Gettin’ My Goal-Setting On: Goals for June, the Summer, and the Big Picture

Ok, so I know I’ve mentioned this before, but…seriously, how can it possibly be June already?!

I’m flabbergasted, y’all. Bewildered. Thunderstruck. How did this happen? Didn’t Brandon and I move into our new place, like, a month ago? Insert sigh of astonishment here.

Astonishment aside, now that it’s June and summer is finally upon us, I started thinking about the things I’d like to accomplish during this month and beyond.

Making goals can be a tricky business. If they’re huge or unrealistic, it can feel like abject failure if they’re not achieved (especially if you’d have to be Superwoman on steroids to even come close to achieving them). Similarly, sometimes goals can change as we get more information/learn more/have more experiences – and, despite the good intentions of so many motivational speakers out there who carry on about never giving up, pushing harder, and doing more, all those messages can make a change of course feel like a failure.

Personally, I had that particular motif going on for a long time last year: I felt like a total failure for having worked so hard for so long, only to find out that the career I’d always wanted isn’t the right thing for me.

But then I realized: I had a change of heart because I have more information now than I did when I started out down this road, not because I’m a waste of resources who didn’t try hard enough. My old goals were informed by what I knew at the time, and what I learned over the course of the next 10 years led me to a very different conclusion than the one I’d reached when I was 22. This isn’t a personal failing on my part – instead, it’s simply due to the collection of many more data points that hadn’t been available to me before.

In any event, all that is to say that it’s important to remain flexible in goal setting. By staying flexible, we can amend our goals to account for new data – new information, new experiences, and new circumstances that we hadn’t been aware of before.

As for my own shiny new goals (jazz hands!), I broke them out into June goals, summer goals, and long-term goals, simply because putting them into one big list would make me feel overwhelmed like woah. I don’t know about y’all, but for me, overwhelm quickly leads to total paralysis, which means I accomplish a whole lot of nada, which makes me feel even more overwhelmed, which leads to me accomplishing even less. It’s a vicious cycle.

Ergo: lists upon lists, broken out by time frame!

June goals:

• Plant an herb garden on the porch
  • Find some good GF granola recipes that I can reliably use each week (this is part of an effort to save some dolla dolla billz on groceries, because my beloved Udi’s GF granola costs a pretty penny)

Summer goals:

• Form two new habits:
    • Lift 3x per week
    • Planning out and drafting blog posts on the weekend so I can have more time during the week; we do this with our meal plans, so I’d like to do the same with blog posts
  • Make GF everything bagels — I miss everything bagels like mad, but I have yet to see them sold anywhere. So, I’m going to have to take on this task myself!
  • Hike the Manitou Incline when I’m in Colorado on vacation
  • Figure out a cost-effective way to promote the blog (if any of you lovely people have any suggestions/ideas/guidance, I’m all ears!)

Long-term goals:

• Continue saving money – we’ve been working on this, and it’s going well so far. I’d eventually like to open a CD or high-yield savings account too.
  • Write, write, write…with the objective of eventually being able to make it my job:
    • Continually build readership on the blog
    • Eventually get to the point where I have enough readers to warrant sponsorships, ad revenue, etc.
    • Pick up freelance writing jobs
  • Start a family
  • Explore the idea of setting up an Etsy page in order to sell some of the collages I love so much. I don’t think of myself as an artist, because I can’t draw/paint to save my life — but I do love these collages. I don’t think I’d make much (or any) moolah off of this little venture, but it’d be a fun creative outlet.
  • Learn how to do my own graphic design in Photoshop

What are your goals – for this month, the summer, and the big picture?

Which ones excite you the most/make you the happiest?

Do you break your goals out into short-, mid-, and long-term lists?

14 thoughts on “Gettin’ My Goal-Setting On: Goals for June, the Summer, and the Big Picture

1. chasingchels June 4, 2013 / 7:10 am

I love your take on goals right now, love 🙂 i think it’s the best way to look at/form some honestly. My goal for right now is just to relax, take life one day at a time and soak up everything i can. Not working towards something specific is a long time coming for me….i’ve spent my life working towards stuff, which didn’t end up making me happy. I learned so much along the way though that I don’t regret any of it….just helped me to see that i don’t always have to have a plan and life is more about the experience and the people anyway….i know i’ll have a bigger goal at some point but for now, i’m content 🙂

2. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness June 4, 2013 / 8:36 am

Ooohhh I love your idea to break down goals into separate time-frame lists. I’m the same way, I get total paralysis if the list of goals seems too intense. 1st- whats this about no everything bagels?! i cant imagine no everything bagels, the only bagels i eat are everything bagels, no everything bagels is like no bagels. kudos to you for trying to make your own! also i love the saving money one. getting one’s finances in order and into savings accounts makes you feel like you’re on top of the world (or maybe thats just me, does anyone else get “saving highs” ?) and that is awesome about the etsy page!! your whole list is awesome. you’ve inspired me to write down some goals.

3. ksvirtue June 4, 2013 / 9:29 am

I’m so glad I follow your blog… it’s def. motivating me to better assess and list out my own goals! I also love the idea of breaking down your goals so they seem more doable. I def. have fallen into the trap of overwhelming myself with goals leading to me doing “nada” in the past. :-p One of my goal for the summer is to increase my speed to 8 min. miles. My ultimate goal is to start a family with the hubby and run the RnR San Diego Half Marathon next year! 🙂

4. livliveslife June 4, 2013 / 9:41 am

You have some great goals! I love how your broke them up into different categories. That’s something I need to do, whether or not I post it to my blog. One of my summer goals is to try and increase readership of my blog, too. I’m not quite sure how to do it yet, but I really would like to.
    Thanks for sharing these. Your posts are always so inspirational, I love reading them! 🙂

5. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 4, 2013 / 10:24 am

1. Yes, life is WAY better in flip flops! 2. Love your approach to goal setting and realignment. Goals and dreams definitely change as we learn and grow. 3. Your goals ROCK! 4. Best wishes on your goal to start a family. AWESOME!

We should start a new/small bloggers support group to unlock the secrets of successful blogging & writing! Let’s add a long-term goal of having a blogger conference in some wonderful location, all expenses paid by our many sponsors! Hey, a girl can dream big, right?

6. megbek June 4, 2013 / 11:11 am

Life is better in flip flops and in the summer, end of sentence! No arguing. 🙂 There is never another time where it’s justifiable to drink every weekend at the pool. In the winter: drink every weekend at the movies? No, the summer is the best. Anyway, those look like great and achievable goals. 🙂 I love the lifting goal. Maybe you can encourage me start doing something like that, I have ZERO upper body strength. It’s pathetic. I wish I knew how to publicize, I am hoping to one day do the same! Until then, I’m going to blog my little heart out! 🙂

7. Alix June 4, 2013 / 11:26 am

Oh God, I miss bagels, and yes – everything bagels in particular. The last time I had a bagel was at this amazing hole-in-the-wall place in Montreal about a year ago. Most worth-it gluten-induced tummy ache ever! I went into it with my eyes open and had no regrets. And now I’m glad that Montreal is very very far away, and that no other bagel could ever live up to that dream. Basically cured me of bagels. 😀

My goal for this month is to make it to July 1 without effing anything up (and I must keep reminding myself that that include my health – more workouts, fewer Dove Promises, Alix!). And that’s about as far ahead as I can see right now.

8. Jorie June 4, 2013 / 11:35 am

I love your goals, Lillian. I did a similar thing this past January. I set up a series of monthly goals. So January was “Financial” goals where I tried to revise my budget and I wanted to invest a set amount. Then I made February my “health-related goals” where I went to all the doctor’s appointments I’d been putting off for a few months. It’s been a fun way to work through my to-do list and cross off some of my more overarching goals. PS my latest goal has been to get to lifting 3x a week too!

9. Salta June 4, 2013 / 12:38 pm

I enjoyed reading this post, Lillian. I think your goals totally sound achievable. I’ve also often felt like a failure if I didn’t get through my long list of goals, but I think remaining flexible is key since life often makes you change them. It’s also great to know that you love writing! I am a freelancer (write about all things energy) and love the freedom to explore ideas that interest me, and love it even more when I get paid for it 🙂 A friend of mine has been doing freelancing for a few years now and I think she managed to get paid enough without doing the 9 to 5, but it does take time to build it up. My side gig is belly dance performance and teaching (amazingly, it helped me financially more than I thought before I started). Quite a change from our CSIS days 🙂 My goal this month is to push out a few articles, but in the long-term I want to run my own boutique consulting. What makes me happiest is the flexibility and freedom to work on what I want – be it consulting/writing on energy, dancing, video production – and traveling the world!

10. thepaceofitall June 4, 2013 / 1:17 pm

You have some great goals, I like how you have so many different kinds. Good luck with them!

11. Becky @ Olives n Wine June 4, 2013 / 4:50 pm

I just signed up for my first marathon so my goal is – probably obviously – to start training! I’m also starting some certification courses (details to come!) so I want to dive in head first with that 🙂 My next few months are going to be spent running and studying and blogging – I can’t wait!

12. aftertheivyleague June 4, 2013 / 5:57 pm

Love these goals, and love setting goals for the month (although I haven’t done it in quite awhile!). And as long as you buy certified gluten-free oats, homemade granola recipes are so easy! Seriously a cinch, and much cheaper than store bought varieties. I can send over a few links of my favorites if you’re interested!

And omg, I miss everything bagels in a pretty serious way too. With some cream cheese, mmm. It used to be such an awesome weekend breakfast. And I’m excited about your long term blogging goals! Sounds like an awesome plan 🙂

13. musingsoftheamusingmuse June 4, 2013 / 9:51 pm

You go, Girl! Happy for you. I have been feeling for the last year that writing is my calling. In my younger years I’d toyed with the idea but poo-pooed it as a passing fancy. Now that I AM writing for a blog – I have that itch. All other work, even the new job I took, pales to the dream and hopes for writing. It’s all I want to do. I find myself sitting at the desk at work, doing actual work (the new job keeps me busy), and I keep thinking, “I’d rather be writing right now.”

Now, for cost-effective promotion – ask your blogging friends! I’m in the same boat as you, and just asking people to promote you if they like you is the best. I try to link to people’s blogs when I can. Also, Twitter and Facebook. Like you, one of my goals is to gain enough readership and subscribers to reach a point of being able to get endorsements and advertising to bring in some moola.

Also like you, I become HORRIBLY overwhelmed by “big ideas” and have to break things out into minutia so I can focus on one small thing at a time. Kind of like writing – I have a handful of book ideas, but I’m still stuck in that “overwhelmed and paralyzed” stage. In my head I’ve just started to break things down into more manageable pieces.

14. Meredith June 4, 2013 / 11:28 pm

Thanks for sharing your awesome goal lists. Seriously I need to break mine into categories like this because it makes it so much more organized and makes them seem more attainable this way! A goals for me this summer involveds sorting out where to apply for master’s programs…eek! Scary but exciting at the same time.

p.s. love your goal about writing. It’s what you love and you’re following your dream. So exciting!