Adventures in Blending: Chocolate-Raspberry Smoothie

Earlier this week, Meredith said that a rough week calls for chocolate, and I couldn’t agree more. Similarly, a rough day calls for a chocolatey, decadent smoothie!

Yesterday was a particularly rough day in my world; with apologies for the impending TMI here — and by way of explanation for why I was AWOL in the blogosphere yesterday — the lady-troubles that have been plaguing me all week became especially acute on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.

And then, because that wasn’t enough on its own, my stomach decided to join in the party. “Oh hai,” it said, “let’s join forces to make Lillian think that maybe she acquired the Black Plague!” It basically rolled up like this:

image

Soooooo…needless to say, I was a hurtin’ cowgirl. I spent the day yesterday at the doctor’s office, and I got a ton of lab work and diagnostics done in hopes that those will lend some insight as to what’s going on.

Random medical fact about me: I have no trouble getting shots (I started getting allergy shots when I was 3, so I’m well acquainted with that whole gig), but I hate — we’re talking absolutely detest, loathe, and outright abhor — getting blood drawn. You see, I have teeny and recalcitrant veins. They roll, they collapse, and they refuuuuuuse to give up the goods when it comes time for blood work. This made yesterday’s lab workup especially fun, and after a few false starts, the lab tech (who, to her credit, was super nice) called for the big guns. Then I was all:

image

By the time I got home, I knew there was but one thing that could soothe my ruffled feathers: chocolatey smoothie goodness. I promised y’all the recipe for this baby, and it was just what the doctor (proverbially) ordered last night.

For those of you who don’t dig dairy or eggs, this smoothie is vegan; it’s packed with vitamin- and antioxidant-rich fruit, loaded with calcium and Vitamin D, and basically brimming with both nutrients and chocolatey goodness.

I drank this puppy down in a flash, at was comforted both by the delicious chocolate and the knowledge that I was pumping my body full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Bring on the nourishing, soul-soothing goodness!

DSC00944

Ingredients:

• 1 frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
  • Approximately 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk (use more or less depending on how thick your want your smoothie to be)
  • 2 scoops Vega All-In-One Chocolate Protein Powder
  • Truvia, agave, or stevia to taste

Directions:

1. Put ’em in the blender and mix away!
  2. Drink happily, possibly giving yourself a shameless smoothie mustache in the process. (I do this, um, every single time I drink a smoothie. I’m hawt.)

DSC00945

I hope everyone has a fabulous Friday — here’s to the weekend, y’all!

What do you do to feel better when you have a rough day?

What’s your favorite smoothie flavor combination?

Do you have any big weekend plans?

13 thoughts on “Adventures in Blending: Chocolate-Raspberry Smoothie

1. chasingchels May 31, 2013 / 6:50 am

Ahhh I’m the exact same way about shots and getting blood drawn! No problem with shots, but if I watch blood leaving my body, I get woozy and pass out. Fun times….or not. Chocolate solves any bad day I’ve had…so I completely believe in starting my day off with some to fend off bad things and then munching on some throughout the day to keep it off 😉

2. riversidebaking May 31, 2013 / 6:57 am

argh bless you, my veins are disappearing at the mere thought! Chocolate solves everything, this smoothie sounds yum, I’m on liquid only this weekend as I’m having oral surgery. This might be the thing to keep me going!

3. Meredith May 31, 2013 / 7:21 am

thanks for the shout-out girl : -) you already know my solution for a tough day comes in the form of chocolate! I am hoping you are feeling much better today, get some rest this weekend! And btw this smoothie sounds fantastic! this is on my must-make list!

4. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 31, 2013 / 8:31 am

you are so right- there is nothing like something chocolatey ESPECIALLY after the doctors. Now that I think of it, I always get froyo or something like that after the doctors, even if it wasnt an intrusive visit at all. sorry to hear about your girl issues. as i think ive mentioned in the comments before, i hear you on that. i have an appt in a couple weeks to see whats up and why i become incapacitated every 3 and half freaking weeks. that smoothie looks delicious, have a great weekend my dear!

5. Alex @ therunwithin May 31, 2013 / 9:59 am

oh no I hope you feel better soon. I also love all the kristin wiig gifs. That lady is hilarious, has to be one of my favorite actresses. I am the opposite, I like getting blood drawn but HATE shots more than life itself. that is when I need someone to hug me and hold my hand.

6. Dana May 31, 2013 / 10:10 am

ha! I love the Kristin Wiig pics. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds delish! I LOVE this smoothie flavor combo and I also adore a good peanut butter- banana thing. I am actually getting an MRI of my brain done today. For a good year I’d say I kept having very random pains in one spot on my head and I figure, now, at age 30, it’s best to just get my head checked out. I mean, I can be a little nuts, too. 😉 I’m a little nervous, only because I don’t like to be somewhere where I can’t move for 20 minutes or longer…. Not cool. It’s so funny because I have always been fine with shots as well AND getting blood drawn.

We are free as a bird this weekend! I just plan to cook a decent amount and get some sunbathing time in! Enjoy your weekend and I hope you feel better!

7. megbek May 31, 2013 / 1:46 pm

I’m so sorry about your medical debacle this week! It’s the worst to feel sick one way and then sick in a whole other way at the same time. Poor girl, hope you’re all good in time for the weekend! I think that smoothie sounds so so so so good… I may nix the protein powder and throw in some spinach and recreate it this week. Geeeee I miss smoothies and with the weather this nice, it’s time to invite them back to the party called Meghan’s Life. When I have a rough day, I curl up with some Parks and Recreation for some immediate laughter. It also helps to have cookie butter somewhere in the scene. 🙂

8. livliveslife May 31, 2013 / 6:58 pm

Ooooh yum. That smoothie sounds so perfect! I’m so sorry about your stomach issues and the fact that you had to get blood drawn. That is just an awful experience. If you’re not feeling better since writing this, I hope you get lots of rest this weekend and feel better soon!

9. peacelovegreatcountrymusic May 31, 2013 / 11:53 pm

I’ll be sitting in my closet eating bags of dark chocolate and riding out severe weather. Your smoothie looks delicious!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 1, 2013 / 7:46 am

Oy, that’s got to be seriously scary. I hope you guys are safe and sound — I’m sending lots of happy thoughts and good vibes your way!

10. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 1, 2013 / 1:45 am

Welp! I feel your fear, girlfriend! I’m deathly afraid of shots and have some pretty crazy stories about running away from the doctor when I was young (and not-so-young…think 15 years-old). Fortunately, I’m able to keep my bum in the chair now, however when I have my blood drawn, there’s about a 50% chance I’ll pass out. Ooof.

I’m so sorry you were feeling under the weather this week! Lady troubles + tummy troubles is a malicious duo. I’m sending healing vibes and hugs your way!

This smoothie sounds and looks fantastic. I’ve always been a vanilla almond milk girl, but a few weeks ago, Whole Foods was out of my favorite brand (Silk), so instead of replacing it with something similar, I decided to make a drastic change. Chocolate it was! I know, so wild, right? The verdict: love at first sip. Now I keep both on hand, which means I have all the ingredients needed to make this smoothie (sans Vega, but I can just use another protein powder). 🙂

I hope you have a fantastic pain-free weekend! xoxo ❤

11. jessielovestorun June 1, 2013 / 5:28 am

I don’t mind shots whatsoever either! I’m actually one of those people that will literally sit there and watch them insert the needle. Ha, the other day I had to get blood, and I told the doctor that I pass out every single time I get blood drawn. Oh man, you should have seen his face. He looked so nervous. I definitely made sure to tell him I was kidding. I mean it definitely wouldn’t be smart to have the person shoving a needle in your arm to be all nervous & shit, Ha Ha!