WIAW: Sensible Snacking + A Study in Comfort Food

I have a confession: I haven’t taken many food pics this week. It’s been a rough week, and my mind has been quite occupied lately (with apologies for being all vague, I’ll write about what’s going on soon — but I’m not quiiiite ready yet). As a result, foodie photography has been placed on the back burner. Pun intended. I thank you.

Anyways, this week’s WIAW offerings have been a study in comfort food — thanks, as always, from Jenn over at Peas & Crayons for hosting!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfasts:

Each morning involves my beloved GF toast and coffee combo; with my generally sensitive estomago, my theory on food is that if it works, stick with it. And Rudi’s Multi-Grain GF toast, served with a steaming mug of Toasted Almond Amaretto coffee, most definitely works. I then follow it up with a smoothie, packed with frozen mango, banana, kale, almond milk, and Vega French Vanilla protein powder.

2013-06-007

Lunches:

My mid-day meals have involved evol chicken teriyaki bowls, and the unpictured (but much-loved) GF turkey, hummus, and veggie wraps that I created last week. I wash my meals down with my fave beverage, grapefruit mineral water.

DSC00963

DSC00989

Snacks:

In keeping with this month’s WIAW snacking theme, I do love me some snacks! I’ve noshed on Chobani Almond Coco Loco flips (seriously, best yogurt EVER), celery with creamy dill dip, strawberries with chocolate almond milk (sooooooo delicious — it tastes just like chocolate-dipped strawberries, sans the mess or dessert label), Luna protein bars, bananas foster muffin tops, GF pretzels with Laughing Cow cheese, and the bomb diggity Trader Joe’s kale chips that are impossible not to adore.

2013-06-005

Dinners:

Dinners have basically involved carbs galore (like I said, comfort food is the key motif here), primarily in the form of Pad Thai and GF pasta with pesto and grilled chicken.

2013-06-04

Desserts/post-dinner snacks:

Fruit galore! Cherries or blueberries with frozen Greek yogurt have been my go-to choices lately, and they’re delicious.

2013-06-006

I hope everyone is having a fabulous Wednesday!

What’s your favorite comfort food?

What are your go-to snacks?

15 thoughts on “WIAW: Sensible Snacking + A Study in Comfort Food

1. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness June 5, 2013 / 11:32 am

Hope everything is ok and you feel better soon! “foodie photography has been placed on the back burner. Pun intended.” i may have laughed too hard at this- gosh i love puns ๐Ÿ™‚ and my comfort food is PASTA. like if im having a bad day/week/ year whatever- i dream about pasta for dinner all day long. its such a wonderful food ๐Ÿ™‚ enjoy the rest of your day chica!

2. cjoye7 June 5, 2013 / 11:36 am

Been thinking of you all day… And now we DEFINITELY need to do margaritas! That’s a comfort food right? xoxoxoxo

3. ksvirtue June 5, 2013 / 11:38 am

Ah, another Chobani Almond Coco Loco flip fan – yes, it is seriously the best yogurt EVER! Ptraying all is well with you. My fave comfort food is a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato bisque. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Dana June 5, 2013 / 11:41 am

Mac & Cheese and Potatoes galore for comfort food!! Hope you’re better, Fast! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

5. thepaceofitall June 5, 2013 / 2:04 pm

I am in love with all your food this week, especially the pesto! That was my go-to meal when I was fresh out of college and broke lol. Yum! And hope everything is okay with you!

6. Cindy Jillie June 5, 2013 / 3:44 pm

My favorite comfort foods and go to snacks are the same. Pistachio nuts .and Coors Light beer.

7. Robin June 5, 2013 / 5:36 pm

Go to snacks!? Bare fruit mangos and apricots. And I’m with you in Greek Yogurt and fruit… I eat that all week long. Comfort food– cheesy noodles…like Mac and cheese but I don’t bother baking it…so yummy!

8. Alex @ therunwithin June 5, 2013 / 9:15 pm

gosh this week has been rough because i really didnt have time to shop and get tons of good snacks and food. I can’t wait to find some local fruit and some tasty snacks

9. megbek June 5, 2013 / 10:06 pm

Love the back burner pun. Puns = awesomeness. I’m sorry you’re having a rough week and a rough time, I am keeping you in my thoughts to heal up and return to normal. ๐Ÿ™‚ I love Pad Thai the most out of anything in the world, totally envious of that dinner stuff! Enjoy your comfort food, that’s the best method of comfort!

10. Becky @ Olives n Wine June 5, 2013 / 10:17 pm

Ooooh – all of that pad thai sounds amazing. I might be getting that for lunch tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚ As for comfort foods, anything spaghetti or lasagna or Italian related is a total comfort food for me!

11. OneMotherofaDay June 5, 2013 / 11:04 pm

Those Chobani Flip ones are my all time favorite. I had stocked up this week and they are almost all gone. Hope your week gets better!

12. Meredith June 6, 2013 / 4:48 am

I’m hoping you are feeling better and are on the mend, hun! I have yet to try those Chobani flips because they aren’t available in Australia, so I’m dying to get my hands on one once I’m home…yum! My favorite snacks are air-popped popcorn, apples and peanut butter, homemade trail mix, and carrots +hummus ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Jorie June 6, 2013 / 8:54 am

Hope you’re doing okay, Lillian! My dinners have been carbs galore lately too ๐Ÿ™‚ If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!