WIAW: Collages of Delight*

*This is the cheesiest title I’ve ever used. Oy vey. Do I need more sleep?

So, I’ve alluded to this before, but I love collages. When I was a wee lass, I had big dreams of becoming an artist — only to have those dreams dashed when I realized that I’m spectacularly lacking in artistic ability. My attempts to draw a beautiful tree consistently resembled a deformed giraffe, and my flagrant inability to render any sense of perspective to my drawings led to them being flat and distorted — and not in an innovative, Salvador Dali-esque way, either. It was a sad state of affairs.

As I got older, though, I realized that I love making collages. They don’t require me to draw anything (thank you, oh 6 pound, 8 ounce, sweet newborn baby Jesus) but they still allow me to do something artistic. For a creative but desperately-lacking-in-artistic-ability person like me, this is the best of both worlds.

With that in mind, I’ve started creating food collages for What I Ate Wednesday, hosted by the lovely mama-to-be Jenn over at Peas & Crayons — they save space, and I have a grand ol’ time putting these together…it’s a win-win, no?

Peas and Crayons

Sooooo…behold the foodie collages!

Sweet, Glorious Caffienation:

Along with my morning toast, I spend some quality time with my beloved java while my brain joins the world of the living. I’m always amazed when I hear people say that they’ve given up caffeine, because I’m fairly certain I’d turn into a raging banshee if I did that. I once tried to switch from coffee to tea, and I had to use tremendous self-control to keep from becoming clinically insane when I saw people walking down the street with steaming cups of Starbucks java.

Image

Breakfasts:

Breakfasts usually consist of a smoothie with protein powder or a banana and juice, which I love. I keep hearing all these self-proclaimed fitness and weight loss gurus carrying on about the importance of never, ever, EVER drinking your calories, but whenever I hear that nonsense, I’m all:

That’s right, y’all. I have serious Chris Bosh-like side-eye for these ridiculous edicts. Clearly the folks making these proclamations have never encountered fruit and kale smoothies, kombucha, or superfood juices. Bob Barker, you’ll have to pry these things out of my cold, dead hands! (And yes, since we’re dealing with stuff like smoothies, my hands will be very, very cold. You’ll have an epic task before you. Insert diabolical laughter here.)

In the mix: a Drink Your Greens smoothie from Whole Foods (they were kind enough to add a banana and a packet of Vega French Vanilla protein powder to the mix for me), a home-made smoothie with kale, strawberries, banana, mango, and almond milk, a GT’s Synergy Kombucha, and an Odwalla Super Foods Red Rhapsody.

Image

Lunches:

When my schedule gets hectic, I rely on soup cups to get me though the middle of the day. Dr. McDougall’s is my jam here – they’re gloriously easy, and as instant soup goes, they’re pretty darn nutritious. Dr. McDougall’s also has a decent selection of gluten free offerings, so I stick with the black bean, spring onion, and pad Thai flavors.

Image

Dinners:

Our dinners have run a wide gamut lately, since things have been a bit out of whack after last week’s upheaval. We’ve had grilled Southwest chicken with romaine and guacamole, spring mix with shredded rotisserie chicken and papaya poppy seed dressing, a BBQ chicken salad, and one of my fave insta-dinners: Thai cole slaw with peanut sauce. (*Drools*)

Image

Desserts:

Now, I’m not one to advocate a full-out sugar fest, but a girl’s gotta have some sweets in her life. With that in mind, my desserts have been nutritious to the point of being saintlike oh, who am I kidding? I’ve been chowing down on fro yo like it’s my job.

2013-06-015

So tell me, dear readers:

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Do you have any hidden, random artistic talents?

Drinking calories (and I’m talking about this a healthy context, not daily margs…although daily margs do sound pretty awesome): yea or nay?

15 thoughts on “WIAW: Collages of Delight*

1. jessielovestorun June 12, 2013 / 7:07 am

Ha Ha Ha! The fact that you added a will ferrell line from talladega nights to your opening paragraph just makes you 10x more awesome.. and made my day 🙂

• Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 12, 2013 / 9:42 am

Glad I’m not the only one who loves Talladega nights. Quoting the pre-meal prayers is a regular occurence in our house!

2. livliveslife June 12, 2013 / 7:33 am

Ooooh I miss coffee. It is just awful being allergic to it, especially when I have early mornings and want that caffeine kick. I don’t blame you at all for not wanting to give it up!
    That side-eye made me laugh out loud. Too funny.
    I am all for drinking calories if it’s done smart and healthily. Smoothies are the best, and I’m even totally behind a glass of wine in the evening. It’s all about moderation.

3. Meredith June 12, 2013 / 7:57 am

I’m loving your collages : -) I’d be psycho if I couldn’t have my coffee everyday, too! When I was little I wanted to be a writer and then a podiatrist…so random! I think nutritious smoothie calories are a-ok, they are healthy calories! A glass of bubbly every now and then is totally worth it, too!

4. Dana June 12, 2013 / 7:59 am

I love the collage idea! You are adorable, miss! I went thru many different phases of what I wanted to be: vet, ballerina, teacher, paralegal, chef, food writer<— still really want to be but blogging will do for now! 🙂

I'm awful at drawing, but I can make cool stars and roses and people say I have nice handwriting but I do not concur. I sometimes WISH I could live off of just drinking healthy drinks and smoothies. They keep me full and I Love em!

5. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness June 12, 2013 / 8:50 am

Those are some great collages! If that doesnt count as artistic talent I dont know what does! I love drinking my calories. Smoothies, coffee, kombucha, juices- yes please to all of them! I could never give up my coffee. Never. Speaking of which, yo quiero mas cafe right now because my eye lids don’t seem to recognize that its daytime and they need to be up. hidden artistic talent- graffiti writing. i call it “calligraphy” to some people, but no, i can do graffiti style writing and I used to sell my prints to actual taggers when i lived in nyc.

6. chasingchels June 12, 2013 / 8:56 am

Ahhh i love the collages, darlin 🙂 we had art therapy every day when i was in treatment for my ed and were often encouraged to make collages to give us something to work towards/show ourselves what we hoped to gain by getting rid of our eds…i loved it since i love art but can’t draw to save my life 😛 i think i still have the ones i made too…have to check and see 🙂

7. Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now June 12, 2013 / 9:24 am

I wanted to be a Rockette … i was barely 4 feet tall then
    I knit …
    And I love smoothies! Definitely a yay

8. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 12, 2013 / 9:48 am

Love the collages, although your WIAW posts always leave me hungry and wondering what’s in my kitchen! I love to make big, creamy smoothies after a long run or ride on the weekend. They totally hit the spot! And I can pretty much guarantee I have even less natural artistic talent in my bones than, well, pretty much anyone. My brain just doesn’t work that way! Putting together a scrapbook for my oldest’s first year was downright painful for my analytical, left brained, structured self!

9. Racing Bananas June 12, 2013 / 9:52 am

Great collages! And I have to say, that video of Chris Bosch is one of my favorite things in the world! Thanks for the laugh this morning!

10. thepaceofitall June 12, 2013 / 11:29 am

Love your collages, they are definitely fun! And I think drinking your calories is okay the way you drink them… drinking like a Dr Pepper (like I’m about to) not so much. Rawr.

I wanted to be a nurse when I grew up. Didn’t work out so well lol

11. cjoye7 June 12, 2013 / 3:36 pm

I recently discovered a hidden talent for play doh sculptures. And my day doesn’t even BEGIN unless I’ve had a cup of coffee or three.

12. Alex @ therunwithin June 12, 2013 / 7:42 pm

hot weather – no ac – makes me want all things cold. sadly most cold things are not whole 30 approved like that delicious looking greek yogurt

13. aftertheivyleague June 12, 2013 / 8:07 pm

It always shocks me when I find out that some people don’t drink coffee too. My boyfriend never drinks it, and it’s honestly a source of conflict in our relationship. What grown adult doesn’t drink coffee?? Crazyness. And the drinking your calories thing is such crap I think too! My roommate andrea insisted on buying the diet Gatorade to have during our race a couple weeks ago. I was like seriously? You realize we’re running for like 3 hours. We don’t need diet Gatorade. She was like I know I just can’t drink calories! Some people. I don’t get it lol. Also the collages are adorable! Keep it up 🙂

14. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 13, 2013 / 3:42 am

The Talladega Nights reference made my night. Ahh, I adore that movie – especially THAT scene! You’ve definitely sparked a craving for some good Will Ferrel humor. Which reminds me, when is the new Anchor Man movie hitting theaters? Can. Not. Wait. !! 😀

I can definitely relate to the “lacking-in-artistic-skills” situation, which is why I love Instagram (and all the other iPhone apps that make my photos look pretty). Maybe my next venture will be…collage- making! Speaking of, I’m inspired by yours, and keep scrolling back up to the last one. I had no idea TCBY sold Greek froyo by the carton! One of the best things about being in Boise the past few months has been access to a TCBY store. The honey-vanilla Greek is amazing!

As far as drinking calories goes: I couldn’t imagine life without my afternoon cappuccinos! This “rule” is complete hogwash, especially when we’re talking green smoothies. Keep slurping, girl!

Hope you’re doing okay after last week…You’ve been in my thoughts and prayers! ❤ xoxoxo