Article Round-Up: May 19-25

Y’all. I slept in until 9:45. Considering that I’m usually up and at ’em around 7 on weekends, this is unheard of!

It’s amazing what a good night’s sleep can do. Now that I’m comfortably settled into my 30s (and thus no longer trying to be cool by going out and partying on the weekends), I find that I get really excited about the idea of going to sleep. There have been many, many times when I find myself thinking — usually sometime around 7 p.m. — “Man, I can’t wait to go to bed. Sleeping is going to be awesome.”

Sho ’nuff, it is. Sleeping FTW.

Anyways, all that is meant to explain why I’m late in posting this — but hey, better late than never, right?

I hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend, and that some R&R is in everybody’s future. Happy reading!

Health & Fitness:

NYT: For a Better Smoothie, Just Add Chia Seed

Time: Mediterranean Diet Better Than Low-Fat Diet in Keeping Aging Brains Sharp

NPR: Fifteen Years After Vaccine Scare, a Measles Epidemic

Guardian: Walking Works – So Why Are We So Sedentary?

Huff Po: Breakfast Around the World – Healthy Ideas from Abroad

Stress Relief, Happiness, & Life Management:

Psychology Today: Find Your Passion, Find Your Strengths

Blisstree: Morning Time-Savers: Get Ready for Work Post-Gym in 15 Minutes or Less

Greatist: 10 Unexpected Ways to Meditate Every Day

Mind, Body, Green: 10 Fun Ways to Reduce Your Cortisol Levels

Huff Po: Happiness Tips – 9 Simple Steps to Joy

Gender Issues:

Atlantic: Towards a More Expansive Definition of ‘Princess’

Huff Po: Honoring America’s Women in the Military

Slate: Meteor Employee Shoots Bulls-Eye Against Sexism, With Help from the Hawkeye Initiative

Atlantic: You Don’t Have to Have Kids to Be a Great Mother

Humor & Warm Fuzzies:

Huff Po: Dogs and Babies Sleeping Are What The World Needs Now

Huff Po: This Memorial Day, a Simple Act of Kindness

Buzzfeed: 25 Signs You’re Addicted to Reading

Buzzfeed: One Team Has Perfected the Post-Game Photobomb (*this one made me laugh so hard I cried)

6 thoughts on “Article Round-Up: May 19-25

1. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama May 25, 2013 / 2:30 pm

Yes, sleep is AWESOME…and in short supply in our house. My little one has decided that 6 a.m. is the perfect time to start the day. Ugh. The Post-Game Photobomb is da bomb!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:25 am

I hear that — every parent I know laments their kids’ insane circadian rhythm! ๐Ÿ™‚

And the post-game photobombs made me LMAO. Those guys are hysterical!

2. jessielovestorun May 25, 2013 / 11:32 pm

Damn (pardon my language please).. Japan don’t kid around at breakfast! I’ve heard about the soup for breakfast, and I’m just not quite sure I could ever hop on that wagon. doesn’t sound too appealing to me.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:24 am

I feel the same way — soup for breakfast just…doesn’t work for me. Soupy oatmeal? Mos def. But legit soup? Not so much.

3. thepaceofitall May 26, 2013 / 11:26 am

I am a huge fan of sleep… especially on Friday nights, after a full week of work. I think my mother is concerned that I should be going out instead but.. sleep. Mmmm. ๐Ÿ™‚ Great list, will check some of these articles out!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013 / 10:23 am

LOL – my dad used to say the same thing. When I’d talk to him on Saturday afternoons, he’d be all “So I assume you’re going out partying tonight,” to which I’d then explain that, no, I was going to go out for Indian food with a friend and then retire early with a book. Then my own father would tell me I’m lame. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Oh well — anything in the name of rest!