MIMM: A Weekend of R&R

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to another week! I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend – along those lines, I want to give a shout-out to Meghan for running (and kicking butt) in the Tough Mudder on Saturday. Rock on, Meghan! (*Imagine me cheering and waving pom-poms.*) πŸ™‚

My weekend can best be described as Objective: R&R. While it was super low-key – which I must say, is pretty darn marvelous in and of itself – there were many other marvelous things that only added to the experience. As always, thanks to Katie from Healthy Diva Eats for hosting!

MiMM MIMM #52 with Date Night and More!

As I mentioned yesterday, I’m now a confirmed Arrested Development junkie. I’m so, so glad we decided to start watching it, because my world has been immeasurably enriched by the antics of the Bluth family.

15 Gifs Of Lucille Bluth

I’ve been having lots of this tea lately, and I love it. It’s delicious, refreshing, and energizing. It ain’t coffee, but it’s fabulous in its own way!

DSC00974

This weekend I also became the proud owner of a veritable crap-ton of CVS coupons. CVS coupons are hit or miss, but these hit the jackpot. I get inordinately excited about stuff like this – if I had the time, I’d be all about couponing. I take what I can get, though!

DSC00975

Yesterday’s experiment in the kitchen yielded some awesome results: these Bananas Foster Muffin Tops. They’re effin’ delicious! (I also might have already eaten half the batch in the 24 hours since they came out of the oven. No shame.)

DSC00978

I also hit up Target for a few staples on Saturday, and while I was there, I…bought the whole store. Well, ok, not quite — but they were having a sale on cardigans, and I’m a serious cardigan junkie. Here in DC, once the summer heat and humidity arrive, most buildings go no holds barred with the A/C. It’s pumpin’ on overdrive from May through September, and for cold-blooded folks like myself, this means layers are imperative. Cardigans are my go-to choice for summer layering, since I can stuff them in my bag when I’m outdoors and then throw them on once I’m back in the air-conditioned splendor. I picked up a white cardigan in addition to these two beauties:

DSC00982

I also got a cute skirt and a t-shirt to add to my summer sartorial selection. (Ok, I totally had to reach for the alliteration on that one. Forgive me!)

2013-06-03

Β I also got to have a long and wonderful chat with my friend Sam, which was fantastic. Catching up with friends is a truly wonderful thing!

Hopefully you all had a fabulous weekend — I hope you all have equally fabulous Mondays! (Ok, so that’s totally not likely unless you adore your job, in which case I’d like to live vicariously through you — but hey, we can hope!)

What was your favorite moment from this weekend?

Do you have to restrain yourself from buying ALL THE THINGS when you go to Target?

Do you live in an area where summers involve uber-chilled buildings?

What’s your favorite summer fashion trend?

A brief health update: apologies in advance for being all Debbie Downer (wah-waaaaaaah)/TMI up in here, but here’s the sitch: the acute lady-troubles that plagued me last week got a lot worse yesterday into last night. I’m taking a sick day have a tete-a-tete with my doctor and possibly get more tests done, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this and fix me up. My fingers (and toes) are crossed that things return to normal, stat! If prayers/happy thoughts/good vibes are your thing, please send some my way — this whole gig has me more than a little bit nervous.

29 thoughts on “MIMM: A Weekend of R&R

1. Dana June 3, 2013 / 10:42 am

So sorry to hear about your lady troubles! Positve thoughts your way!! My weekend was also very laid back; much needed! I never thought that going an entire weekend NOT cleaning would actually feel pretty wonderful. {I pat myself on the back as I’m pretty much the same as Monica Gellar}. I try to stay away from Target as much as possible….it’s a total danger zone!

What do you do for a living? Maybe there’s a post about that but I haven’t seen it yet. πŸ™‚ Yes–I live in South Jersey…I work in Philly….FROSTBITE OFFICE! I keep a warm sweater on my chair at all times! I hope you feel back to normal in no time!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 7:41 pm

Thanks, Dana — I appreciate the positive thoughts! πŸ™‚

Also, I totally hear you on being basically Monica Gellar. Of all the Friends characters, my bestie had me immediately pegged as Monica, and she’s totally right. (“WHAT IF THERE’S NO ROOM FOR RIBBONS IN THE RIBBON DRAWER?!) πŸ˜‰

I work as a faceless government bureaucrat, so I spend my summers indoors while freezing my tuchus off from the wildly overachieving A/C!

2. cjoye7 June 3, 2013 / 11:43 am

Awww sweetie, I’m so sorry you’re still feeling poorly! Crossing EVERYTHING that the dr figures out what’s going on today. And I desperately want to try one of those muffin tops! πŸ™‚ Save me one for our raincheck margarita date?

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 7:42 pm

Thanks, hon — I appreciate you checking in on me today. πŸ™‚ Consider two muffin tops saved for our raincheck marg date! πŸ˜‰

3. chasingchels June 3, 2013 / 12:00 pm

Aw love I’m sorry to hear about the troubles! Fingers crossed that the docs can run the tests that give you some answers. We had a pretty relaxing weekend, complete with our best breakfast to date πŸ™‚

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 7:43 pm

Thanks, love — I appreciate the good vibes. πŸ™‚ And OMG, that breakfast sounds like it was amazing. Challah French toast is always a win!

4. megbek June 3, 2013 / 3:15 pm

So sorry to hear you’re not doing so well. I’m definitely thinking about you and know that everything will work out okay in the end. For sure. You are a trooper, and a funny one at that, and I’m sending lots of blog love your way. Get better! Now! A sick blogger is no good, especially one I love reading so much! I just glanced at that recipe for those muffin tops and it looks so yummy! Your picture looks so professional! Girl, Arrested Development is amazing x 1 million. The Bluth’s are the most wonderful and dysfunctional family and they are the best. I haven’t seen the Netflix season, and I haven’t heard the bestttt things but I’m still going to watch. Buster is in a new HBO show called VEEP and he’s just as adorable in that show too. πŸ™‚ FEEL BETTER your pretty thang.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 7:45 pm

Thanks so much, hon — I appreciate the good vibes and happy thoughts! I think more Arrested Development is the cure for what ails me (now if only my doctor could really prescribe that). For now, I’ll just settle for repeatedly telling Brandon that there’s always money in the banana stand. πŸ˜‰

5. liveandbeawesome June 3, 2013 / 4:47 pm

I hope you and your doctor are able to figure out what’s going on sooner rather than later! Being sick is no fun. 😦

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 7:45 pm

Thanks, hon – I appreciate it! I got some meds today and I’m due to talk with my doc tomorrow, so hopefully that’ll get things going in the right direction. πŸ™‚

6. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 3, 2013 / 5:18 pm

Sounds like a fabulous weekend. Love your cardigans and always gotta go for the alliteration when the opportunity presents itself. My favorite weekend moment – gotta brag a bit on my daughter. Last night she SMASHED the TN state record by more than a min with a 10:12 mile. She’s my hero!!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 7:48 pm

Oh, wow — HUGE congrats to your daughter! That’s an awesome accomplishment, and you have every reason to brag. πŸ™‚ At the risk of invoking stranger-danger clauses, please tell her I say congratulations on a job incredibly well done!

7. aftertheivyleague June 3, 2013 / 6:22 pm

So much marvelous in this post! And hey, thanks for the shoutout! I absolutely loved everyone’s encouragement on Saturday, it definitely gave me an extra push to get through!

Loving that your officially addicted to Arrested Development, and definitely cracked up (out loud) at that GIF selection. Oh Lucille #1…also loving the cute new clothes and recipe success! Great weekend!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 7:50 pm

I think Lucille #1 might be my favorite character thus far, although I really love Buster as well. Lucille is just so fabulously misanthropic! I love that Jessica Walters also plays Mallory Archer on Archer (if you haven’t watched that show yet, you must. It’s fan-freakin’-tastic.) — she’s quickly earning a place on my list of favorite actresses.

8. livliveslife June 3, 2013 / 7:54 pm

UGH Target is my financial downfall! I always buy way too much, but they have such cute things. I love the clothes you got.
    Lots of prayers being sent your way. That does not sound like any fun, and I really really hope things get back to normal very soon!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 10:57 pm

Thanks, Liv – I appreciate the prayers! πŸ™‚

And oy, Target is my financial downfall too. It’s amazing how I can walk in with a list and leave with 10 extra things (they’re all extra things that I legitimately use, so they’re not useless impulse purchases!). Brandon has been known to text me while I’m shopping with a gentle reminder not to purchase the entire store. πŸ˜‰

9. Alex @ therunwithin June 3, 2013 / 8:50 pm

target just makes me want to buy it all. I seriously can’t practice self control in that place. luckilyI don’t go a lot there. thank goodness

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 10:58 pm

LOL – avoidance is the best policy! I joke that I shouldn’t be let into Target without a chaperone, but for a joke, it’s alarmingly accurate. πŸ˜‰

• Alex @ therunwithin June 4, 2013 / 7:05 am

haha I love that, I need a chaperone as well. Or I should just carry a bill in my hand…

10. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness June 3, 2013 / 9:00 pm

Aw I hope you get to the bottom of your troubles quickly at this doctors visit. That’s not fun to deal with. however, awesome purchases at target! i want all those things! today i hung out with my mom and i wore a short sleeve shirt and a rain coat because it was rainy and muggy, with a cardigan in my purse for when we went inside. summer is the hardest season to dress for because you need to be prepared for ALL climates. also, arrested development is the best thing ever. im still only on ep 4 of the new season, i cant wait to finish. feel better soon!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 11:00 pm

Thanks, lovely — I appreciate the good vibes/happy thoughts. πŸ™‚

I totally agree that summer necessitates being prepared for every climate, whether it’s hot a Hades, rainy, or uber-air conditioned. As much as I love summer, I really don’t love having to schlep so much extra stuff!

11. thepaceofitall June 3, 2013 / 9:33 pm

Good luck with the health issue, I hope it gets solved quickly. Love buying cardigans, I have one in every color! I love everything you bought at Target… and oh my goodness, hello coupons!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 11:02 pm

Thanks, hon! Target may very well be my financial downfall, because it’s impossible for me to stick exclusively to my shopping list. I can go in with a list of 5 things and leave with 15…but they’re all legitimately useful things that I use all the time, so I feel better about justifying my purchases that way. πŸ˜‰ Hope you had a great weekend!

12. Meredith June 3, 2013 / 10:28 pm

I hope you feel better hun, sending many prayers your way! I am loving your new target purchases. I always having trouble leaving target without spending at least $50. It’s an issue to say the least! : ) cardigans were my go to back home in Boston because of the AC at work! At class in Australia, it’s the same thing, so freezing inside! I’ll have to hit up target while I’m home a few times for sure! Keep resting, get well soon!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte June 3, 2013 / 11:05 pm

Thanks, Meredith — I appreciate it!

Sometimes I feel like I should just hand my paycheck over directly to Target; I love everything they sell, and it’s impossible not to spend under $50. One of my old roommates and I used to play what we referred to as the Target Game, in which we’d buy the other person coffee if she left Target having a) spent under $50 or b) stuck exclusively to her shopping list. It provided a good incentive not to buy the whole store!

13. jessielovestorun June 3, 2013 / 11:15 pm

I hope you start feeling better darling! I don’t like hearing that you’re still having troubles. It actually puts the biggest frown on my face! If only I could fly to you and bring you whatever your little heart desired (beer, rum, wine.. you name it), and we could sit around eating pizza & drinking our night away while watching Arrested Development!

14. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 4, 2013 / 2:33 am

Sending huge hugs and healing vibes your way, love! I’m so sorry to hear you’re still feeling under the weather, and praying that the doctor was able to provide some answers today. ❀ If not, there's always snack and retail therapy, right? πŸ˜‰ Naw, in all seriousness, though, I'm a) drooling over those banana muffin tops (checking out that recipe once I'm done here!) and b) loving your Target finds. Like you, I'm absolutely hopeless when it comes to that store. I've never stuck to my list, despite the best of intentions, so I've stopped trying. However, it's not something I'm terribly ashamed of because every time I set food in that wonderland, I walk away with marvelous things I never knew I *absolutely needed.* Take for example, taco holders. Only $1! And pure genius.

Having lived in DC for eight years, I know the cold building dilemma all too well. When I was interning last year, my boss kept the AC at a crisp (ahem, deathly freezing) 64 degrees. I started taking my lightweight winter jacket to work every day because I'd be frosty by noon! xoxo ❀

15. Jorie June 4, 2013 / 8:59 am

All bets are off when I enter Target. I call it the $100 curse. No matter what I go in for, I end up spending $100. Their clothes, purses, and shoes are simply the cutest. I’m not sure who is doing their fashion buying but a tip of the cap to whoever is.

16. Taryn June 4, 2013 / 11:55 am

The AC is on blast in Charleston starting in March (if not earlier). By the time we get to the actual summer months, it’s welcomed, but until then I LIVE in cardigans. Also, I am SO glad you’re watching (and loving) Arrested Development! My boyfriend wants to start watching, so I’m excited to watch it from the beginning with a newbie.