Weekend Recap

Aaaaand just like that, the weekend is over. Blergh. I don’t know about you guys, but this is how I feel each and every week:

No dice on that one, I’m afraid — but at the very least, I can revel in the fact that I had a lovely weekend. I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning, and I decided to take advantage of this and get some errands done before the hordes of people descended.

A quick side note about DC: it takes freaking forever to get anything done around here. Between traffic, finding parking, dealing with the crowds in the store, and then waiting to check out, two errands — like hitting up Walgreen’s and Trader Joe’s — can take hours under normal circumstances. There have been times when our entire afternoon is consumed by just going out to lunch and hitting up Whole Foods on the way home, so I decided to circumvent that whole mess and hit the road at 7:45.

Happily, it wound up being awesome. I was one of the only people at Walgreen’s, and TJ’s was blissfully lacking in huge crowds. I was out and done in record time, which was a huge win! I also picked up epic loot at TJ’s; I didn’t get a picture before putting everything away, but let’s just say I could’ve used a barge to transport it home.

After the grocery run, I met one of my dear friends for coffee — which, I must say, was awesome. Once we had caffeinated ourselves and talked for aaaaaaages (it’s a time-honored tradition with us), I came back to find Brandon watching The Conjuring. Now, Brandon and I have divergent views on horror movies: Brandon really likes them, but I hate — nay, abhor with every fiber of my being — anything even remotely scary.

I have a wildly over-active imagination, which means the slightest hint of something scary will send me over the edge. I’m 32, and I totally close my eyes during previews for horror movies. When I finally got up the nerve to watch Scream in 1998 — a movie that most of my friends thought was funny because it was just so campy and ridiculous — I could barely answer the phone for a week.

So, I created a rule that Brandon can only watch horror movies when I’m not home. Since I was at coffee for a few hours, he understandably seized the opportunity to watch the horror movie he was most interested in. It wound up working out well: when I got home from Starbucks, I knew I needed to hit the gym — but my motivation was flagging. Knowing that The Conjuring was playing in my living room? MOTIVATION RECOVERED. I grabbed a magazine and my headphones and then booked it towards the door. I. Was. Outta there.

This is an alarmingly accurate depiction of what I look like after merely *hearing* the previews for horror movies.

After 50 minutes of cardio, I was pleased to find that the movie was long since over once I got back. Biggest sigh of relief ever, y’all.

After a busy Saturday, I spent most of Sunday getting caught up on stuff around the apartment. Sundays tend to be my big chore days — when I clean, do laundry, and chop veggies/act as my own sous chef — and this week was no different.ย  I get all kinds of discombobulated and flustered when things aren’t in order for the week ahead, so Sundays are when I prepare, organize, and try to come up with ways to save time during the week. (Outer order equals inner peace, folks.) I had a truly ludicrous pile of laundry to deal with and an equally ludicrous pile of veggies to chop up, so one could say that I had my work cut out for me.

Yup, a Mt. Everest-sized pile of laundry seems about right.

I did, however, take a break from all this in order to hit the gym. I’d intended to go for a run, since the weather we’ve been having lately — cool, crisp, and sunny — feels sublime after an oppressively hot and humid DC summer, but my running route was blocked off as part of the Marine Corps Marathon.

As I headed to the gym as my Plan B, I thought about all the people running the marathon and promptly realized that I have a confession to make: when it comes to running, I max out at 4 miles. I can eke out five miles if I’m really, really feeling awesome and ambitious.

But a marathon? Nope. I mean, I know marathons are all the rage these days. Marathons are one of the trendiest trends ever right now, and it seems like everybody who’s anybody is doing them. Those people all deserve major credit for doing something so challenging, because holy crap — that’s an impressive undertaking.

That said, though, I’m actually pretty sure I’m the only health/fitness-ish blogger alive who isn’t in marathon or half marathon training — which probably totally negates my credibility as someone interested in health and fitness — but I can’t even express how much my knees start screaming in protest when I even contemplate running a marathon.

This course is about 21 miles too long for me and my creaky knees.

So, that’s my big “I’m a lame health blogger” confession: I have no desire to run a marathon. Do I love running in 5Ks? Heck yeah. Do I love solitary four milers? Absolutely. But marathons are so, so not in my future. Forgive me, running gods, for I have sinned!

That being said (please don’t turn me into the health blogging police!), I also took a break from my mountain of chores to watch my beloved Broncos take on the Redskins. As a displaced Coloradan who only gets to see her boys when they play on national TV (as opposed to every Sunday back in the Motherland, le sigh), this was a big deal. I like to get decked out for game day in all my Broncos paraphernalia, which probably looks ridiculous — but whatevs, anything in the name of team spirit! (Is it overkill to wear a Broncos sweatshirt while drinking out of a Broncos glass? I think not.)

Anyways, now that another work week is upon us, I hope you’re all getting your day off to a good start!

And, with that, tell me: what was the highlight of your weekend?

17 thoughts on “Weekend Recap

1. jessielovestorun October 28, 2013 / 10:06 am

Psh, so you don’t like to run – good thing you’re awesomeness makes up for it ๐Ÿ™‚ ps… i hate scary movie too!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 29, 2013 / 9:11 am

Aw thanks, Jessie! ๐Ÿ™‚ The weird thing is, that it’s not that I don’t like to run — I do really like it, I just don’t have any desire to run a marathon. I’m a low-level runner that way. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope your day is going well!

2. Alex @ therunwithin October 28, 2013 / 12:24 pm

Eh whatever, some people like running, some hate it. My sister refuses to run but likes doing other things to stay active. Totally respect that. Um can we meet up? I mean it. I mean getting to each other may be an all day task but maybe we can meet in the middle?

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 29, 2013 / 9:13 am

I’d love to meet up! We can totally figure out someplace in the middle of our respective ‘hoods — you let me know when your schedule permits, and we’ll figure something out. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Alex @ therunwithin October 29, 2013 / 12:34 pm

I am free this Saturday after work (I get off at 5), not sure if there is somewhere we could meet in the middle. I suck at DC locations still haha – possibly froyo? coffee? walk?

3. Michelle @ 3cheaprunners October 28, 2013 / 12:27 pm

The best part of my weekend was spent snuggling under a super soft compfy blanket and reading yesterday afternoon!

4. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama October 28, 2013 / 2:03 pm

You are just smarter than the rest of us by staying away from the marathon! I’m signed up for Richmond in less than three weeks, and I’m trying very hard not to think about how totally insane I am! The best part of my weekend was taking my 4 y/o trunk-or-treating. The worst part, sitting in urgent care with my little one. Pneumonia, but thankfully we caught it early.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 29, 2013 / 9:14 am

Oh, I hope your little one is ok! Pneumonia is no fun, and it’s obviously a huge relief that you guys caught it early. I’m sending lots of good thoughts her way for a speedy recovery!

5. Taryn October 28, 2013 / 2:35 pm

I watch Scream whenever it’s on TV, but it still freaks me out (as any horror movie does) – I can’t put my feet on the floor when I’m sitting on the couch or bed, and forget about taking a shower. That just does not happen after watching a scary movie. Ever.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 29, 2013 / 9:16 am

Dude, SERIOUSLY. I can completely relate. I was so wigged out by just hearing the plot synopsis of Paranormal Activity — I didn’t even see it, a colleague just told me about it — that I slept with half the lights on in my apartment for the next three nights. Oy.

6. Charlotte October 28, 2013 / 8:26 pm

ha i will never run a marathon- if thats wrong for a health blogger to admit then i dont want to be right ๐Ÿ™‚ im so in awe and inspired by those who do, but its just not for me. also- i know what you mean by having to get chores/errands done sunday so you’re set for the week ahead- i didnt do it this week and im so thrown off – and now i dont know whether to do all this sh*t in the middle of the week like a hooligan or put it off to the weekend??? can i wait that long?? ahh these are the things i wrestle with. and scary movies = thumbs down. im plenty scared by my own shadow, i dont need the masters of hollywood to give me nightmares. im all stocked up thanks.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 29, 2013 / 9:20 am

Ok, so now I’m LOLing at the phrase “Doing all this sh*t in the middle of the week like a hooligan,” because oy vey, that’s EXACTLY what happens when I don’t do my organizing shizz during the weekend. Tuesday/Wednesday roll around, and I’m starting to froth at the mouth because I’m so totally disorganized and frazzled to the point of dysfunction, so I just turn into a whirlwind of “MUST CLEAN AND ORGANIZE ALL THE THINGS” while I run manically around the apartment. It’s not pretty. So, in sum: honey, I can totally relate!

7. Robin October 29, 2013 / 5:05 am

no worries. I love health and fitness and will never run….ever. just not my thing either….

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 29, 2013 / 9:21 am

I’m glad I’m not the only health and fitness person who doesn’t have a marathon in her future! ๐Ÿ™‚ The thing is, I do love running — I just love running distances between 3-5 miles. The whole 26.2 gig, by contrast, totally makes me want to cry. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures October 29, 2013 / 9:58 am

Your weekend sounds fabulous – from friends and coffee to two workouts! That’s awesome!! And girlfriend, I’m with you on the scary movies. Leave me out of it. I won’t even watch scary ish shows because of my imagination and nightmares. OMG nightmares like crazy. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Glad you got your errands in before the storm of people hit the town!
    And that’s super cool that the marathon was going on while you worked out! Don’t feel like you’ve sinned because you won’t do a marathon… Any type of running is wonderful running!!
    Have a wonderful Tuesday!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 30, 2013 / 6:42 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one in the “No way am I watching scary movies” boat! ๐Ÿ™‚