awesome. πŸ˜‰

4. Alex @ therunwithin May 24, 2013 / 11:41 am

I bet you are ready for this three day weekend, you deserve it. Hope the weather will hold up for you out there. I know here it is rain rain rain And girl problems blow, heat pack it up

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:58 am

Heat packs are my saving grace! I’ve basically commandeered ours, and poor Brandon has learned that he shouldn’t even attempt to pry it away from me.

5. chasingchels May 24, 2013 / 12:48 pm

Omg honeysuckle is one of my favs! It always reminds me of my family’s special beach in long island…honey suckle lined the dunes and made the whole place smell heavenly πŸ™‚ we are having massive amounts of people over on sunday for a bbq and i’m freaking out already…good thing i have a long run tomorrow to help shake that out πŸ˜› i hope you feel better love! Happy three day weekend πŸ™‚

6. liveandbeawesome May 24, 2013 / 1:13 pm

Along the TMI thread, I would almost welcome lady troubles! My periods have been super irregular these last few months, and my “periods” are extremely light when they do come. It’s starting to freak me out.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:57 am

Girl, I can soooooo relate. Aunt Flo was AWOL for all of April, and now has decided to reappear with a vengeance…twice over the course of three weeks. Imagine me flipping the bird to my entire reproductive system. :-/

7. Taryn May 24, 2013 / 5:16 pm

I’ve never thought of just playing a song on repeat while running, but I love it. I feel like that would be much more motivating for me – I usually end up having to skip songs on my playlist and it keeps me from having a good workout. Happy Friday! Happy long weekend!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:54 am

That’s what I found, too — even on my workout playlist, there are times when I don’t feel like listening to 95% of what’s on there. When something strikes a chord with me (pun intended), I put it on repeat and roll with it. πŸ™‚

Hope your long weekend is going swimmingly!

8. Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now May 24, 2013 / 6:39 pm

I’m going to a baby shower and also planning to do some running πŸ™‚

I love to run around Grubb Lake; it is hilly but really super pretty

Whenever I see Bugles (the chip things) I think of swim lessons; I always got to pick out a snack after that πŸ™‚ I always chose bugles or swedish fish

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:28 am

Ooooh, Bugles were delicious. I used to stick them on my finger tips and terrorize my brother — I hope that doesn’t make me a horrible sister, but oh well. πŸ™‚

Hope your trail running was gorgeous — those are the best!

9. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama May 24, 2013 / 8:54 pm

We’re in Hotlanta this weekend visiting family and looking forward to lots of pool time! My crazy 1 y/o managed to scrape her chin on the side of the baby pool within 5 minutes of arriving today. She’s a tough cookie, and she’s going to look like a prize fighter in all of the family pics!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:27 am

Oy vey! Those pics will be awesome — it’ fantastic that she’s a tough cookie, because Lord knows we need more kids like that. πŸ˜‰ Hope you guys are having lots of fun and pool time in Hotlanta!