WIAW: I’m Baaaa-aaack!

Good morning, everyone — I’m happy to report that yesterday’s surgery went really well. I’m feeling surprisingly good this morning, especially since I figured I’d have some post-op pain and soreness, but I actually feel great. I’d do a happy dance over this, but I know I need to give my body time to recover…so I’ll do a happy dance in my mind instead. This is what’s going on in my mind whenever I stand up and notice that nothing hurts:

image

Anyways, after a few weeks of being largely MIA from the blogosphere, I’m excited to be back. Hopefully, this “Hey, nothing hurts…awesome!” motif will continue, and I’ll be able to get back to writing more regularly.

For today, though, I’ve got big plans for my day of forced convalescence (I was told to take at least 24 hours to rest and not really do anything, which I’m more than happy to oblige): watching this Joan Rivers documentary (gawd, you guys, I freakin’ adore that woman) and indulging in a pile of magazines that I haven’t had time to read lately.

As for my foodstuffs lately (and, as always, many thanks to Jenn from Peas & Crayons for hosting What I Ate Wednesday!), my soy-free, corn-free, and dairy-free-ish (I add the “ish” suffix because I’ve tried cutting out dairy a bajillion times before — and not only does it not make much of a difference, but I find that I feel a lot better when I have some dairy in my life) experiment is going relatively well so far.

Confession: although it’s going well, I think it’d be a lot easier if I just had more time. I’ve always loved cooking and I’ve always eaten a diet heavy on whole foods, but cooking everything from scratch is seriously time-consuming. If only I had the ability to work from home! Alas, that’ll only happen if I find myself in possession of a winning Powerball ticket, and seeing as I haven’t bought a lottery ticket in years…well, my dreams of working from home are unlikely to come true. Le sigh.

That said, though, on to the WIAW offerings!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfasts

My first meal o’ the day has relied on some old standbys:

Wedding - CD 2

Lunches

My lunches lately have been absurdly consistent — and by consistent, I mean monotonous. But I mean this in a good way, I promise! I’m a big proponent of the “find something that works and roll with it” theory, and this lunch works beautifully. I wolf it down every day, and I lurrrve it.

2013-07-033

Dinners

Dinners have posed the least of my challenges in terms of the allergen elimination diet; since I’ve been gluten-free for so long, I’ve been getting creative in the kitchen for ages. Eliminating corn and soy wasn’t that hard when it comes to dinner recipes (this was a seriously pleasant surprise!), and I’ve found a number of recipes that work really well. Win!

2013-07-032

2013-07-03

2013-07-031

Desserts

As for desserts, I’ve been sticking with almond milk fro-yo (soooooo, I guess it’s not really fro-yo? Would fro-al-mi be the right term for frozen almond milk? DEEP THOUGHTS.). The one exception to that was last night: on our way home from the surgical center, I told Brandon that I wanted one thing and one thing only: legit fro yo. Happily, we have such an establishment in our building, so we went straight there. Did I get a giant container of it? Yes. Did I inhale it? Darn right, I did.

DSC01080

I hope y’all are having a good week thus far, and happy Wednesday!

What’s your favorite recovery food?

When you find a meal that works, do you rely on it or do you mix it up?

Do you have big plans for the 4th of July?

15 thoughts on “WIAW: I’m Baaaa-aaack!

1. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness July 3, 2013 / 8:39 am

ahh welcome back pretty face!!! YAY i’m so glad your surgery went well and you’re having a good post-op reaction!! yay!!! these eats look mighty delicious. froyo is by far my favorite recovery food. i’ve been on a hard froyo kick lately, so just add sprinkles and im happy. when i find a food i like- i eat it allll the time. i love a routine, and food is no different. this past winter it was pho, and this summer its tabouli salad (cant get enough) anyways rest up, sounds like you have today covered what with the joan rivers documentary (awesome choice) and the mags and get back to 110% soon! happy 4th!!

2. jessielovestorun July 3, 2013 / 9:04 am

So happy your back with us. I’ve missed you & your lovely posts. Glad to hear that surgery went well, and recovery seems to be going smooth too. If only we didn’t live so far away, I’d go run & get you another bowl of frozen yogurt 🙂

3. Kate July 3, 2013 / 9:11 am

Welcome back and speediest of recovery wishes being sent your way!

4. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama July 3, 2013 / 9:12 am

Welcome back! I’ve missed you! And can I please come over for dinner because your meals look so yummy and healthy? I work from home, and it’s still a struggle to get something presentable/edible on the table every day. Might have something to do with my workaholic tendencies and the fact that while I LOVE to eat I don’t like to cook. Enjoy your recovery time! So glad to hear you’re on the mend and feeling better!

5. Becky @ Olives n Wine July 3, 2013 / 9:40 am

I’m so happy to hear that everything went well and that you’re feeling great with no pain so far!! I hope that trend continues 🙂 And eat allllll of the froyo you desire my friend – it IS the best recovery food!

6. Christine@ Apple of My Eye July 3, 2013 / 10:35 am

I’m so glad the surgery went well! Fro yo is necessary for complete recovery, so you should eat your weight in it just to be safe ;). Glad to have you back!

7. Mariette July 3, 2013 / 10:37 am

I’m really glad the surgery went well! I hope you’ll be fully back in action in no time!

8. Alex @ therunwithin July 3, 2013 / 12:10 pm

woooo! so pumped when i saw this gem from you. I am happy you are staying positive and feeling good.

9. Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles July 3, 2013 / 12:18 pm

Sooo glad it went well!! Now it’s all good stuff from here! Happy 4th and enjoy your time resting.

10. chasingchels July 3, 2013 / 1:37 pm

Yay!!! I’m glad that you’re back and feeling great!! Fingers crossed it stays that way and you have a wonderful 4th of July with your man 🙂

11. livliveslife July 3, 2013 / 4:50 pm

I’m so glad to hear the surgery went well – and that you’re back!
    Frozen yogurt is the ultimate meal of champions. For sure. I’m glad you decided to get the big bowl. 🙂
    Enjoy your holiday weekend!

12. lifeaslisaknowsit July 3, 2013 / 5:46 pm

I’m glad that you’re back and feeling great with no pain so far! 🙂

13. musingsoftheamusingmuse July 3, 2013 / 7:22 pm

Welcome back!! I’m so glad to know you’re on the mend!!

No plans for the 4th, though I might go try out some fireworks photography.

Recovery food? It used to be chicken noodle soup – now, I really don’t have one. I’ll go with “whatever is in the cupboards/fridge and looks good”. Since I’m switching to “mostly Paleo-style” – I have been eating a LOT more fruits, veggies and meats and eating up what is left of the non-Paleo stuffs.

As for what happens when I find a meal that works? I mix it up. Always make the written recipe first and if that was good – “make it your own” afterwards.

14. Jorie July 3, 2013 / 7:43 pm

Glad the surgery went well, Lillian! Hope you’re on the road to a speedy recovery, m’dear.

15. Liz @ The Girl on Fire Now July 4, 2013 / 9:59 pm

Fro yo is one of them … hmm maybe fruit? Oh and honey and tea and yogurt :):)

I rely on a meal until I get sick of it. During the school year, I ate oatmeal so often that one morning it just nauseated me. It seems I am hopping on that band wagon now, but with I am trying to take more different breakfast breaks.

Glad the surgery went well!