Here Comes the Sun

Good morning, y’all!

Yesterday’s storms wound up being a total bust, which was good in terms of not getting snatched up by a sneaky Hamburgler-like tornado (see yesterday’s post to understand what I’m referencing with that — it’s weird, I know!), but still kind of disappointing, because I was hoping to see some hardcore thunderstorms. Alas, we had 15 minutes of wind and torrential rain, and in my neck of the woods, none of the storms lived up to their hype. I’m pretty sure this should be the official motto for DC weather, especially after this winter’s epic snowstorm that never happened:

image

Speaking of all things meteorological, though, here’s a random fact: did you know that today is the earliest sunrise of the year? (I had no idea, but I read it today as part of the weather report. Whoda thunk it?)

One of the many reasons why I love the month of June is the fact that there’s just so much sunlight. I’ve always been a sunshine junkie — I don’t lie out and tan, but I love going outside and getting a bit of photosynthesis. (I realize that I’m not a plant, but hey, a girl’s gotta get her Vitamin D. That windowless office of mine is almost certainly going to give me Rickets.)

Anyways, I’d originally planned to do a big ol’ nerdy, quasi-scientific post about The Autoimmune Epidemic by Susan Nakazawa, but things have been really hectic this week — which means I didn’t have time to sit down and write what will be a more time-intensive post.

With that in mind, instead I’m going to do one in a similar vein as yesterday’s post. It’s random, it has virtually no substance whatsoever, and…that seems about right for a Friday. ๐Ÿ™‚ (Does anybody else feel like their brain is fried?)ย  So without further ado, here’s a series of random reasons why I looooooooove the sunshine:

• One of the many things I love about this time of year is the fact that it’s light out when I wake up. The fact that it’s not pitch black out when my alarm goes off makes it approximately eleventy thousand times easier to crawl out of bed. In the depths of winter, it looks like this:

image

image

But during the summer, when it’s getting light out before six, it looks more like this:

image

• When it’s sunny out, it automatically puts me in a substantially better mood than when it’s all gloomy and gray. When it’s rainy and gray, I’m all:

image

But when it’s sunny and warm out, I’m all:

image

• Growing up in Colorado means that I was raised on a steady diet of sunshine; Colorado gets over 300 days of sunlight per year, and we never went more than a day or two without sun. The East Coast, by contrast, gets — and this is a hard, scientific number, backed up by loads of empirical data — at least 80 million fewer days of sunshine per year than they do out West. Living here has made me become really hardcore about going outside on the days when it is nice out. I could be sick, incapacitated, or generally on the brink of death, but as soon as the sun appears, I’m ready to run outside.

image

Brandon and I have talked about how much we miss the West and how much we’d like to someday move back there. If we ever do, I can guarantee that this is what I’ll do almost every day:

image

With all that in mind, I want to know:

What type of weather do you like most?
(I may be a sunshine junkie, but lots of people love rain!)

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

16 thoughts on “Here Comes the Sun

1. Meredith June 14, 2013 / 8:26 am

I am totally with you on sunny weather. After living in the northeast my whole life and now being in Australia, I can say I much prefer sunny weather because I think I just feel better, and everyone’s happier when it’s sunnier : -) however, despite the weather, I’d still move home in a heartbeat to be close to my family! Glad the storm wasn’t too bad, happy Friday hun! Enjoy the sun!

2. Liz June 14, 2013 / 8:26 am

Oh my! All of those animations look very familiar! I love sunshine ๐Ÿ™‚
    If I could live anywhere, it would be in the NC, SC, GA region of the country.
    Love the post

3. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness June 14, 2013 / 8:51 am

Oh I neeeed the sun. Already today with all the rain, I’m just not waking up correctly. My eyes refuse to fully open. I love waking up to the sun, it’s 1 million times easier to get out of bed. and thats the thing i like about boston- it gets light here really really early in the morning. except when its raining. i love colorado. my sister lives there and my family goes out there at least once or twice a year to either ski or hike, its like the perfect state.

4. Yes, another sunshine junkie over here! **raises hands** Nothing makes me happier than waking up to warm, sunny mornings!! And I’m actually in the MD so I can totally relate to the “big storm” being a total bust, but yea – I suppose that’s a good thing. ๐Ÿ˜‰ If I could live anywhere, it would probably be San Diego, CA (but only if somehow my family/friends could visit often though). I’d miss them too much. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 14, 2013 / 9:07 am

I’m definitely a sunshine junkie! Not only is it easier to get up with the sun, but I love the long evenings and having plenty of time to get outside after dinner. My husband and I would love to move westward in the future. Would be awesome to be close to so many incredible places to run, hike, and ride.

6. Taryn June 14, 2013 / 9:29 am

I’m a sunshine girl for sure! It’s sunny here most days (read: never have to turn the lights on in my house.. just open the windows), which is why I really love a good thunderstorm.. because they don’t happen often, it’s fun.

7. cookingfortheotherhalf June 14, 2013 / 10:32 am

Wow, I didn’t realize how gloomy it was for us east coasters! Sad.

I’m definitely more about the sun — every once in a while, I don’t mind a rainy day, but it’s literally been raining aaaaaallllll weeeeeeek here and I’m sick of it. Sigh.

8. chasingchels June 14, 2013 / 10:51 am

Hahahaha this just put a huge smile on my face, love…thank you for that since I needed it on this gloomy Pittsburgh morning! I love the fact that it’s light when I get up a little after 5 now…I pop up just like Lea…ok maybe not quite that perky but a lot better than in the winter ๐Ÿ˜› I hope you guys have a great weekend!!

9. thepaceofitall June 14, 2013 / 11:34 am

I agree with you on the sun being out early in the morning making it easier to get up (and oh my word that kitten falling off the chair was so adorable, I couldnt’ stop watching it!) but I prefer rain. Or at least, cloudy skies. Too much sun hurts my eyes and makes me all squinty. I belong away from Texas!

10. Brittany @ FreckledNettles June 14, 2013 / 1:56 pm

I love, love, love mornings! I’m right there with you. If I could move anywhere, I’d probably say that I’d like to move to Florida or Germany. I know- two polar opposite places, but I love Florida’s weather and I love Germany’s atmosphere. I hope you have a great weekend!

11. liveandbeawesome June 14, 2013 / 5:00 pm

I could’ve written this article. If you think your weather is bad, you should come here haha. It’s miserable and I get so cranky. I WANT SUN.

12. megbek June 14, 2013 / 6:17 pm

Cool about the sunrise! They should have advertised that more! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love these animations, I am ALL about the sunny and glorious weather. A lot of it. I’ll take a day in the sun over a day in the rain any time of the year. And I had NO idea that Colorado had 300 days of sun, that’s so awesome. I went from Seattle to Georgia and I must say – the lack of sunlight in both places isn’t the best which makes me about as neurotic as Andy in that pic when the sun is out! Have a wonderful weekend lovely.

13. Alex @ therunwithin June 14, 2013 / 9:12 pm

I have to say I love that the sun comes out earlier, but basically because I am up and running. It would help though on my rest day if I could actually sleep in. never happens.

14. livliveslife June 16, 2013 / 10:48 am

I LOVE warm, sunny weather. Not a fan of the humidity that almost always comes with it in Michigan, but oh well, I’ll take what I can get. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. peacelovegreatcountrymusic June 17, 2013 / 1:21 am

I’m a rainy weather gal. It’s great sleeping weather and I feel more rested. I’m like Elvis in that I hate morning sunlight in my bedroom. I’d tinfoil the windows like he did but that would be creepy.

16. Pam S June 18, 2013 / 8:57 am

I’m totally with you on the sunny weather, I grew up in Texas, and also live in California for a few years where it was perfectly blue skies and sunny pretty much every day. I now live in London where it’s rainy, gray, and depressing every.dang.day. I definitely hope to move back to warmer climates! ๐Ÿ™‚