WIAW: Volume Eating + Weird Gym Experiences, Part II

Good morning, and happy Wednesday! The weekend is in sight, y’all, and that alone is deserving of a happy dance.

It’s been a while since I did a WIAW post, so I figured it’d be a good time to discuss what I’m noshing on now that I’ve re-joined Weight Watchers. First and foremost, thanks are due to Jenn, the lovely mamacita who hosts this shindig over at Peas & Crayons!

As for foodstuffs, the WW strategy is all about volume eating.  From what I can tell, the WW Points values are based on Volumetrics: an approach that focuses on feeling full by eating a high volume of foods that have low caloric density. Basically, it focuses on low-fat, low-calorie foods with a premium on lean protein and lots of produce. So, that’s what I’ve been inhaling in almost Conehead-esque style.

Breakfasts have involved my usual toast with coffee — I’m on a hazelnut coffee kick these days, so I’ve been brewing that stuff up like a champ.

DSC00678

After hitting the gym, I’ve been having either scrambled egg whites with sauteed spinach or a fruit and kale smoothie:

DSC01156

DSC00681

Snacks: Since volume eating focuses so heavily on produce, my snacks are composed mainly of fruits and veggies — namely bananas, apples, grapefruit, Thai cole slaw (shredded cabbage with GF Thai peanut sauce), and celery with a Greek yogurt dill dip. Beyond produce, I’ve also snacked on popcorn, low-fat string cheese, and puffed corn cakes topped with hummus, pea shoots, and organic turkey. (These concoctions were unexpectedly delicious. *Drools*)

DSC01158

DSC00908

Oh, and let’s not forget about tea, since I drink ridiculous amounts of the stuff. Green tea, Rooibos chai, herbal infusions, the list goes on…basically, it’s a really good thing I have an electric kettle in my office. I also might have an entire cabinet shelf at home dedicated completely to my tea stockpile. I will neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

DSC01137

Lunches have been brought to me by the good folks at Imagine Soups: I’ve been combining 1 cup of a vegetable-based soup (thus far, Garden Broccoli and Carrot Almond are my favorites) with sauteed spinach, onions, and a half cup of cooked lentils to bulk it up a bit. It’s delicious and filling, and it’s been perfect for the cold days we’ve we had earlier in the week.

DSC01162

Dinners have run a wide gamut, but I confess that I didn’t get a picture of a single thing. We tend to cook during the week and eat out on the weekends, so I ate offerings such as this recipe for chickpea and herb salad from Epicurious, turkey-veggie chili (a recycled picture is below), a chicken salad from Chipotle topped with Trader Joe’s Reduced Guilt Guacamole (side note: this stuff is AMAZING), and Greek salad with grilled chicken from one of our favorite restaurants.

DSC00675

Desserts have also focused on low-calorie foods, such as these chocolate chip meringues from Gina at Skinnytaste.com and dehydrated fruit from Trader Joe’s. Confession: my chocolate chip clouds didn’t turn out to be nearly as cute and photogenic as the ones pictured in the link above. They actually look, well, fugly. So, instead of me posting a picture here, humor me and let’s pretend that they look as adorable as the originals. Ok? Deal? Awesome!

Also, thank you guys for the comments on yesterday’s post. Y’all have no idea how relieved I am to know that I’m not the only person who sees weird, weird shizz happen at the gym.

I actually have one more story to add to that list: after I graduated college, I briefly lived in Philly before moving to DC. I was quite desperately under-employed at the time, so when I wasn’t job hunting my tail off, I was usually at the gym. Of course, my apartment had it’s one Weird Gym Dude, and he liked to try to talk to me whenever he could (despite being old enough to be my dad). This was how I looked whenever he tried to start up a conversation, because these attempts gave me that icky “Ew, you’re trying to hit on me” feeling, as opposed to the “Oh, you’re a harmless, normal person who just wants to be friendly” feeling:

One day I was on the bike, and I happened to be multi-tasking by reviewing my college Arabic textbook. (Gotta keep those language skills fresh!) Homeslice walked up to me — wearing a weighted vest, no less, which he’d recently taken to donning while he nearly gave himself a coronary on the treadmill — and said, with as much suaveness as he could muster, “Miss, are you a native speaker of Arabic?”

Now by this point, I had no patience for this guy. This was, like, attempt # 2,594 to strike up conversation with me, and I was in a particularly bad mood that day. I’d been having problems with my boyfriend. I was feeling particularly discouraged by the job hunt. I was tired. I was cranky. I was not in the mood to deal with Señor Kevlar Vest.

“No,” I said. “If I was, would I be reading an Introduction to Arabic book?”

“Well,” he replied, “I only ask because you’re very exotic looking. You have a foreign, exotic beauty about you.”

I was flabbergasted by this (first because it’s lecherous and gross, but second because I’m SO not exotic — I’m Irish and Welsh, so I’m basically the most milquetoast person ever), so I said nothing and just gave him a look which I hope conveyed the “WTF, dude?” that was running  through my mind.

image

And with that, he walked away and began his daily ritual of trying to force his heart to explode while running at full speed with his weighted vest.  I got a job in DC and moved out of that apartment not long after, so I didn’t see much of him after that — but to say the least, he’s the reason I implemented a policy of never removing my headphones at the gym.

Aaaaaanyways, with all that being said, I hope everyone is having a good week — happy Wednesday!

Have you ever had weird conversations with weird people at the gym (or anywhere, for that matter?) What did you do?

20 thoughts on “WIAW: Volume Eating + Weird Gym Experiences, Part II

1. jessielovestorun October 30, 2013 / 9:09 am

Ha Ha Ha Ha! That may be the best pick up line I’ve ever heard.I’m literally dying of laughter over here.. so much that little Roxy thinks it’s play time.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 30, 2013 / 6:29 pm

Aaaaah! This made you laugh so hard that Roxy thinks it’s playtime? WIN! Day complete! 🙂

2. Taryn October 30, 2013 / 9:49 am

So since you’re a tea fanatic, help me out. I am not a tea drinker by any means, but I’d like to start drinking tea. Any suggestions for the easiest tasting tea? (Does that even make sense? Hahah.) It took me a very long time to enjoy coffee, so I’m hoping my taste buds have changed enough to include tea now, too!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 30, 2013 / 6:28 pm

It makes total sense — I didn’t start out liking tea very much, so I totally hear you on this. I’d start with some of the flavored teas, since straight green, black, and white teas tend to taste bitter on their own. If you like fruity things, Yogi Teas and Celestial Seasonings both have some good fruity flavors. If you like spicy flavors…actually, I’d recommend the same brands. Celestial Seasoning’s Bengal Spice tea is one of my all-time faves, as is the Numi Rooibos Chai pictured here. They’re both caffeine-free, too. If you’re looking for a tea with some caffeine, go with green and black teas (again, go with the flavored variety). In all cases, feel free to add honey/stevia/sweetener of your choice!

• Susie October 30, 2013 / 7:04 pm

Also, don’t overbrew your tea! Black, green, and white tea only need to be steeped for a few minutes (depending on the variety, the time will differ). If you steep tea for too long, it will get more and more bitter.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 30, 2013 / 7:39 pm

Yes, yes, and yes! Susie, you should add “tea adviser” to your list of services at SSCC. 🙂

3. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama October 30, 2013 / 9:55 am

Ba ha ha ha! That is the funniest, creepiest gym story ever. Thanks for sharing with us! And, can I get a Hell Yeah for soup season?! Mmmmm, soup!

4. Caitlin @ The Siren's Tale October 30, 2013 / 12:25 pm

There are so many creepers at the gym! I remember back in college, I used to go late at night before closing. There would be about 5 people in the entire gym at 10pm, and there was a man who literally was attached to me. It didn’t matter if 20 treadmills were open, he’d jog alongside next to mine. Weights? He’d be right there too. One day, I had enough of his small talk and shadow-like existence, so I didn’t respond to him when he started talking. After a few minutes of awkwardness, he said, “Wow, you’re really in the zone today, huh? Not even a word!”

My response? “Well sir, that’s why people come to the gym. To work-out. To be in the zone. Not to be followed around endlessly by someone mimicking a boy who lost his puppy. If you don’t mind, I’m gonna get back to it.”

Rude? Yes. Got the point across? YES!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte October 30, 2013 / 6:20 pm

Omigod, that’s quite possibly the best reply ever. EVER. It sounds like one of those moments when you wish someone had gotten it all on tape, because recording it for posterity would be amazing. Well played!

5. susieschroeder October 30, 2013 / 7:04 pm

You are *so* exotic (rolls eyes… and then dies of laughter)

6. Alex @ therunwithin October 30, 2013 / 7:56 pm

I really want to try making my own soup or stew, I feel like it would really help how crazy my weeks are and already having things ready to eat.

7. Amy @ Long Drive Journey October 30, 2013 / 9:06 pm

Haha that gym story is great! I thought you were going to end it by saying, “and now five years later, I am married to that creepy guy” or something like that. I kind of like your ending better though!

8. Charlotte October 30, 2013 / 9:34 pm

lol! i was once told by a creeper that i had a beautiful neck. ummm… yeah all i could think of was that he was probably having fantasies about strangling me and, if i remember correctly, i literally ran away. like, theres no being polite at that point. i was in a bar and i turned on my heels, grabbed my friend and ran.

9. Cindy Jillie October 30, 2013 / 11:12 pm

Oh, WOW, Lillian! I haven’t laughed this loud in years. You last 2 posts! Hilarious, dear girl. I’m quitting the gym until I can control my giggles.

10. Jorie October 31, 2013 / 10:18 am

Hahaha! I so wish I had snappier comebacks when stuff like this happens but I usually end up defaulting to my polite setting and the gym creeper *leeches* onto politeness. It’s his sustaining life force!

11. Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures October 31, 2013 / 12:44 pm

WW is such an awesome program, and it sounds like you’re doing a wonderful job keeping up with it. Pea shoots are SO good!! You’ve just reminded me that I need to buy some this weekend! I am the same way with my man – we eat in on the week nights and eat out a lot on the weekends. It’s not the best habit… LOL!
    My baking NEVER turns out like the pictures that I follow so I have accepted that I’m just awful at baking and cooking. What can you do? LOL!
    That soup looks DIVINE. I have got to make soup this season at least once.. Yum!!

12. Ttrockwood November 3, 2013 / 12:22 am

Thank you for joining WW and not following an extreme or bizarre starvation diet or fad. Their program really teaches you how to eat as a lifestyle vs how to follow insane rules that have questionable longterm health consequences.