Currently Survey

Good morning, everyone!

Yesterday I saw a post by Tina over at Carrots n’ Cake called the Currently Survey, and I thought it looked like fun — which, considering that most of us are headed back to work after the long weekend, seemed like something we’d all need.

Feel free to play along in the comments, or to do your own post on this — I love hearing about the little things going on in your lives!

Current Book: Ok, so I’ve always wanted to be one of those super-disciplined people who only reads one book at a time. I’ve tried to do it (and when I do, I always feel all accomplished and like I might actually have my ducks in a row), but then I get all excited about 10 different books all at the same time and I just. Can’t. Help. Myself.

At some point last year, I finally reached the conclusion that I needed to stop fighting my exuberant love of reading; I mean, it’s a leisure activity, so I don’t need to approach it in the same way that I approach actual tasks. For me, a good book is not something to be crossed off a “to do” list.

Since then, I’ve almost always had more than one book going at one time. Right now, I’m working my way through three awesome tomes:  I Thought it Was Just Me (But it Isn’t): Making The Journey from “What Will People Think?” to “I Am Enough,” by  Brene Brown, The Firestarter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte, and Keeping Hope Alive by Hawa Abdi.

Let’s just pretend that the bajillion books on my nightstand are similarly organized and pretty-looking, m’kay?

Current Music: I also have reeeeaaaallly eclectic taste in music – so, my current tunage involves both Florence + The Machine and country music. I’m slightly worried that iTunes might think I’m a schizophrenic.

Current Food: At the moment? Toast and coffee. However, last night when I started writing this, I’d just stuffed my face with kabobs since our dinner consisted of chicken shwarma kabobs with brown rice pilaf and grilled Halloumi cheese. I fell in love with Halloumi when I was in Israel, and I’ve made a convert out of Brandon too. That stuff is the bomb diggity.

Image source: paintedpeach.blogspot.com

Current Favorite Show:  In my perpetual search for gym entertainment, I just got hooked on Scandal – and wow. I thought it was going to be campy, but holy crap y’all: it’s really effin’ good. Also, I find that I keep pining after Olivia Pope’s collection of gorgeous trench coats. (Is that weird? Yes? Oh well.) I’m also waiting with baited breath for True Blood to return; Brandon and I got hooked on that show three years ago, and we loooooove it.

Current Wishlist: Bluetooth headphones, the aforementioned Olivia Pope-inspired collection of outerwear, a new mattress that doesn’t make my back hurt, a new desk, and probably a gazillion other things that I’m just not thinking of right now.

Current Indulgence: Massages and pedicures. I tend to carry all my tension in my shoulders, so my monthly massages are a Godsend for my angry muscles. As for pedicures, I feel unkempt and just generally gross if my feet aren’t well tended to. It’s weird, I know, but my feetses need love!

Current Guilty Pleasure: A few weeks ago I read an article in which the author made an awesomely compelling case against guilty pleasures. (Of course, now I can’t find the article – damn you, Interwebz!) Basically, the idea that we should feel guilty about things that are enjoyable – be it chocolate, anything Kardashian-related, or sleeping late – is a load of crap.

So what if our musical/entertainment/literary tastes aren’t high-brow and uber-intellectual? (Case in point: I know Twilight is the thing that everyone loves to hate, but I read the books in less than one week. They were like literary crack to me.) So what if we looooove carbs and feel ambivalent about kale? We should feel guilty about things that hurt people, not about things that make us happy.

So, with that, my current so-called guilty pleasures about which I have no guilt include Us Weekly, three kinds of fro yo in the freezer, and Britney on my iPod. And, for added measure, I’d be lying if I said that I’m not mildly preoccupied with Prince William and Kate Middleton. I totally had a teenage crush on Wills, and the fact that a handful of friends found parallels between our engagement story and theirs was seriously amusing. Add that to the fact that our wedding was exactly three months after theirs, and I found myself relating to them from afar. I was wigged out like woah about having everyone stare at me while walking down the aisle at our wedding, and I kept reminding myself that if Kate Middleton could make it down the aisle of Westminster Abbey without freaking out, then I could make it down the aisle of our favorite church. There are worse things to be fascinated by than the next generation of British royalty, right?

Current Outfit: Pajamas. Boom.

Current Excitement: Hmmmm. Among the small things? Our dinner menu for the week (the aforementioned kabobs, chicken marsala, breaded Italian chicken, and Thai beef stir fry with GF peanut sauce), and the fact that it’s a 4-day workweek. The big things? Our summer vacay plans, which include a trip to my beloved Colorado. I haven’t been home in about 18 months, and I can’t freaking wait to set foot in the Motherland.

Image source: fivetdsisters.blogspot.com

Anyways, with all that being said, I’d love to hear about your current goings-on — and in the meantime, I hope everyone has an awesome day!

What’s your…

Current book?

Current fave TV show?

Current food?

Current wish list?

Current indulgence?

36 thoughts on “Currently Survey

1. musingsoftheamusingmuse May 28, 2013 / 7:16 am

Ooo! It looks like I get to be the first to respond!!

Book(s): The Complete Grimms’ Fairy Tales, “Ulysses” by James Joyce and “A Lake Where Spirits Live” by Kenneth I. Lange

Fav TV: The Daily Show, The Colbert Report and Chelsea Lately

Food: coffee followed soon by eggs.

Wish List: Nice clothes for the office

Indulgence: time for myself and not feeling guilty about it.

Have a great day!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:44 am

I LOOOOOOOVE Daily Show and Colbert Report. I kind of wish they’d run a on a Presidential ticket, because I think they’d be the best Prez/Veep combination ever.

• musingsoftheamusingmuse May 29, 2013 / 10:10 pm

LOL Could you imagine!? Okay, I think you just did… nevermind! 😛

2. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 28, 2013 / 8:14 am

ahh I want to touch upon so much of this- 1. LOVE scandal. i love olivia pope i love fitz, i love their drama, i love it all so much. 2. i’m so obsessed with kate and wills. i think everything she does is absolutely lovely. 3. if it was socially acceptable to get pedicures every day, i would. i love them. i try to ease up in the winter and go every other week but in the summer it’s an every week type of deal. and lastly 4. you’re SO right- we should feel guilty about hurting other people, not about enjoying something low brow. well said.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:43 am

Amen to all of this! Kate is, just as you said, absolutely lovely. And OMG, I’d SO be on board with daily pedis if it were socially/financially acceptable. Alas, I have to stick with my every-six-weeks plan…I really should start buying Powerball tickets, though. 😉

3. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mamaco May 28, 2013 / 10:51 am

100% agree with you on Twilight! Definitely literary crack – I read the entire series in less than a week too! Right now I’m trying to get into ‘Lean In’ but haven’t gotten very far. The last great book I read was ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ by John Green. It’s an EXCELLENT read. And YES, massages are the best! I really need to indulge in them more often.

4. chasingchels May 28, 2013 / 11:05 am

Um totally agree with your love of Olivia Pope’s wardrobe…I love her and that show and wish I could dress like her, too. Moving on to your questions: current book= The Borgias by G.J. Meyer (told you I was becoming slightly obsessed), current fav tv show= tie between Shameless and The Borgias (I ❤ Showtime apparently), current food= gum, current wishlist= a garmin and a massage, current indulgence= hanging out on the couch all morning, watching tv and reading blogs…I ❤ vacation 🙂

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:38 am

Yay for vacation and a much-deserved rest! 🙂

The Borgias sounds awesome, too — I love historical shows like that. I’m adding it to my watch list!

5. megbek May 28, 2013 / 1:02 pm

iTunes is too smart and it probably is judging your diverse love of music. ridiculousness, iTunes is. 🙂 I need to get on board this show too, everyone is yammering on about it and I’m totally out of the loop. Ugh. I’m addicted to Parks and Recreation, How I Met your Mother and any other non mentally stimulating TV show. 🙂 I don’t need much to be entertained. Ha! Yay for a trip to CO coming up, so jealous. I wish I could travel there. My current wish list is all running involved – new shoes and a CamelBak backpack for long runs in the summer. Better start saving up, huh? Vacation drained my funds this weekend… sooo.. 🙂 Have a fab day!!

6. Jorie May 28, 2013 / 1:07 pm

I love the idea of saying “screw it” to guilty pleasures! I find myself usually justifying some of the low-brow shows I watch (Helloooo The Bachelor and Pretty Little Liars) by describing them as guilty pleasures. It’s like that John Lennon quote that I’m about to butcher the crap out of: “Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted.”

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:36 am

Amen, Jorie! I love the John Lennon quote, butchered or not (as a fellow quote-butcherer, I totally get this). What he said is totally true: we tend to think of down time/rest/time spent doing fun things as time wasted, and…well, let’s just say that I beg to differ. 😉

7. Alex @ therunwithin May 28, 2013 / 3:15 pm

I love Florence and the Machines currently, I knew we would get along quite well!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:34 am

LOL — amen, sister soultrain! At some point, you’re going to need to come to Arlington for some fro yo and GF food! 🙂

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:33 am

Thank you for suggesting this, Lisa — I looked it up on Netflix, and it looks awesome! I added it to my watch list, and it sounds fantastic!

8. Taryn May 28, 2013 / 4:20 pm

OMG, Scandal. So so good. And I actually LOVE Olivia’s coats in every episode too. I would never have a need for a coat like that in SC, but if/when I ever move, I will be looking to her for inspiration, for sure. Oh, and I love the guilty pleasures article (the idea of it, I should say). I feel like so many of my interests are considered “guilty pleasures” even though I’m not ashamed of them haha.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:32 am

Right? I found myself scoping out all her coats and thinking about next winter. (And, considering how much I loathe winter, this is a pretty big deal.)

As for “guilty” pleasures, I can totally relate — most of the things I love fall into that category, but I just can’t bring myself to feel guilty about them!

9. Sarah @ My (Mostly) Healthy Life May 28, 2013 / 4:46 pm

I’m totally addicted to Scandal as well!! Everything Olivia wears I want hanging in my closet immediately. I also think your books look great, and that I had a nightstand to stack my books on as well. xo

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:31 am

Right? Olivia Pope has the best TV wardrobe ever. I love that they make her look both professional and fashionable (which is a serious feat here in DC)!

10. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 28, 2013 / 7:31 pm

I’m 100% certain the iTunes thinks I’m schizophrenic as well. My taste in music is ALL over the place. Today my workout playlist was a little bit Britney, a little more Billy Joel, and a lot Bon Jovi. Oh, and don’t even get me started on my new obsession with Zydeco. Totally out of left field. It’s so catchy, though! That, and the fact that I’ve always kind of wanted to be from New Orleans.

Love love LOVE halloumi cheese! It’s been awhile, but man, that stuff is addicting. It’s really good with a drizzle of honey on top. Speaking of…my current food obsession is goat cheese with honey. Omg. I’ve been eating it with everything—eggs, salads, chicken….That cheese does no wrong.

This line is pretty fantastic: “We should feel guilty about things that hurt people, not about things that make us happy.” AMEN.

Hope the transition back to work today wasn’t too rough. Huge hugs! ❤ xoxo

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:29 am

Dude, it’s awesome that your musical tastes now include Zydeco — my little brother loved it when he was in elementary school (I think they did a unit on it in his class), and it’s awesome sauce.

Speaking of awesome, putting honey on halloumi sounds freaking brilliant. I’d never thought to do that, but the sweet and salty combination would be to die for. Must try this, stat! 🙂

11. Change of Pace May 28, 2013 / 9:53 pm

Love these to learn more about people!
    Just today my music choices were Florence and country. Definitely a weird combo, but they were both doing it for me!
    Your indulgences sound fabulous. I also carry most of my stress in my shoulders and regular massages do wonders!
    Where in Colorado are you from? My hubby and I would love to live there!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:27 am

Hooray for Florence and country music in the same day! It’s eclectic, but hey, I agree that it totally works. 🙂

I’m originally from Colorado Springs, and I went to grad school in Denver — but we have a lot of family in Loveland/Ft. Collins, so that feels like home to me as well. If you get a chance to relocate out there, it’s an awesome place to live!

12. Mariette May 28, 2013 / 10:46 pm

Well!

Current Book: I am making myself read Wuthering Heights with limited success (I just can’t get into it!)

Current TV show: We are VERY quickly catching up on Game of Thrones… Blew threw season 1, onto season 2 already. The dragon queen is my absolute fave!

Current Wish List: Well I recently got to knock one off the list & I am coming to you live from my first Mac and I could NOT be more excited about it!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:25 am

Omigod, congrats on the new computer! That’s a huuuuge deal — how are you liking your Mac so far? (I’m thinking about going that route when the time eventually comes to replace my computer, so I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.)

As for Game of Thrones, the dragon queen is my absolute favorite too. She’s whip-smart, an awesome leader, and just plain badass.

• Mariette May 29, 2013 / 7:13 pm

So far I am in LOVE! Still getting use to it, but I haven’t encountered a question Google couldn’t answer. It’s crazy fast compared to my old PC, so it’s already a win. I’ve wanted one for ages, but I was just waiting for my old HP to bite the dust.

13. thepaceofitall May 28, 2013 / 10:48 pm

Get bluetooth headphones, they will change your life! or they did mine anyway. I have the first episode of Scandal ready on my iPhone for my next run, I keep hearing good things. I can only read 1 book at a time because my brain can’t handle multiple storylines lol. I want some trench coats now btw!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:02 am

I had no idea they even existed until I saw your blog post about them — so I have you to thank for this! 🙂

And if my experience is any indication, you’ll LOVE Scandal. It’s smartly written, and there are more plot twists and turns than I’d anticipated. They keep you guessing, and it’s an awesome show!

14. jessielovestorun May 29, 2013 / 12:05 am

Scandal is by far my favorite show. Wait until you get to the last season and watch the finale. So good!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 7:01 am

Oh God, it sounds awesome! I’m only on season 1 episode 4, but I love it. I’m sure I’ll be glued to the season finale! (*Aliens invade, world ends, and I’m oblivious to it all*)

15. Meredith May 29, 2013 / 12:33 am

Love these currently posts, thanks for sharing 🙂 my current book at the moment: my anatomy textbook, unfortunately!
    Current TV show: house rules and real housewives of the OC
    Current food: overnight oats!
    Current wish list-too many clothes to list 🙂
    Current indulgence: chocolate chip cookie bars

Ps I am right there with you with us weekly, fro-yo, and Britney on my playlists..no guilt!! 🙂

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 6:59 am

Aw, the anatomy textbook is no fun at all! (And this is coming from someone who loved A&P — but when there’s no time for fun reading, it’s a drag.) At least you have overnight oats and chocolate chip cookie bars to get you through your exams — I’m sending lots of happy thoughts your way! I feel pretty damn sure that you’re going to kick butt and own those exams. 🙂

16. Melissa May 29, 2013 / 12:57 am

Gah the trench coats of Scandal! I love them so. I was so into that show this year, although currently I’m obsessed with the newest season of Arrested Development.

The phrase “guilty pleasure” has always bothered me for those exact reasons. What makes something bad or good? No one is saying that, for example, most teen fantasy lit *looks around not-guiltily* is great writing – but if it’s entertaining and lifts your spirits, its existence is justified (nay, encouraged)!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 29, 2013 / 6:57 am

I’ve heard awesome, awesome things about Arrested Development — I’m going to have to check it out, especially since I also adore Jason Bateman. (That man is awesome.)

Also, I completely dig your take on “guilty” pleasures — the idea that we should all go for high-brow/uber-intellectual entertainment — and, by extension, the idea that anyone who doesn’t is somehow impaired/immature/not bright — is ridiculous. Some of the smartest people I know love teen fantasy lit for the very reasons you list, and I’m all in favor of entertainment that lifts a person’s spirits.