MIMM: Wonderful Weekend Recap

The time-space continuum and I have a weird relationship.

To wit, I find that it slows down during the week, only to launch into warp drive during the weekend. How is this possible? Isn’t E = MC2 an immutable law of physics? Listen up, Father Time: I’m pretty sure Einstein would be displeased by the realization that you’ve been messing with his equation.

I always find that because the work week is so jam packed, the weekends wind up having that go-go-go motif as well. There are errands to run, chores to do, and because there’s always so much traffic here, it takes aaaaages to run errands. That said, we always try to slip in the occasional leisure activity while we’re out and about.

This weekend’s marvelousness (as always, thanks to Katie from Healthy Diva Eats for hosting Marvelous in my Monday!) came in two forms: movies and my wee little urban herb garden on our deck. Since it’s an urban herb garden, let’s go ahead and call it my herban garden. I thank you. (I’m here all week, folks! I also do Bar Mitzvahs!)

MiMM MIMM with Date Night, Bump Update, Baby Shower, and Fathers Day!

First, the movie: Brandon and I had been wanting to see Man of Steel since the previews first made their debut, and we were determined to see it this weekend. It doesn’t disappoint, y’all — it’s a really good movie. I’ve generally been unimpressed by remakes of superhero movies, but this one absolutely lives up to all the hype.

photo(13)

And then there’s the matter of my herban garden, which I’m seriously excited about. I’ve been wanting to plant fresh herbs for aaaaaaaaaages, but our old place got almost no direct sun — so my initial attempts at this, circa 2010, were a huge fail. Imagine, if you will, a bunch of sad, wilty plants that withered and met their demise within a week of being placed on our deck. I basically perpetrated a floral genocide. Knowing that, I decided to wait to try it again until we had a place with more direct sun.

Now, happily, we have such a place — but our deck is teeeeeeeeny, so I needed to be creative about saving space. Enter the stackable pot concept:

I found this genius contraption on Amazon, and I immediately knew that it was the solution to my space problem.ย  Step two involved getting organic potting soil and herb seeds, but I quickly realized that seeds aren’t the way to go for me: as it turns out, the seeds are designed for in-ground flower beds that get a lot of vertical sun exposure (as opposed to the diagonal rays on our porch).

False start, lane one! Everybody out of the pool and back into the starting blocks!

Once I figured this out, we made an emergency trip to Whole Foods (ok, insofar as a trip to Whole Paycheck can ever be an emergency) for some organic potting herbs. Said trip was successful, and I’d like to introduce my new homies, basil, thyme, oregano, and mint:

DSC01018

I got to work, pouring dirt and planting getting these babies set up in their new home, and soon had a finished product on my hands. While running around this weekend I also picked up a bright pink Gerbera daisy — one of my favorite flowers — which I added to the mix as sort of the crowning glory.

Behold!

DSC01021I love using fresh herbs in my cooking, and I’m incredibly excited to have my own supply on hand. I had a pretty extensive potted herb garden when I was in grad school back in the Motherland (Colorado), and I used it almost every time I cooked. Eggs with fresh basil? Mos def. Chicken with lemon and fresh oregano? Don’t mind if I do. Ice water with fresh lemon and mint? Hit me. (That last one is something I picked up in Israel — the Israelis have this wondrous concoction called limon-nana that mixes lemonade, fresh mint, and ice, and it’s amazeballs. I drank that stuff like it was my job when I was in Jerusalem.)

2013-06-16

And, with that, I’m off to work (le sigh). Here’s to getting through Monday, y’all — soon we’ll be one day closer to Friday. ๐Ÿ™‚

Did you do anything fun this weekend?

Do you like cooking with fresh herbs?

What’s your favorite flower?

12 thoughts on “MIMM: Wonderful Weekend Recap

1. Dana June 17, 2013 / 8:45 am

haha–I love your ‘herban garden’. I had a crazy busy weekend being in my cousins wedding, but it was a beautiful day and so much fun! Dragging today…..

We saw Man of Steel on Sunday. { my husband’s a little more obsessed as he saw it twice before already} lol.

I love peonies and they were in my cousins bouquet. gorgeous!

2. jessielovestorun June 17, 2013 / 8:47 am

your little garden is beautiful & blooming away ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama June 17, 2013 / 8:49 am

Love your ‘herban garden’ and the gerber daisy perched on top! Don’t those just put a big smile on your face?! We had a wonderfully busy weekend with lots of playtime at the pool, good eats, and even a little siesta for me yesterday. Any time I can sneak in a nap, I’m a happy gal!

4. chasingchels June 17, 2013 / 8:57 am

Yay for getting your herb garden together!! Joe keeps saying that we are starting one since we use them a lot…we should probably get on that soon ๐Ÿ˜› my favorite flower is the lily in any color/shape/form…love picking up a bunch of them at trader joes when they’re on sale ๐Ÿ™‚ have a great day, love!!

5. Taryn June 17, 2013 / 10:45 am

I love the little garden! Such a cool pot ๐Ÿ™‚

6. thepaceofitall June 17, 2013 / 10:51 am

Your herb garden is so neat, and I love gerbera daisies, my favorite! You’re the first person that really liked Man of Steel – all of my friends have been saying they didn’t like it. Hmmm.

7. cookingfortheotherhalf June 17, 2013 / 11:56 am

Seriously, why do the weekends go so fast?! They should all be 3-days.

I am glad to hear that Man of Steel was good — I’ve been hearing mixed things. I would definitely like to see it.

That stackable garden pot is AWESOME. What an amazing idea!!!!

8. megbek June 17, 2013 / 12:01 pm

Yay, I’m glad Man of Steel was good, I really can’t wait to see it!! Cute herb garden! I tried to grow basil once and failed. It’s not hard, I just suck at it. Love the stacked pots too, very innovative! I love your reflections from Israel thrown in! My bestie is on her way there today for birth right and she’s so excited!!! I love fresh herbs – basil makes everything better!

9. Erin June 17, 2013 / 12:14 pm

Hooray for gardening! Keep an eye on your mint, it can take over EVERYTHING! Though that may be more of a problem in gardens than in pots. We have taken to planting our mint in pots on our front porch, well away from the other herbs and veggies because it was seriously trying to take over. Mint! Quit being a bully! (a delicious delicious bully…) ๐Ÿ™‚

• CM June 17, 2013 / 10:15 pm

I’m glad you said it,Erin! Because I would have! Mint is no joke!! But it smells so good!!

10. Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now June 17, 2013 / 6:14 pm

I was in Canada this weekend and just got home today ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish I could grow things, but I love Forget Me Nots and white roses

11. Jorie June 17, 2013 / 8:48 pm

Yay for herban gardens! (Definitely made me chuckle). Also: I can so relate to weekend errands taking forever due to traffic. Chicago is the same way! I find that running my errands at 9 p.m. on a weeknight is so much more gratifying at times because I can just zip around the city.