MIMM: Cookies, a Pedi, and Continued Improvement

Good morning, everyone!

The good news: I keep feeling better and better, so I’m definitely on the mend. *Does happy dance* It’s amazing how feeling bad can make you acutely aware of — and thankful for — the times when you feel good. Every time I notice how much better I feel, I get really, really happy (and really, really grateful).

The bad news: it’s Monday. (One of my talents is stating the obvious. The other? Walking into fixed objects. As my Sunday school teacher used to say, God gave us all special gifts.)

I find that, for me at least, Mondays are a consistent source of an emotion that can only be described as “Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh.” I don’t mind the bit about getting up early — left to my own devices, I generally do that anyways — but commuting? Uuuuuuuuugh. Going to work? Uuuuuuuuuuugh. Not seeing the sun all day? Uuuuuuuuuuugh. (This gets a bajillion times worse in the winter, since that’s when I can literally go from Monday through Friday without seeing the sun. I’M GOING TO GET RICKETS, PEOPLE. RICKETS!)

I find that all my Marvelous in My Monday material comes from the weekend, and this week is no different. So, although the work weeks may suck away my will to live (third talent: use of exaggeration for dramatic effect), the weekends are comparatively fabulous! Before I dive into the weekend marvelousness, I’d like to thank the lovely Katie from Healthy Diva Eats for hosting this lovely shin-dig. Muchas gracias, mamacita! πŸ™‚

Among the marvelous offerings this weekend were:

• A freakin’ amaaaaaaaaaaazing strawberry Bellini I had with dinner on Friday night. This thing was sublime, people. It was sweet, light, and crisp — basically, the perfect beverage for a summer weekend.

Strawberry Bellini

• The pedicure I finally got with my bright pink Essie polish, which I lurve. I feel about my pink nail polish the same way I that feel about my pink jacket: it might make the uber buttoned-up DC folks take me less seriously — people who wear bright colors tend to be looked upon skeptically here — but I don’t care. I’m on a mission to be unabashedly myself instead of acquiescing to DC culture (which, the longer I’m here and the older I get, the more I’ve realized is basically antithetical to every element of my personality), and this is part of that motif.

DSC01087

• I spent yesterday on a bit of a baking binge, and I whipped up some pretty fabulous GF oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies using Pamela’s GF Oatmeal Cookie mix and Enjoy Life allergen-free chocolate chunks. These babies are also dairy-free, so they’re safe for those of us upon whom lactose hates. I’m taking them to work today in order to ease the Monday grossness for everyone; although cookies don’t solve all problems (although wouldn’t it be great if they did? I can see it now: Boss is throwing a fit? Cookies! Computer crashed? Cookies! Building is on fire? Cookies!), they’ll at least make today a bit more manageable for the office crowd.

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I hope everyone has a lovely Monday (well, as lovely as Mondays can be) and that the day goes by quickly!

What was the best part of your weekend?

What’s your favorite kind of cookie?

What’s the best adult beverage you’ve ever had?

15 thoughts on “MIMM: Cookies, a Pedi, and Continued Improvement

1. Caitlyn July 8, 2013 / 8:25 am

Yay, so glad you are feeling better!!! Love the part about feeling bad makes you realize all the times nothing was wrong. I know when I feel bad or off, I stomp around or lounge around like the world is ending, and don’t stop to think how rare it is that I actually do feel so terribly because all I can focus on is how awful it is at that moment to be feeling so poorly. Did that make any sense? I don’t think it did but basically what I’m trying to say is I get you, haha. And I’ve wanted to try bellinis forever but I always forget about them! That does look insanely delicious.

2. jessielovestorun July 8, 2013 / 8:33 am

How’d you know I love Oatmeal Cookies.. i’ll take a batch please πŸ™‚

3. swissfitchick July 8, 2013 / 8:45 am

I am obsessed with Essie too!! Best nailpolish ever.
    And I love the bright colors too, athough I wear a lot of red, but that always makes me feel so grown up πŸ™‚
    And that Bellini and those Cookies?? Send some over please!

4. ahealthyhappyhome July 8, 2013 / 9:23 am

Ummm… the bellini looks amazing! Anything light, fresh and delicious is on my list lately with the heat we’ve been having! Ahhh…. pedicures are the best aren’t they!?!

5. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness July 8, 2013 / 10:01 am

ooohh that strawberry bellini looks incredible! i’m wearing bright pink essie too! mine is called “bottle service” (i love their names) and for the first time in forever, i got a manicure in the same bright pink as my pedi (normally i get a polite light pink on my hands if i get a mani) and boston is sorta the same way as dc- you dont see a lot of bold nail colors around here- but whatever its july and its fun! bottom line. so yay for pushing the boundaries of nail color! those cookies look delicious, asking me to pick my favorite cookie is like asking me to pick my favorite child. granted i dont have kids, but if i did i think it would be easier to choose a favorite among them than a cookie.

6. chasingchels July 8, 2013 / 11:08 am

Yes!! I’m sooo happy that you’re feeling better πŸ™‚ I hope you continue to heal and get back into your old way of life sooner rather than later!! I LOVE pedicures…seriously, one of the best things ever invented after chocolate, froyo, running shoes, and massages. I need at least one before the end of the summer…probably have to wait until August or so since I already spent my fun money in July (those 4th of July sales totally sucked me in so I’m now broke for the rest of the month…but at least I’ll look sooooo much cuter than I would have otherwise, right πŸ˜‰ )….thanks for planting that idea though…definitely need to make sure I keep that in mind and make it happen πŸ˜€

7. Becky @ Olives n Wine July 8, 2013 / 3:34 pm

Oooh that bellini looks amazing! Best adult beverage… Probably a margarita on a beach. But let’s be serious now, any drink on a beach is pretty dang amazing πŸ˜‰

8. Michelle @ 3cheaprunners July 8, 2013 / 5:23 pm

…I disagree…cookies can really make everything better…ESPECIALLY on a Monday morning πŸ˜‰
    PS. After seeing yours…I think I need to order a Bellini somewhere this week when I am out!!!

9. Jorie July 8, 2013 / 5:50 pm

Those cookies look delish, Lillian! Our fridge is on the fritz so I am lacking in ingredients for baking fresh cookies … which means I’m especially jonesing for some.

Glad to hear you’re feeling better!

10. cjoye7 July 8, 2013 / 6:36 pm

Hooray!!! So glad you’re feeling better! And you’re right – cookies should be the answer to all of life’s problems…

11. livliveslife July 8, 2013 / 7:49 pm

Wow, you have a lot of talents. πŸ˜‰
    I’m so glad to hear you’re feeling better. You’re absolutely right, too – I never realize just how great it is to feel good until I don’t. It’s so easy to take that for granted.
    That Bellini looks and sounds just perfect.
    The cookies look delicious! I swear I can smell them…yum. They’re most definitely the ultimate fix for the Mondays.

12. Alex @ therunwithin July 8, 2013 / 8:02 pm

whoa that drink looks amazingggg like freaking good. I mean I feel like I have more pep in my step monday morning and then the afternoon hits and I am like WHY GOD WHY. but you know not complaining… haha

13. musingsoftheamusingmuse July 8, 2013 / 9:35 pm

The best part of my weekend was the fact that I had nothing, absolutely NOTHING, planned. At all. It was great.

My favorite cookie once-upon-a-time were Pepperidge Farm’s Sausalito cookies… followed by their Chesapeake cookies. Chunks of chocolate. Nuts. Heaven. Now? Still chocolate chip/chunk cookies with big pieces of nuts.

Favorite Adult Beverage? Tough call. I like my adult beverages, but I have to say that the margaritas I had in Cozumel, Mexico, at Pancho’s Backyard while sitting on the beach, under a palm tree were, by far, the best in memory right now.