WAIW: How Is It Almost June?!

Ok, y’all: is it just me, or as time started going absurdly fast lately? I was looking at the calendar today, only to be shocked and appalled by the fact that May is almost over. How did this happen?! To borrow from one of my favorite movies (Spaceballs), time has gone into ludicrous speed.

Spaceballs Ludicrous speed

I feel like this year is going by faster than I can comprehend — I the months, as it turns out, are feeling more like weeks. How can it possibly be almost June when I keep thinking it’s only March? It appears that my brain is about 3 months behind reality; I’m told that time seems to speed up considerably as you get older, and I’ve definitely found that to be the case. Time moved soooooo sllllooooowwwwwwllllyyyy when I was younger, but now it seems to move at a breakneck pace. If you ask me, the calendar has gone to plaid.

Going to Plaid

Anyways, we all need fuel to carry us through the crazy days/weeks/months/years that are flying by — which is my attempt at a segue between talking about the passage of time to talking about food in mah belly. It was a stretch, you say? Oh well.

Regardless of my bad linking devices, it’s time for the much-loved mid-week ritual of What I Ate Wednesday, hosted by the lovely Jenn from Peas & Crayons!

WIAWbutton

Aside from my usual coffee and toast, I mixed up my morning smoothie routine this week — and it was, in the words of Borat, a great success! This beauty is a vegan, gluten-free chocolate-raspberry smoothie, and it’s decadent. It tastes like it should be dessert rather than a nutrient-dense breakfast food. (Recipe to come tomorrow!)

DSC00944

Lunches + snacks have involved a new fave for me: GF turkey, hummus, and veggie wraps. In the 5 years that I’ve been gluten-free, I’ve found that good GF tortillas are spectacularly hard to come by. They crumble, break, and have the all the pliability of a slab of concrete.

Enter Rudi’s GF tortillas. I already love Rudi’s GF bread above all others, and I’d heard good things about their tortillas, so I decided to give them a try…and oh. Em. Gee. They’re soft and fluffy! They’re pliable! They don’t break! Oh, and they’re freakin’ delicious! Bottom line: these things are awesome.

As a result, I’ve been wrappin’ it up for my lunches lately. These wraps have sun-dried tomato and basil hummus, a slice of cheddar, some deli sliced herbed turkey breast, organic pea shoots, and green onions. As if I needed another reason to look forward to lunch!

DSC00954

Other lunch and snack offerings have involved the second half of my morning smoothie, Eco Planet 7 Whole Grains GF instant hot cereal (when the, ahem, lady-troubles I referenced last week strike hard, oatmeal and hot cereal are among the foods I crave the most), cantaloupe, an apple, and some Greek yogurt.

DSC00956

Dinners have run a wide gamut including Coq au Vin, GF breaded and baked Italian rosemary chicken, chicken saltimbocca, and chicken shwarma and veggie kabobs served with grilled halloumi cheese and brown rice pilaf.

2013-05-23

Desserts, because I refuse to deny my sweet tooth, have involved fresh berries with either Greek frozen yogurt or Trader Joes’s pomegranate-blueberry sorbet. Either way, it’s enough to make me repeatedly exclaim how much I love this stuff.

DSC00952

Oh, and how could I forget? Now that it’s cherry season, I’ve been making repeated pilgrimages to Costco to pick up some of this most wondrous fruit, and I’ve been eating it almost every night. Fast fact about cherries: they’re naturally high in melatonin, a hormone that helps people fall asleep. It occurs naturally in peoples’ brains, and cherries just happen to have a walloping dose of them as well. For me, cherries are the perfect bedtime snack.

DSC00960

With all that being said (whew!), I’m off to the gym — I’ve become mildly addicted to watching Scandal while on the elliptical. Exercise fix + riveting TV fix = 45 minutes of win. πŸ™‚ I hope everyone has a fabulous day!

What’s your favorite dessert?

Do you generally have a bedtime snack? If so, what’s your go-to food?

And, most importantly, is anybody else now in “Hooray, it’s almost the weekend” mode?

36 thoughts on “WAIW: How Is It Almost June?!

1. Caitlyn May 29, 2013 / 6:47 am

OMG yes I hear you about June. I also think mentally I am still in late Feb/early March complaining about waiting for spring. It’s insane. and did not know that about cherries– i’ll have to start having them as bedtime snack too!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:50 am

Right?! I found myself thinking about some deadline coming up in late June, and I was all “Eh, I have time to deal with that later, it’s like 3 months away…OH SHIT, NO. WAIT. WHAT MONTH IS IT?!” Soooo…I feel your pain.

2. Taryn May 29, 2013 / 7:40 am

I didn’t know that about cherries.. very interesting. My favorite dessert lately has been bananas, peanut butter, and white chocolate chips all mixed up in the microwave. But that sorbet looks awesome.. I would definitely have that, especially in the summer!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:49 am

Oh, your dessert sounds fantastic! I love the idea of throwing white chocolate chips in to the mix, too — that’s brilliant. I’m going to have to try it out!

3. jessielovestorun May 29, 2013 / 7:50 am

Girl! I cannot believe were about to be in June. I mean WTF where has the time gone? Soon enough I’ll be rocking an old lady wheel chair & having to wear granny panties! Not cool, Not coo!

I ALWAYS have a after dinner snack. For the past 2 wks it’s been the same thing; ricotta, sweet potato, peanut butter, and either apple slices or mocha cake!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:48 am

LMAO @ the sitting in a rocking chair and wearing granny panties — well played, Jessie, well played! πŸ™‚

4. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 29, 2013 / 8:33 am

Hahaha i loved the segue- perfect transition from the passage of time to food. we do all need fuel, in fact i need fuel right now before i write another sentence bc im freaking starving this morning. 1 sec. ok back. i can’t wait for june- summer, hot weather, cherry season!! my fav dessert is mint choc chip fro yo. OR a cupcake from georgetown cupcakes (we got one in boston a while back around the corner from my apt and ive been addicted ever since)

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:48 am

Oooooh, mint chocolate chip fro yo sounds amazeballs. I’m going to have to try that out, stat! πŸ™‚

Hope you’re having a lovely day, and happy Friday!

5. Jorie May 29, 2013 / 9:02 am

I’ve been snacking on cherries like it’s my job lately. They’re so juicy and fresh! Which reminds me, I gotta pick up another bag…

Also, you won the Internet today for that segue (and also for spelling segue right!) I always see it spelled “segway” like the motorized scooter and it drives me bonkers! So hats off, Lillian. Keep on rocking.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:47 am

Thanks, m’dear! The “segue” vs “segway” thing drives me bananas, too — granted, I hate Segways with a passion, so that only adds fuel to the fire. (Do they have Segway tours in Chicago? They’re all over DC, and I find myself throwing shade at them pretty much every day.) πŸ™‚

6. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama May 29, 2013 / 9:39 am

Can’t wait for the smoothie recipe. That looks AMAZING! I love cherries. So good! This whole post is making me hungry. And, yes, this year is flying by!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:44 am

LOL — I like the idea of getting hungry from reading the post. Such an ego boost! πŸ™‚ Happy Friday!

7. megbek May 29, 2013 / 10:49 am

Girl, this year has totally flown by like crazy! I absolutely agree and it’s both good (for upcoming vacations to hurry up) and bad (this is a really good year!). I would LOVE to see that smoothie recipe mah dear, I love smoothies and haven’t really had the motivation to kick start my love this season. Do it for me, pretty please? Your dinner pictures are also absolutely enticing and wonderful looking. You and Erin at Sugar Magnolia both has me drooling today. Maybe I’m hungry? πŸ™‚ Hope you have a good gym session my dear! I had no idea about the cherries – can’t wait to hop over to Costco to do the same! Awesome idea.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:43 am

Thanks, love! The smoothie recipe is up, so feel free to check it out — and, of course, happy Friday! πŸ™‚

8. thepaceofitall May 29, 2013 / 11:28 am

I agree, it’s crazy to me that it’s nearly June. Whoa. Love all your yummy meals, they look delicious! And I had some cherries the other day, so refreshing!

9. livliveslife May 29, 2013 / 11:53 am

Oh my goodness gracious, I am so looking forward to that smoothie recipe! Chocolate + raspberry is the best flavor combination, in my book. And your dinners are making me drool! I love that you don’t ignore your sweet tooth…I will never understand those people who can just give up sugar for a whole week. I am definitely not one of them – I need my sweets! πŸ™‚
    I didn’t know that about cherries. How interesting. My before-bed snack is usually cereal of some sort. I tend to crave carbs later in the day.
    I hope you’re having a lovely day!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:42 am

Right?! I’m always stunned when people are able to go full-boar in giving up sweets. I think I’d turn into a raging banshee if I did that! I’ve found that sweets in moderation are what work best for me — I can’t bring myself to deny them entirely, but combining them with fresh fruit always helps. πŸ™‚

Hope you’re having a lovely day as well! πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:40 am

Thanks! Cherry season is seriously the best — I wait all year for those babies to arrive in the store, and then I do a shameless happy dance when I see them. πŸ™‚

10. Alex @ therunwithin May 29, 2013 / 12:08 pm

it is going by really fast. like really really fast. trying to just keep it together over here. I am amazed at your dinner creations, they all look good and pretty intricate.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:40 am

Thanks, love! The dinner creations were surprisingly easy — I was amazed by how simple they were to put together!

11. chasingchels May 29, 2013 / 12:38 pm

I completely agree with you about the whole time going way too fast thing…it’s insane and I don’t know how much more of this I can take! I can’t believe we’ve lived here for almost a month…on the one hand, it feels like we’ve been here forever, but on the other, it seems like we just moved. Crazy! I just picked up cherries at TJs today instead of blueberries…so excited to enjoy those on my cereal and whatnot πŸ˜€

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:22 am

Right?! I was thinking about that this week too — we moved here in January, and it feels like we haven’t been here for more than a few weeks (and certainly not 4 months). Where does time go?!

Big hugs, and happy Friday!

12. Dana May 29, 2013 / 1:58 pm

Seriously–time is insane…especially as we get older! πŸ˜‰ May has been nuts though, so I am very much looking forward to a fresh new month. I’m also the matron of honor in my cousins wedding in two weeks! So that’s something to look forward to! I want all of your eats….and that smoothie!! Can’t wait for the recipe, holy yum!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:20 am

It’s awesome that you get to be Matron of Honor — that’s fantastic! πŸ™‚ I just posted the smoothie recipe, so feel free to check it out!

13. Alyssa @ Road to RD May 29, 2013 / 3:54 pm

I once heard the expression, “life is like a roll of toilet paper. the closer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go”. Seems pretty true to me!

14. Greg May 29, 2013 / 5:06 pm

Regarding the perception that time is speeding up as you get older, I have a theory for your consideration. When you are five years old it takes forever for a summer to go by. But a three-month summer is 5% of your entire life. Relative to the rest of your life, a summer is a sizable chunk of it. However, as a 30-year-old adult (or older for some of us) a three month summer is a much smaller percentage of your entire life. Relative to the rest of our life, we perceive it as going by faster because it is a smaller chunk of our life.

What do you think?

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 7:19 am

That makes perfect sense, actually! Looking at things from that perspective makes it clear how relative it all is. Theory: approved!

15. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 29, 2013 / 10:19 pm

I’m a recent Rudi’s tortilla convert, too! I used to buy brown rice tortillas at Trader Joe’s, and while I enjoyed the flavor, they were impossible to roll. I’d always end up with a crumbly mess, which ooooobviously was not okay for blog purposes. πŸ˜‰ Rudi’s to the rescue! Hence, I’m slowly reclaiming my wrap-rolling ways. πŸ™‚

It looks like you’ve had a number of dinner successes this week–yay! The GF breaded Italian chicken looks amazing…Would you like to share the recipe with a faux fried chicken-loving sister?

Favorite dessert: ice cream or cheesecake. I really can’t decide. Chocolate doesn’t count as a dessert because I eat it multiple times/day every day.

Hugs and happy Wednesday! ❀

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 6:59 am

Yes! The TJ’s brown rice tortillas were no bueno for wraps. I started using them for pizzas, but they couldn’t be rolled into anything. I can’t even tell you how excited I am to be able to have wraps again — I love those things, and I’d missed them dearly. Rudi’s to the rescue, indeed! πŸ™‚

As for the faux-fried chicken recipe, I’d be happy to share it! I’ll post it later this weekend for your cooking pleasure. πŸ™‚

Hugs, and happy Friday!

16. Melissa May 29, 2013 / 11:23 pm

I totally agree about time speeding up – my friend and I realized yesterday that it’s been an entire year since we graduated college. I could have sworn it was just 6 months ago….good lord.

My favorite dessert is definitely ice cream if I’m at home, and creme brulee at a restaurant. Basically, bring on the cream.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 6:57 am

Creme brulee is amazing — I love that stuff too. I once had passionfruit creme brulee at a restaurant in Denver, and I was almost certain that I’d died and gone to heaven. I totally agree that cream is the nectar of the gods, and there are no words for how grateful I am that I’m not lactose intolerant. πŸ™‚

17. Meredith May 31, 2013 / 2:46 am

Picking a favorite dessert is hard, but I have to say chocolate chip cookie bars : -) My favorite bedtime snack is a cup of tea and pretzel m&ms! Not the healthiest, but just delicious! Your pomegrante-blueberry sorbet looks DEVINE!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013 / 6:56 am

Bedtime cups of tea are the best — and I think combining them with pretzel M&Ms is brilliant! πŸ™‚